Patong is dead.

hansgruber

Or until there's a drop in tea money / bungs. Authority clean ups seem to tackle anything except the considerable amount of stuff that's in the 'Too Hard' tray. Or to put it another way, clean up the stuff that don't make a toss of difference but inconveniences the most.

Along similar lines...........a friend suggested today that it was done to show who is in charge, that they can do this as and when they like AND more Tea Money is needed to make this go away!!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or until there's a drop in tea money / bungs. Authority clean ups seem to tackle anything except the considerable amount of stuff that's in the 'Too Hard' tray. Or to put it another way, clean up the stuff that don't make a toss of difference but inconveniences the most.

Along similar lines...........a friend suggested today that it was done to show who is in charge, that they can do this as and when they like AND more Tea Money is needed to make this go away!!

Exactly what I was thinking. A periodic display to reinforce the need to provide brown envelopes.

Exactly what I was thinking. A periodic display to reinforce the need to provide brown envelopes.

You know few years back I was skeptical of this statement until I saw it happen first hand at 2 different massage shops when the police came around to collect the envelopes. They come back every few months and collect. Certain cops come round hang out for little while, they get their money and they come back when its time again. Never see them in between collections. What a bleeped society.

Agreed. Seems like the top of the pecking order as to whose in charge seems to be the tuk-tuk mafia and jet-ski operators, seeing as they don't seem to have been 'shown' too much otherwise.

Maybe that this police activity was part of a more coordinated effort across a number of places. Chiang Mai had a fairly significant 'raid' on the same night with 100+ cops hitting the Zoe nightspot. Rounded up people for random urine tests and detained anyone without a passport or copy of it. Similar in Pattaya too it seems.

All back to semi normal last night (by semi mean the 3-4am closing time for bars and clubs still in effect)

Was definitely part of the Pattaya/Chiang Mai raids, which seem to be tied to crack down on foreign criminal gangs and criminals announced a few weeks ago..the 'good guys in bad guys out' thing (they have developed a theory that all foreign criminals are overstaying), but not heard of people being detained here for not having their passport on them.

Could be because actually not that many real foreign criminals really operating down here, unlike say Pattaya

Not connected to terror alert AFAIK.

More to with the dismembered Spaniard in BKK and couple of westerners shooting each other few weeks back combined with new general theory by immigration/police that most foreign criminals are on overstay.

They have been warning of clamp down for last month or so

I went out a couple of nights after the "raid" and everything seemed back to normal and the bar owners have been told that 2 a.m. is the closing time, whereas a couple of them said it was now 3 a.m.!!

Don't know about the discos or whatever, however at 2 a.m. when I was wending my way home, I did notice a long queue outside of "Seduction" so perhaps the people were pouring out of the bars and into the disco?

Although Bangla was crowded, Soi Freedom had far fewer customers in it than it had on my last few visits, yet just days earlier apparently it was just about full down at the end where the band plays, so it was no surprise when the bar owner said that everything had been up and down and he really couldn't predict what the evening was going to be like.

Had a drink in the "Black Horse" and that was pleasant enough because it wasn't at all crowded and not too noisy, so sitting there watching the world go by was a pleasant pastime for a short while.

The usual rocking clubs were fairly full, but not as many as in the past, however I did notice a lot of much younger folk wandering around the place, so much so that they stood out and one bar I was at was suddenly inundated by about six young French guys, who behaved themselves with just a little boisterousness, which is to be expected. Also met three guys from Czechoslovakia and a little group from Scotland – – very cosmopolitan that night.

Still the general consensus is that the spend is nowhere near what it was/has been in the past and that looks like it is a pretty consistent trend.

On to other areas of Patong and I noticed that the new bar going up where the "Nanai Sports Bar" used to be is going to be called "Amigos Bar and Restaurant" so perhaps the new owners have uncovered a little enclave of Mexicans nearby who will frequent it, because just about no one else has done over the past couple of years or more. Having said that, there might be just a glimmer of hope on the horizon, this if it does produce good Mexican food, because I've given up trying to find any here!

