Patong is dead.

hansgruber

2 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

"Phuket will probably always be the busy and attractive "Cancun/Costa del sol" of Asia." - and what happened to Costa del Sol????

It's now a very attractive place to visit, but it was forced into doing something better as tourist numbers declined. It's now thriving again but with far fewer low-cost package tourists and a more middle class clientele. 

What we now have in Phuket is something like the Costa Del Sol in the 1980s with the Chinese and Russians the equivalent of the Brits and other Northern European package tourists in Spain at that time.

The Spanish did something about it when the numbers started to fall. I really cannot envisage the same type of change happening in Thailand. As has been said before, the one big opportunity post-tsunami was lost.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, madmitch said:

It's now a very attractive place to visit, but it was forced into doing something better as tourist numbers declined. It's now thriving again but with far fewer low-cost package tourists and a more middle class clientele. 

What we now have in Phuket is something like the Costa Del Sol in the 1980s with the Chinese and Russians the equivalent of the Brits and other Northern European package tourists in Spain at that time.

The Spanish did something about it when the numbers started to fall. I really cannot envisage the same type of change happening in Thailand. As has been said before, the one big opportunity post-tsunami was lost.

I accept what you say MM as I have heard Costa del Sol has bounced back.  I have not been there for some years. 

Looking at the Costa del Sol example, I would agree with you where Phuket is in that cycle.  

They did not change after the tsunami, and the Thai military has not implemented reform of any real significance in the last 3 years, 

So, it appears, what Phuket is now, is what Phuket will always be. 

Sad to see so much potential being squandered away by the minority here, who continually resist positive change.

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Well it didn’t take you long to get down to a basic level with your insult, did it.

Mind you I should have realised that could be the case because you do have difficulty processing things. The prime example is the assumptions you made and which I pointed out to you, and which are clear for all to see, except you, because you accused me of “bending peoples words”……..strange comment when all I did was quote your words!

As for your comment, “you don’t half like yourself don’t you”……maybe a bit of envy there jock?

However I am proud of my achievements, as coming from a very poor background and leaving school at 15 with no qualifications, I could never have imagined that I would end up running an investment fund worth just under $2 billion, with 40 direct staff and many thousands of clients.

And I am rightly proud of it, as I should be.

Really not interested in putting up with your drivel anymore, so will press the ignore button on you.

Awa' n bile your head.

And another one bites the dust bye xylophoney, I have always seen the ignore button as 

surrendering. I would not give anyone the upper hand by pressing it. Your choice.

Incidentally it is hard to understand why someone with $2,000,000,000 would choose

Patong or Phuket to settle, I can think of better places with that kind of money, but

everyone to there own.       :wai:

3 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

And another one bites the dust bye xylophoney, I have always seen the ignore button as 

surrendering. I would not give anyone the upper hand by pressing it. Your choice.

Incidentally it is hard to understand why someone with $2,000,000,000 would choose

Patong or Phuket to settle, I can think of better places with that kind of money, but

everyone to there own.       :wai:

Read again.

He doesn't have $2 Billion, he managed $2 Billion on behalf of investors.

A small ray of sunshine for Phuket and HKT i saw when flying in and out in the last 2 weeks.

Security/Xray checks were perfect and fast. Each station had min. 8 security staffer.

Immigration was the same. Fast with no waiting lines and all desks were manned.

It was the first time since opening the new terminal that flying from/to HKT was smooth as silk.

So one point is fixed on the Phuket problem list. 

7 minutes ago, schlog said:

A small ray of sunshine for Phuket and HKT i saw when flying in and out in the last 2 weeks.

Security/Xray checks were perfect and fast. Each station had min. 8 security staffer.

Immigration was the same. Fast with no waiting lines and all desks were manned.

It was the first time since opening the new terminal that flying from/to HKT was smooth as silk.

So one point is fixed on the Phuket problem list. 

Let's hope it stays this way....................

7 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There are lots of alternatives, within Thailand, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Koh Samui. Within Asia, Bali, Phillipines, Maldives.

Each of those places offer some attractions and have their own share of significanct flaws, but none offer the whole package like Phuket does.

Phuket remains the most desired destination for the mass market for a number of reasons including:

- unparalleled easy and relatively cheap air connectivity to most major markets

- wide ranging choice of accomodation in world-famous lively entertainment district in patong or more quiet settings elsewhere along the coasts

- choice of many decent beaches 

- visa free travel with relatively easy extensions

- several well regarded hospitals

- foreign freehold condo ownership for those who want to own/invest

As such, there is currently no major threat to Phuket as the prime mass market tourist destination in Asia.

