Thai Police fines Dutch couple for carrying Swiss army knife in car (VIDEO)

webfact

did not realize it was illegal to have a small knife in the car.

It is in Melbourne Australia unless it is being used in connection of employment, sport and you are current engage in such an activity or on a direct route to or from such activity.

Maybe so but do you think the Aussie police would fine someone for having a something like this in the car? It's not a knife, it's an utility tool of which the penknife is just one of many tools.

Only the RTP's actions are bad.

Why do people live in Thailand as it seems to generate thousands of whiners?

I carry a flick knife. For dogs and self defense. I thought they were legal in Thailand. They are not legal in the UK but are in many countries. Is the Thai butterfly knife illegal in Thailand? They were really common about twenty years ago but took a lot of practice to learn.

500 baht fine. Dutch man goes home and tells people not to bother going to Thailand as its full of rip off cops.

5 people take notice of him. Thailand loses a million baht worth of tourist money.

Nice work lads.

Thainess is the gift which just keeps on giving......

The question i have is why the police searched the car?

Tip off about things like drugs maybe ....one has to wonder

Yes ok they got excited about the swiss army knife but u need to back track to why they demanded a search of the car!

The question i have is why the police searched the car?

Tip off about things like drugs maybe ....one has to wonder

Yes ok they got excited about the swiss army knife but u need to back track to why they demanded a search of the car!

Is it a Swiss army knife ?

the search does seem to be targeted only on the centre console but that may be as simple as they asked the driver if he had any knives in the car and he said yes

This is more than ridiculous. I am Swiss and I carry always a Swiss army knife with me, also in Thailand. It is not a weapon, allowed in all of Europe and I think even in the USA. It is a useful instrument, not a weapon. Thai police would better look after corrupt crooks, drug dealers and drunk drivers instead molesting tourists. One more bad advertising for Thailand.

I am Swiss too and also carry a Swiss army knife with me. If any cops ever asked me about it, I'd tell them in my fluent Thai what I use it for and eventually they would back off. The Thai police are mostly just a bunch of goons good for joking with. I have rarely met any serious police officers - if you use humor and you speak Thai you can easily get them to just melt and they'll let you go on your way.

Usually I don't respond to these police topics but this is nonsense. Since when is a storage compartment carrying a knife in public. What if one is going camping, picnicking, etc. with knives. I wonder what the details of the law is as in some countries it is the length of the blade and the clear function such as a switch blade that defines the legality. A Swiss Army knife? That's a toolkit. Plus to be searched without a warrant I thought required very reasonable cause.

"I'd like to explain that people cannot just carry a knife in public. It's illegal,"

Unfortunately Thai Visa did not bother to amend the title for which Coconut apologised. The video clearly shows a switchblade which is not part of any toolkit that I am aware of. Perhaps without this error the incident would not have made the headline.

However, what we do not know was the reason for a stop and search. Had there been some traffic offence, erratic driving etc., which the BIB are quick to administer the breath test. No sign of that here, just an assured smile and search. Were there any further checks of the vehicle's luggage compartment? The skeptic in me suggests that this was no random search but the result of a tip off by someone creating mischief.

Finally we do need some guidance on whether we should hand in our Swiss Army toolkit knives and just what is a public place? My car is my private space when I enter it.

• Like 1

I agree, I think there is more to this story. They do not stop any cars randomly just to perform a search in the storage compartment without any reason. Probably a tip off by someone . And it was a switchblade, not a swiss army knife.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Just listening to the video, I know enough Thai to realize that this Thai Dutch woman, should

have quietly given the police 500 baht, and would have likely been on their way to

the airport. This is really an embarrassing video for this group of Thailand police.

I hope the current PM gets a copy of this video and then honestly deals with all of these

police officers involved. 1. What is the big deal for a couple of people in their own car to

have a small pocket knife, with them for what ever their reasons. 2. Did the police find a

gun in this car? If not what was their real reason for making this couple go to the station?

3. Is this the new way for the Thailand police to hassle people in Thailand.

Shameful is what this story and video are.

Just my opinion!

Usually I don't respond to these police topics but this is nonsense. Since when is a storage compartment carrying a knife in public. What if one is going camping, picnicking, etc. with knives. I wonder what the details of the law is as in some countries it is the length of the blade and the clear function such as a switch blade that defines the legality. A Swiss Army knife? That's a toolkit. Plus to be searched without a warrant I thought required very reasonable cause.

"I'd like to explain that people cannot just carry a knife in public. It's illegal,"

Why the stop and search first, its as if they expected to find something else, hhhhhhmmmmmm

I always carry a Leatherman Charge with tool kit and always will. This defends me from the geriatric Isuzu D-Max and its loose pipes and corroded poor quality electrical connections.

I can also cut cheese with it on the go.

This is bullsiittt i was driving from korat to kalasin and I was stopped by the police .on the windows on my car a Toyota 4wd he lux .there have the company has put together some plastic over the windows. The police say .this ting you can not have on the windows .and I have to pay 200 bat

Edited by tore stenberg

Looks more like a switchblade than a leatherman, definately not swiss army knife-toolset.

large_1133_FoxCitadelDeimos_ButchVallott

Not a switchblade, just a fold out knife. Switchblades are springloaded so the knife can extend instantly at a button press.

Thanks for correcting - though I don't know what it brought to the table :)

PLEASE ALL who don't know what a Swiss army knife is, google it and you WILL KNOW that the knife in the video WASN'T A SWISS ARMY KNIFE.

Please look at the video again

the knife ISN'T A SWISS ARMY KNIFE.

Sorry for the uppercase, but I can see from what most people respond to the OP and believe it's a tool knife, I said it before but people still post comments on the wrong type of knife.

Don't be critical of the RTP, they have their full rights to confiscate and fine the person having the SWITCH BLADE knife, at least 4 inches long.

IT IS NOT a Swiss army knife.

And YOU evidently don't know what a switchblade is either. Sorry, but your childish oversize typeface doesn't make it a switchblade. Have you ever even SEEN a switchblade knife??

PLEASE ALL who don't know what a Swiss army knife is, google it and you WILL KNOW that the knife in the video WASN'T A SWISS ARMY KNIFE.

Sorry for the uppercase, but I can see from what most people respond to the OP and believe it's a tool knife, I said it before but people still post comments on the wrong type of knife.

Don't be critical of the RTP, they have their full rights to confiscate and fine the person having the SWITCH BLADE knife, at least 4 inches long.

And YOU evidently don't know what a switchblade is either. Sorry, but your childish oversize typeface doesn't make it a switchblade. Have you ever even SEEN a switchblade knife??

The article in full says it's a switch blade and that "swiss army knife" was a translation error in the original article.

• Like 1

The article in full says it's a switch blade and that "swiss army knife" was a translation error in the original article.

Maybe a "lost in translation boo boo"? A swiss (switch) blade"? Thais don't pronounce the "tch' part easily.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Makes a little more sense for the police action. Question would be why was it reported as being a swiss army knife in the first place, and where did the confliction about translation come from?

Minor incident sensationalized by Coconuts...............................wink.png

Worked as well if the reaction to viewers on TV is a guideline.