A couple more places just down the road a bit have closed and I noticed that the "Market Bar" is for sale and Manit bar has closed (although I think this may have happened a few months ago and I didn't notice it). Also a little coffee shop/restaurant opposite the Bangkok bank office, just alongside of the entrance to Makro, has closed and it looks like the premises are up for sale.

Whilst the bars and restaurants mentioned in previous posts seem to be languishing, the premises operated by the Tiger Group at the bottom of Soi Nanai 6 looks to be just about ready, however quite what market its after is a bit of a mystery because there appears to be a restaurant area, a seating area, a bar area and some pool tables in another area– – interesting concept, if indeed it is a concept!

As if to cash in on the tourist boom and squillions of baht being spent in this area, a little massage shop has opened up in one of the four little roller blind "shops/spaces" obviously hoping to make its fortune with three chairs for a foot massage and about three massage tables, and three ladies to accompany them.

I think hard times are ahead, irrespective of the "Chinese invasion" and the "return of the Russians", however having seen the price of a room in Nanai range from 350 baht to 800 baht, at least the cheap ones will have somewhere to stay!

<snip>

Whilst the bars and restaurants mentioned in previous posts seem to be languishing, the premises operated by the Tiger Group at the bottom of Soi Nanai 6 looks to be just about ready, however quite what market its after is a bit of a mystery because there appears to be a restaurant area, a seating area, a bar area and some pool tables in another area– – interesting concept, if indeed it is a concept!

<snip>

The new build at the foot of Soi 6 looks to be an extension to the Chang Residence next door (owned by Tiger Group). It has the exact same interior finishes as the ground floor restaurant of the Chang Residence. I've also been having a difficult time trying to figure out just what this space will be used for. Any time I pass by the Chang Residence, the ground floor fairly large restaurant is completely empty, so I don't know why they would be expanding. It looks like they have some sort of buffet set up at Chang Residence, but I've never seen anyone there (including staff), even though I pass by at many different times of day. This new establishment should be opening soon, as it looks like most of the interior finishing work is nearing completion, and they've taken down their "help wanted" sign.

Speaking of a restaurant that does need to expand, Don's BBQ has been packed Saturdays and Sundays this high season. When the bars behind him were demolished, one remained - Trucker Bar, which was recently vacated. Don told me he was taking that space, so I'm hoping he'll drop the rear wall and expand his seating area into what was formerly that bar.

One new business that I haven't heard anyone comment on is California Pizza & Wings on Sai Kor. It looks like it's just about ready to open after a lot of activity there over the past few weeks. If nothing else, I'm impressed by the genuine California State (Bear Republic) flag flying outside!

<snip>

<snip>

The new build at the foot of Soi 6 looks to be an extension to the Chang Residence next door (owned by Tiger Group). It has the exact same interior finishes as the ground floor restaurant of the Chang Residence. I've also been having a difficult time trying to figure out just what this space will be used for. Any time I pass by the Chang Residence, the ground floor fairly large restaurant is completely empty, so I don't know why they would be expanding. It looks like they have some sort of buffet set up at Chang Residence, but I've never seen anyone there (including staff), even though I pass by at many different times of day. This new establishment should be opening soon, as it looks like most of the interior finishing work is nearing completion, and they've taken down their "help wanted" sign.

Speaking of a restaurant that does need to expand, Don's BBQ has been packed Saturdays and Sundays this high season. When the bars behind him were demolished, one remained - Trucker Bar, which was recently vacated. Don told me he was taking that space, so I'm hoping he'll drop the rear wall and expand his seating area into what was formerly that bar.

One new business that I haven't heard anyone comment on is California Pizza & Wings on Sai Kor. It looks like it's just about ready to open after a lot of activity there over the past few weeks. If nothing else, I'm impressed by the genuine California State (Bear Republic) flag flying outside!

Think you are right about the new "whatever it is" in the place next to the Chang residence, although it looks at least as if 50% of the place is set up with tables and chairs, restaurant style. I suppose the two or three people who occasionally eat in the Chang residence opposite will now have a choice of two venues – – lucky them.