4 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Read again.

He doesn't have $2 Billion, he managed $2 Billion on behalf of investors.

You should know by now that reading and understanding are not strong points for some folk, which is why I have chosen to press the ignore button on one particular poster.........trying to get through is very hard and a waste of time in some cases.

Common sense to do so really.

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

You should know by now that reading and understanding are not strong points for some folk, which is why I have chosen to press the ignore button on one particular poster.........trying to get through is very hard and a waste of time in some cases.

Of course it is.        :coffee1:

3 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

No idea what this has to do with the topic.

He is not saying the seed capital was his own money. Sounds to me like he was acting as a manager rather than an owner.

This was part of my post re having some business nous so that I was aware of how business worked, but I have been quoted out of context, and it's quite obvious the poster was wrong to do this.

And for the record you are right, I was tasked with starting an investment business, which is what I said I did....simple really.

Edited by xylophone

In general, I agree with Mysterion's description of Phuket, but something must be going terribly wrong here for Phuket to be losing it's western tourism market at the rate it is, and then having to resort to the Chinese market to boost numbers, and try to keep the revenue stream incoming.

A "view" is different to addressing economic indicators. 

Once again, you are playing the poster, not the post, with nothing really to contribute.

5 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

In general, I agree with Mysterion's description of Phuket, but something must be going terribly wrong here for Phuket to be losing it's western tourism market at the rate it is, and then having to resort to the Chinese market to boost numbers, and try to keep the revenue stream incoming.

A "view" is different to addressing economic indicators. 

Once again, you are playing the poster, not the post, with nothing really to contribute.

Not playing anyone just pointing out a different perspective which seems to be quite the 

opposite from you and a few others. Not claiming either is right but I personally favour 

Mysterons perspective, everyone is free to follow their own which ever that may be.

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

Like I have said in the past, it's hard to meet an expat that will admit their business is not profitable and is being propped up by money from back home. 

Pride seems to get in the way, not to mention the for sale sign out the front.  :biggrin:

4 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Not playing anyone just pointing out a different perspective which seems to be quite the 

opposite from you and a few others. Not claiming either is right but I personally favour 

Mysterons perspective, everyone is free to follow their own which ever that may be.

Most of his post was not from a perspective, he simply pointed out some positive aspects of Phuket. 

So, why the rapid decline of the western tourism market, in favor of the Chinese package holiday makers, if all is going well here, give the positive aspect he mentioned?

8 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

Most of his post was not from a perspective, he simply pointed out some positive aspects of Phuket. 

So, why the rapid decline of the western tourism market, in favor of the Chinese package holiday makers, if all is going well here, give the positive aspect he mentioned?

Jesus man things change/happen, there isn't always a reason, that's life, move on, things will change/happen again.

You and your mates are probably the most negative people I have come across in some time. Wise up it will bring

you down in the end. Look on the bright side they are talking about a multi stop train service for the whole Island 

next year.        :cheesy:

Sorry, sorry I just couldn't resist sorry.

Edited by phuketjock
addition

16 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Yeah your quite right you and your thread doom and gloom buddies have told us over

and over and over again about all the for sale signs, boring, we have all seen them give your

mate xylos buddies a break will you? You'll have them crying in their beer.        :annoyed:

I remember 2 years ago members, including myself, were ridiculed for being doom and gloomers.  Any comment such as, they are killing the golden goose etc would have you branded as such.

Two short years later and look at the place.  Where will it be two years from now. 

So many business owners waiting out their leases with nothing to renew, or sell, at the end.  I know of a few that couldn't even wait out their lease in hope of better times.

Anyway, I wish all those in business here the best of luck, you are going to need it.

4 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

I remember 2 years ago members, including myself, were ridiculed for being doom and gloomers.  Any comment such as, they are killing the golden goose etc would have you branded as such.

Two short years later and look at the place.  Where will it be two years from now. 

So many business owners waiting out their leases with nothing to renew, or sell, at the end.  I know of a few that couldn't even wait out their lease in hope of better times.

Anyway, I wish all those in business here the best of luck, you are going to need it.

At least you are consistent you are still all doom and gloom, good luck with that.

9 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

Jesus man things change/happen, there isn't always a reason, that's life, move on, things will change/happen again.

You and your mates are probably the most negative people I have come across in some time. Wise up it will bring

you down in the end. Look on the bright side they are talking about a multi stop train service for the whole Island 

next year.        :cheesy:

Sorry, sorry I just couldn't resist sorry.

