AIS Sim Card registration Pattaya

Suradit69

711s in Bangkok know nothing about the Registration!

I've been into 7-11's in pattaya and ubon and they say they know nothing about it, also my girlfriend works for cp company (who own 7-11) as a programmer and she doesn't know anything about it.

Once again, where has it ever been stated that one can register ones SIM at the bloody convenience store?

Sure you can top up your phone at 7-eleven but by the same token, one can pay ones utility bills there as well.

When there's a prolonged power outage or a burst water main, go and try report it at your local 7-eleven and see if the blank stare is the same one you get when you ask to register your SIM.

(It's known as the 'farang loo mahk' stare btw.)

Http://tech.thaivisa.com/sim-card-registration-starts-today/3627

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been into 7-11's in pattaya and ubon and they say they know nothing about it, also my girlfriend works for cp company (who own 7-11) as a programmer and she doesn't know anything about it.

Once again, where has it ever been stated that one can register ones SIM at the bloody convenience store?

Sure you can top up your phone at 7-eleven but by the same token, one can pay ones utility bills there as well.

When there's a prolonged power outage or a burst water main, go and try report it at your local 7-eleven and see if the blank stare is the same one you get when you ask to register your SIM.

Oops! Missed that. If SIMS need to be registered, I can foresee that 7-elevens will probably NOT sell them after the 6-months are up. Making a payment or top-up is a whole lot less labour intensive than registering a SIM and probably not in the remit of any deal with the owners of 7-eleven.

I did register my SIM 1 year ago because i asked for the 3g 2100 sim. But for all others, register for what?

to try and monitor/stop crime activity

Yes, i understand this. But i don't know why exactly now many users go to register their SIM. Did i miss a news-report which tells something about a final ultimatum?

I know, officially the SIMs must be get registered since years, but so far, nobody cared about it. So i wonder, why now....

You did miss a news-report. It is now a requirement or will be in 6 months. Search TV for register sim to find the details.

Oops! Missed that. If SIMS need to be registered, I can foresee that 7-elevens will probably NOT sell them after the 6-months are up. Making a payment or top-up is a whole lot less labour intensive than registering a SIM and probably not in the remit of any deal with the owners of 7-eleven.

What you say might well happen but will cause a lot of inconvenience to visitors if it does. Judging by my experience at DTAC it is a no paperwork exercise and after some reprogramming of 7-11 computers should be easy enough to implement. But whether they want to do it is another matter.

Edited by Keesters

I did register my SIM 1 year ago because i asked for the 3g 2100 sim. But for all others, register for what?

to try and monitor/stop crime activity

Yes, i understand this. But i don't know why exactly now many users go to register their SIM. Did i miss a news-report which tells something about a final ultimatum?

I know, officially the SIMs must be get registered since years, but so far, nobody cared about it. So i wonder, why now....

You did miss a news-report. It is now a requirement or will be in 6 months. Search TV for register sim to find the details.

Thanks mate. I just found the link: http://tech.thaivisa.com/sim-card-registration-starts-today/3627/

So, i called now AIS to confirm that my sim is registered. It isn't, although i produced my passport in the AIS shop when i got the AIS 2100 3g SIM. Well, i will go today to the AIS Shop at Central Festival to register my SIM.

Thanks for your informations. Very helpful.

I registered a few years ago when they issued the same scare, do I have to register again?

Me too. But obviously the AIS Shop didn't transfer the registration to their system. I called yesterday 1175 and they confirmed me; not registered yet. Well, afternoon i went to the AIS Shop Central Festival with my passport. The procedure took 2 minutes. Now i called again 1175 and got the confirmation that it's registered properly.

As the news report say, better double check.

Good luck.

Two things about registering your SIM:

1. If you lose your SIM or it stops working or you need a nano SIM (Apple), you can go in and get a new one. A couple of years ago, I got a new True SIM after losing mine. No charge -- at the time.

2. You need a history of registration, 12 months (I think), before a mobile company will accept a request to have your phone number ported over to a new provider.

You don't need to be registered to get a free nano SIM. I did it. Don't know about changing carriers.

I later registered because if you lose the sim you can replace it and have same number.

Quite funny that people expect the 7-11 to do it.

It's a corner shop you know... (every corner).

Bread, milk, condoms, cold one.......

What's funny about it

When it was announced that registration was required 7's where to be one of the “subscriber information registration points”

The OP said:

"Today I went to the AIS (1-2-call) service center on the lower level of Central Festival."

Can someone be more specific as to the location? By "lower level" does he mean the basement where the food court is? If not, which floor is it on? And since each floor is fairly large whereabouts is it, north or south side, beach or Second Road side? Thank you for any clarification.