I have to say I did get a bit worried at one particular time about Dons barbecue, because the patronage seemed to have fallen off, even when the UK football was on, however that seems to have picked up again now and it has to be the best value around for miles, if not the whole of Patong.

I did notice about a dozen people in the Green Mango about a week ago on the Wednesday night Taco buffet special, however haven't seen that number in there since; the Italian restaurant (resurrected) on the corner of Kasemsarp 2 seems to be setting a record for the amount of people who don't eat there, so they cannot be making anything whatsoever; so in keeping with what's been said before, Nanai Road is not really a place in which one would want to open a bar or restaurant......... but they do!

Glad Don's is still doing ok. Like it there. Even if the T-Rex BBQ isn't my thing these days. Pleasant staff there too.

Have to admit the place seemed to have a bit more ambience for me when the other bars were there vs Makro 2. Plus if course, as ever with Nanai, the relentless bloody traffic noise, depending on where you sit.

• 3 weeks later...

After staying in for a couple of weeks fighting off a virus, I got cabin fever and decided I needed to go out come what may, so a couple of nights ago I ventured forth to Bangla.

Bangla Road itself was busy enough though down on a month before, but then that is to be expected. As has been the norm for some time now the "younger set" bars like New York and Monsoon were busy and later on in the evening, people were queueing to go into Illuzion (never been and I've heard it is a bit of a disco and stage show combined?).

One of my favourite bars, Smiley Bar, had good patronage, even though it had been cut down by some 30% because of a visit from the "powers that be" so the local plod had to ensure that the tables and chairs did not spill out onto the pavement, which in the past they were allowed to do, and will do again once these plod return to Bangkok or from whence they came. So it would appear that the local plod are making money in spite of the central plods dictate– – lucky they're not crooked isn't it!

Ventured down a couple of Sois, and one of my favourites, Soi Freedom to take my place at Island Bar and was surprised that the patronage here since my last visit had dropped off quite markedly and that was the case for most of the Soi, and according to my bar owner friend, this had been the case for the past three weeks or so.

This got me thinking, especially when walking up viewing the other bars and taking into consideration all that which I have seen over the past few years, and also remembering the good old days of Soi Eric, and the thoughts which were predominant centred around that which I have often spoken about as regards the "changing dynamics" and this really came home to me.

In those good old days of Soi Eric, just about every one of the bars would be frequented by single guys (or at least they were whilst they were in Thailand) and would very often be full in the early days, and many of these guys would come back time and time again and very often in small groups and all aged around 45 and above.

Young guys were seen in these bars, but not too many of them...........now the situation is completely different and I have noticed groups of young lads, very often with a few girls in tow who will stop off at one of the bars for a drink or two before moving on to another one then possibly onto one of the discos/nightclubs/live band bars. There are also groups of younger girls who again might stop off at a bar or two, but will most often not stay around the bars for too long, preferring to visit the aforementioned venues.

Add to that a few groups of middle-aged couples who may well stop at the bars for a few drinks, and finally you have those single guys who used to be the dominant visitors to these bars, and they are nowhere near the amount they used to be, hence the precarious situation that many of the bars find themselves in.

Whereas at one time the bargirls would make most of their money from "home visits", many of them have now settled for making as much as they can from drinks, because the number of suitors has dropped off markedly.

The days of the bars being full of single middle-aged plus guys out for a good time has passed and I don't think we'll see that come back in the near future and the likes of Soi Lion, Soi Crocodile and Soi Eric will probably never be seen again, and even now places like Soi Sea Dragon and Soi Freedom are struggling with the old model. Having said that, rumour has it that it's possible some bars will be built in what was the old Soi Gonzo.......with the difference being??

Nearer to home, Don's barbecue does have its fair share of patrons especially when the football is on, but is not very busy other times and as for the new bars/restaurants, well I have seen one customer in newly opened Amigo bar and none in the Tiger Group restaurant which has opened at the bottom of Soi Nanai 6 and very few in others which dot Nanai Road.