Can you name one positive change that has been implemented here in recent time for the benefit of locals, tourists, and expats?

You've had plenty of chances to answer this question before.  It's not the first time I have asked it.  Yet to receive an answer.

There was high hope for all the beaches having free wifi - yet to happen, just like your railway, and if it did, it would be 1000 baht in a taxi or tuk-tuk from Chalong to tourist's hotels. 

Phuket is run by criminals, for the benefit of criminals. 

You are probably just another farang slave to them.  :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

At least you are consistent you are still all doom and gloom, good luck with that.

How many here wished they never, ever, put skin into the game here, guess what, I never did, unlike yourself.

It's all good for me.   :biggrin:

You, however.................................................................????

Can you name one positive change that has been implemented here in recent time for the benefit of locals, tourists, and expats?

You've had plenty of chances to answer this question before.  It's not the first time I have asked it.  Yet to receive an answer.

There was high hope for all the beaches having free wifi - yet to happen, just like your railway, and if it did, it would be 1000 baht in a taxi or tuk-tuk from Chalong to tourist's hotels. 

Phuket is run by criminals, for the benefit of criminals. 

You are probably just another farang slave to them.  [emoji3]

My understanding is the "railway" will go to Phuket Town. No benefit to tourists.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Don't waste your time as he cannot understand what you are saying, just the same as he thought I had $2 million.........grey matter failure I'm afraid, oh, and childish misuse of my forum name, but then what can one expect!

Back on track, came out of hospital on Friday after a 5 day stay and was surprised to see a few more small shop closures (all Thai) and I feel sorry for these guys because as you mentioned in another post the world has changed around them and they are powerless to do anything about it (or words to that effect).

Also saw a new "low" with a guest-house offering a room for 5000 a month, but who can live running a business on 167 baht a night.

As if to add weight to the state of Patong at the moment please see the pics (at around lunchtime) that I took on Saturday in and around Jungceylon......

An empty Starbucks, empty fast food kiosks, empty restaurants (plenty of seats available!) and no-one poring over the sales items in Jungceylon.

Being a realist and seeing how things really are enables one to adapt............

27052017001.jpg

27052017002.jpg

27052017003.jpg

27052017004.jpg

Some good things in Patong since the junta:

Beach vendors cleaned up, sort of.

Bad things:

Business falls off, prices go up, except some guest houses

Taxi/Tuk Tuk ranks introduce more taxi/Tuk tuk, raise prices and intimidate practically everybody.

1:10 ratio of touts on Bangla increase to 50:50

5 hours ago, sekmet said:

My understanding is the "railway" will go to Phuket Town. No benefit to tourists.

My understanding  is that it goes to Chalong. Might never happen and anyway I think this rail link will be a commercial disaster.  After a long flight you just want to jump in a taxi and be dropped of at the door of your hotel or home.  

1 minute ago, LivinginKata said:

My understanding  is that it goes to Chalong. Might never happen and anyway I think this rail link will be a commercial disaster.  After a long flight you just want to jump in a taxi and be dropped of at the door of your hotel or home.  

The percentage of people traveling to and from the airport will be tiny.

The percentage of locals going to and from work and tourists traveling around will be the vast majority. I actually think it will be a success.

I would be happy if it went to Chalong. On the other hand, it would ruin Chalong.

20 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

The percentage of people traveling to and from the airport will be tiny.

The percentage of locals going to and from work and tourists traveling around will be the vast majority. I actually think it will be a success.

Yes you might be right on that, and although I am not sure about the route and stops it makes, perhaps if too many stops then the journey to and from the airport will be a bit arduous for tourists........but locals and tourists travelling around would find it a bonus.

Never followed it much, but was a Phuket Town and surrounds-only light rail ever proposed?

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Yes you might be right on that, and although I am not sure about the route and stops it makes, perhaps if too many stops then the journey to and from the airport will be a bit arduous for tourists........but locals and tourists travelling around would find it a bonus.

Never followed it much, but was a Phuket Town and surrounds-only light rail ever proposed?

No. The proposed line starts in Phang-Nga with a spur to the airport. It goes through Phuket Town then, goes down Chao Fah West and ends at Chalong circle. If it becomes reality and isn't a flop, they will make spurs to the beaches (slowly, slowly to break the transport mafia).

I still think the best idea that was proposed many years ago was a cable car from the north of the island to the south on top of the hills.

Not only would it be great for tourists to go from beach to beach, but, could be a world class attraction in itself. Non-stop panoramic views.

Edited by KarenBravo