High-profile scams at the airport are threatening Thailand's allure for tourists

webfact

trying to cheat passengers, particularly foreigners, whom they view as easy targets. These unscrupulous habits threaten to drive visitors away and damage Thailand's allure for tourists.

This is so common...cheating foreigners...that it has already driven away many potential visitors...Thailand is damaged goods as a tourist destination...

'To deal with the rogues, authorities need to properly enforce the rules already in place ...' No! What they need to do is to stop faffing about. Complaints certainly have a common connection - the same drivers. Three strikes. One oral warning; one written warning - then out.

When they first declared all Taxi's would have to run meters, there were huge rumblings down here in Samui,

First of all the taxis had to put in meters as before it was a minimum of 250 to go a few hundred metres and 3 kilometres would be about 500 baht..

I spoke to a few of the drivers and they weren't happy, they had a meeting and all got large stickers on the side that there was a 100 fee to start the ride and then would be metered from there..Guess what, it never happened, they still refuse to turn on the meters and it costs 250 baht mininum to go anywhere on an island that has little traffic compared to the mainland.Fter 11pm or so you can Double that price, If you want to travel 30 kilometrtes after going to a club till 3am you are looking at about 1200 baht, if you can speak Thai and know the routine, otherwise add another 3-400 baht...But they get away with it

Because this little island is controlled by Mafia who are also the Taxi drivers boss'..It's a well known fact, has been that way for over 20 years and they all carry weapons in their car and are not scared to show them off....

If coming From the airport to 3 kilometres away any time of day is 400 baht...If you speak Thai..500 otherwise!!!!

Please can someone sort this out, no other hard working Thai's make 4-5000 baht a day....

The local mafia taxi and Police make me want to puke....Sort it out Junta..

they already did this about 15 years ago at DM. The lines were huge and the inevitable long wait was a big PIA. Not for me thanks, not again! When I arrive I just want to get the hell out of there and get home.

I still just go up to the departure level and get a cab dropping off. No waiting. I generally have no problem. But then knowing where you are going, plus, as someone mentioned in another related thread, if you are able to speak decent Thai like an 'old hand', doors will open for you, cab doors that is, not to mention the opening of the meter too. BTW I am only about 24 K from the Airport. Very rarely will the cabbie try it on, if he does I just go to the next one. There is no shortage of them.

When I do get the cab and the cabbie is a good, fair, honest bloke, the meter is on, no mucking about, I am ALWAYS very appreciative for his service and his honesty and generally reward him quite well with a decent tip. A decent tip really only being a few dollars in my native currency.

Thais are notorious whingers. Cabbies are fair game. it doesn't surprise me about the number of complaints. I come from a country where cabs are scarce, outrageously expensive, they are a protected industry with tight restrictions on numbers, often they are dirty and the cabbie speaks in a foreign language and doesn't know where he is going. For me Thailand is Taxi Heaven. At least the cabbies here are 'natives of their country.

20 years ago, where I live in outer suburban Bangkok, if you went into town for a night out or to meet visiting friends, it was dreadfully difficult to get a cab home late at night, no one wanted to take you. So I know how frustrating this can be. But all that has changed now as cabs are plentiful 24/7.

• Like 1

When they first declared all Taxi's would have to run meters, there were huge rumblings down here in Samui,

First of all the taxis had to put in meters as before it was a minimum of 250 to go a few hundred metres and 3 kilometres would be about 500 baht..

I spoke to a few of the drivers and they weren't happy, they had a meeting and all got large stickers on the side that there was a 100 fee to start the ride and then would be metered from there..Guess what, it never happened, they still refuse to turn on the meters and it costs 250 baht mininum to go anywhere on an island that has little traffic compared to the mainland.Fter 11pm or so you can Double that price, If you want to travel 30 kilometrtes after going to a club till 3am you are looking at about 1200 baht, if you can speak Thai and know the routine, otherwise add another 3-400 baht...But they get away with it

Because this little island is controlled by Mafia who are also the Taxi drivers boss'..It's a well known fact, has been that way for over 20 years and they all carry weapons in their car and are not scared to show them off....

If coming From the airport to 3 kilometres away any time of day is 400 baht...If you speak Thai..500 otherwise!!!!

Please can someone sort this out, no other hard working Thai's make 4-5000 baht a day....

The local mafia taxi and Police make me want to puke....Sort it out Junta..

I was last in Samui in 1992. I decided never to go back. It sounds like things haven't changed much. Don't mess with this 'Samui Folk'