I also had to chuckle at one of the fairly new bars which opened because the sign outside of the bar says, "All-day breakfast served" however the bar never opens until 1 p.m., so it's a bit of a bugger if you really did want breakfast at breakfast time! Never mind, visitors can stay nearby in a 500 baht room and sleep in until the place opens.

And to round the post off and take into consideration the title, I have noticed more shops around the place closing and even a few in Jungceylon have closed their doors and are supposedly being replaced by big-name brands/stores, however it is still a mystery to me how they make money because I have never seen that many people in them!

Patong is not dead, but it is certainly struggling..........

And just to support some of my comments above.............last night out on Bangla I encountered more groups of girls and women than I've EVER seen here before, Chinese, Japanese, Swiss and Fins and they were all enjoying the live band bars, none at the usual girlie bars!!

A big night with the wife of a bar owner friend having a birthday, but did end up in Soi Freedom where a couple of the bars just inside the begining of the Soi were well patronised by the older single guys (not so down the far end), but times they are a-changing, maybe it's "girl power" to the fore!!!!!

Was in Patong Soi Bangala the other night with some first time to Thailand folks.....

They loved the place...Made me jealous too see how much fun the first timers can have...

Bangala was busy loaded with all sorts of people good time for sure...

Best attraction was the food and ambiance of the resturaunt above new Tiger Complex good food good service nice view from up there to....BEWARE of the sevvice charge on the check bin...Though

Then we ended up accross the road at a group of bars where Old Tiger used too be...

Well entertained by the High flying pole dancers there more like gymnastics than pole dancing Hot Lovelys ladys very talented for sure..

Place was full of chinaman with cameras nurseing one drink an hour grrrr cheap charlies

We on the other hand had a few rounds tiped the dancers ...even given a round from the bar....

Great fun night to remember..... love busy Bangala.....cheers

Was in Patong Soi Bangala the other night with some first time to Thailand folks.....

They loved the place...Made me jealous too see how much fun the first timers can have...

Best attraction was the food and ambiance of the resturaunt above new Tiger Complex good food good service nice view from up there to....BEWARE of the sevvice charge on the check bin...Though

Then we ended up accross the road at a group of bars where Old Tiger used too be...

Well entertained by the High flying pole dancers there more like gymnastics than pole dancing Hot Lovelys ladys very talented for sure..

Place was full of chinaman with cameras nurseing one drink an hour grrrr cheap charlies

We on the other hand had a few rounds tiped the dancers ...even given a round from the bar....

Yes, have to agree with you on this, because those folk who have only experienced Bangla for the first time/a few times really do believe it is great, much the same as I did when I first got here, going out just about every night.

I think that's one of the reasons why some farangs reckon it would be a great place to own a bar and some of them end up doing so! In fact I met one just the other night who had owned a bar in Soi Eric in its dying days and tried to make a living when that came to an end, however decided to go back to Blighty and now lives and works there full-time.

I asked him if he missed the place, and he said initially he did, whereas now he realises that it's a great place to come for a holiday or two, but that's about it for him. Another guy who had a bar here and left a couple of years ago simply said that, "it was not the real world" and he wanted to get back to reality, so he did, going back to Oz.

Having said all of that, I do enjoy going out a couple of times a week and I also enjoy eating at the restaurant you mentioned, "Higher" although I haven't been for a while.

So Bangla certainly has its place even for the long-timers here and maybe one can get a bit blasé about it, so seeing it from a different perspective is never a bad thing.

Yes, have to agree with you on this, because those folk who have only experienced Bangla for the first time/a few times really do believe it is great, much the same as I did when I first got here, going out just about every night.

I think that's one of the reasons why some farangs reckon it would be a great place to own a bar and some of them end up doing so! In fact I met one just the other night who had owned a bar in Soi Eric in its dying days and tried to make a living when that came to an end, however decided to go back to Blighty and now lives and works there full-time.

I asked him if he missed the place, and he said initially he did, whereas now he realises that it's a great place to come for a holiday or two, but that's about it for him. Another guy who had a bar here and left a couple of years ago simply said that, "it was not the real world" and he wanted to get back to reality, so he did, going back to Oz.