I tried *141# and *151# both of them went through but gave me a reply in Thai that I cannot read.

You should find answers in this thread, post #39 shows two pictures.

Second one is "not registered".

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/796646-mandatory-sim-card-registration-in-thailand-starts-today/page-2#entry9016605

Post #48, a user that supposes to have registered 6 monts ago, but without success.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/796646-mandatory-sim-card-registration-in-thailand-starts-today/page-2#entry9017772

Edited by KhunBENQ

The OP said:

"Today I went to the AIS (1-2-call) service center on the lower level of Central Festival."

Can someone be more specific as to the location? By "lower level" does he mean the basement where the food court is? If not, which floor is it on? And since each floor is fairly large whereabouts is it, north or south side, beach or Second Road side? Thank you for any clarification.

Lowest level where the foodcourt is.

Walk from the food court to the beach road exit (glass door).

Left side Burger King, right side AIS (entrance from inside).

Hard to miss.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I will be visiting next month bringing my thai phone I only use there and that I have not used in several months. Does the phone work if you don't register? Does your phone service just stop? I will arrive at BKK and will want my phone to work immediately. If it doesn't can I buy and register there at the airport?

The OP said:

Actually it's a McDonald's. smile.png

The OP said:

Lowest level where the foodcourt is.

Walk from the food court to the beach road exit (glass door).

Hard to miss.

• 2 weeks later...

DTAC in Big C Extra, Pattaya Klang was the same yesterday. Took me about 3 minutes to register. No address required, just your passport and phone with SIMAO.

I did the same today at the same place. No queue. 2 minutes. Just handed them my Thai driving licence and phone.

DTAC in Big C Extra, Pattaya Klang was the same yesterday. Took me about 3 minutes to register. No address required, just your passport and phone with SIMAO.

It seems to me that if one ever replaces a SIM you should destroy completely the old SIM that was registered in your name? Mine sometimes die or expire because I am out of country for a year and I often just get a new SIM. I don't know all the ins and outs but it seems your name could get linked to the old SIM that somebody might be doing bad things with?

It seems to me that if one ever replaces a SIM you should destroy completely the old SIM that was registered in your name? Mine sometimes die or expire because I am out of country for a year and I often just get a new SIM. I don't know all the ins and outs but it seems your name could get linked to the old SIM that somebody might be doing bad things with?

As a general rule, if you've got an old SIM that has expired and therefore has no value, it probably won't be possible to "resurrect" it, however, for peace of mind, cutting it up can do no harm.

Treat it like an expired or replaced credit card and you'll never have to worry. smile.png

As a general rule, if you've got an old SIM that has expired and therefore has no value, it probably won't be possible to "resurrect" it, however, for peace of mind, cutting it up can do no harm.

Treat it like an expired or replaced credit card and you'll never have to worry. smile.png

You're not registering the SIM so much as registering the phone number. I've had 3 SIMs all with the same number and only registered once at the purchase of the first one 14 years ago. If the number expires due whatever reasons cutting up the SIM has no effect to anything as the network can reissue the number on another SIM. The new owner of the number should hopefully become the registered user replacing the old owners registration. Destroying the SIM does not destroy the phone number.

I tried *141# and *151# both of them went through but gave me a reply in Thai that I cannot read.

On AIS?

*151# gave me the message (in English),

"You haven't registered your prepaid SIM. Please bring your IDcard/Passport,SIM,device and contact AIS shop/Telewiz/AIS Sales Points within 31 Jul15 (code e3qsfy)"

In Indonesia a new sim has to be registered before it is activated. The seller or re-seller does it as part of the purchase....using credentials unknown ???? Which negates any realistic justifications about National security...! But my homecountry asks the same for same reasons.And there you must supply all details or you cannot activate a prepaid sim or a dedicated phone. And as Communications Comp. reps here have already said that if anyone with criminal intent needs to use a mobile phone they wil lbe most likely to use a stolen one. This mostly about international compliance than much else...pointless as it may be. But then again....your junky old phone may just have had its value enhanced simply because it has a sim card that can point fingers ! Take care with that aspect peoples!

the registration of SIM cards in Indonesia is a joke. you can type in any name or address that you want. nobody checks it, and you don't need to do it at a shop or service center.

the entire registration process is a joke here in Thailand too, because, as has been mentioned, shady characters will just use stolen SIMs or use someone to a number under a different name for a few Baht.

I will not register any SIM until they really would block my number. The more people do NOT register, the more likely they will not enforce blocking those numbers come July. Don't forget, this is not the first time they tried this...... Most of the personal freedom in Thailand has been lost already, let them not take away this sort of freedom too........ AMIEN