Having said all of that, I do enjoy going out a couple of times a week and I also enjoy eating at the restaurant you mentioned, "Higher" although I haven't been for a while.

So Bangla certainly has its place even for the long-timers here and maybe one can get a bit blasé about it, so seeing it from a different perspective is never a bad thing.

Your post hits the nail on the head when tourists go on a holiday they are often looking for something different from there own country Thailand covers that well even renting Scooters to take them around even if they have no experience of driving them and with some luck they survive to recommend it to others.

Great posts.

Nice reply and yes as a long timer here I do enjoy a night or 2 in Patong I stay in Rawai its a Balloon chasing old age home bere Hate the place but enjoy my overnighters to Patong couple times a month 4 or 5 of us go get early check in guest house sooo cheap check in early have fun day in Patong day and night wake up late breakie at Dolphin bars back too Rawai by 5pm next day ....snoooze vill Rawai cheers

And just to support some of my comments above.............last night out on Bangla I encountered more groups of girls and women than I've EVER seen here before, Chinese, Japanese, Swiss and Fins and they were all enjoying the live band bars, none at the usual girlie bars!!

A big night with the wife of a bar owner friend having a birthday, but did end up in Soi Freedom where a couple of the bars just inside the begining of the Soi were well patronised by the older single guys (not so down the far end), but times they are a-changing, maybe it's "girl power" to the fore!!!!!

Really awkward, 7 years ago as a "first timer" it was so easy for me to get some smoking hot girl, freelancer or off a bar. Nowadays it is harder to get a girl from Bangla than from Facebook. Even the western girls there are more flirty. They are all "not going with customer" if they are under 30 or decent looking. Weird world.

And I remember how much I loved Soi Eric with this dark ambience. This is all gone, only acrobatic dancing left. I really don't enjoy this Bangla anymore if I am not heavily drunk. whistling.gif

Edited by Gutenberg

Just uploaded a (short) Phuket video. Hope you enjoy it.

Just watched it ... a promo tourist clip. Does not give a clue about the many scams and cons ...

Do you read the Phuket news? Tourist stabbed to death, drive-by shooting, ATM skimming, arrests for guns and drugs, a missing tourist - and this is just today's front page.

That video clip does not show Phuket's seedy side. As LIK said, it's a promotional video, and in my opinion, not the reality here.

Your personal attack shows your ignorance.

Just watched it ... a promo tourist clip. Does not give a clue about the many scams and cons ...

Do you read the Phuket news? Tourist stabbed to death, drive-by shooting, ATM skimming, arrests for guns and drugs, a missing tourist - and this is just today's front page.

That video clip does not show Phuket's seedy side. As LIK said, it's a promotional video, and in my opinion, not the reality here.

Phuket has a very normal side where life is just fine without troubles. But if you look for only the typical TV cynical and "seedy" side you will find it also. Seedy sells where normality does not. Phuket is just fine. You want to experience "seedy" Pattaya is where its at. Although Pattaya has a normal side also.

Phuket has a very normal side where life is just fine without troubles. But if you look for only the typical TV cynical and "seedy" side you will find it also. Seedy sells where normality does not. Phuket is just fine. You want to experience "seedy" Pattaya is where its at. Although Pattaya has a normal side also.

I look at ALL sides of Phuket, as I do wherever I have chosen to live.

Thailand is a corrupt country, and Phuket is probably the most corrupt province in Thailand. Corruption effects us all, either directly, or indirectly.

Therefore, everyone is "touched" by the seedy side of Phuket.

Unfortunately this has been censored so much that it's hard to read now

Do you expect to read the paper and just see good news...on an island that at this time of year has about 2 million people on it?

ATM skimming and drugs are so common nowadaysthey don't get in the paper in most places.

Anyhow Seduction was busy on Saturday although the upstairs was closed...I managed to avoid getting scammed or stabbed and I used a Tuk Tuk.....I know crazy eh!