Thai Police sting fines 21 taxi drivers who said 'no'

webfact

Nannystate, im happy in the village, quiet and no traffic jam.

That is nice. This article is about Bangkok. When one covers the happenings in your village, this reader would be very happy to read it and comment.

• Like 1

Next they should try Sukhumvit 11. Another area infested with these morons.

On a separate note, it's not easy to 'take a video as evidence'... some of these morons carry weapons (and I mean some more damaging than a stick) and have no qualms about using it.

• Like 1

Overdue.

Last year ourside Pan Tip I was refused a ride to Suck 'im quick.

To my utter surprise a cop pulled him in and fines him. Needless to say the very next taxi took me!!

No taxi should ever be able to refuse a fare. I don't care about their fuel situation, their knocking off time or if it suits them or not.

If your job is to take passengers for a fare...them bloody well take them.

• Like 1

Overdue.

To my utter surprise a cop pulled him in and fines him. Needless to say the very next taxi took me!!

No taxi should ever be able to refuse a fare. I don't care about their fuel situation, their knocking off time or if it suits them or not.

So if the gastank runs empty you will push the taxi to the nearest cng-station?

CNG=tanks are very small, did you know that?

The reason why taxidrivers are so greedy now is because tourists always had to tell them how cheap they were compared to their homecountry.

Keep doing it and no doubt it would have the desired effect. But ...

And 'Police Gen. Jakkapetch Petchploinin said anyone can report a taxi driver who rejects them by taking a video as evidence ...' How does one do that, precisely? Stick the camera in the window under the assumption it's going to be a 'no'?

Pathetic! Taxi drivers are poor and have a really stressful job. For every 'no' I get plenty of 'yeses.' Sting operations are snide. Just so happens that like the vendors on Sukhumvit they voted for the elected Prime Minister not the non elected military leader.

• Like 1

On a separate note, it's not easy to 'take a video as evidence'... some of these morons carry weapons (and I mean some more damaging than a stick) and have no qualms about using it.

Last week i stayed with my suitcase in front from my Hotel at the End of Sukhumvit Soi 11 at 10 am. Destination: Don Muang Airport.
The connection from the Soi 11 over Soi 3 to the highway is actually unproblematic at 10 am; No rush hour.
I ask all about meter and that i will pay the highway toll.
In 5 minutes I stopped 6 taxis and no one wants to drive me.
3 said no,
others offered no meter 500Baht, 600Baht and 600 Baht.
It was not until the seventh taxi then took me for the regular fare.
I gave the driver a good tip, he helped me also with my suitcase.
I guess the police could easily find 100 taxi drivers per hour in the Sukhumvit 11,

who no wants to drive or only drive with no meter.

Another taxi driver told me that in Soi 11 is to much Taxi Mafia.
The taxis permanent standing in front of the hotels, should be avoided.
It looks like that from the outside coming taxis are only allowed to deliver their passengers at the hotels,

but they can not take direct other hotel guests for the next trip.

Many honestly taxi drivers are afraid about problems with this thugs!

• Like 2

Pathetic! Taxi drivers are poor and have a really stressful job. For every 'no' I get plenty of 'yeses.' Sting operations are snide. Just so happens that like the vendors on Sukhumvit they voted for the elected Prime Minister not the non elected military leader.

They took a job as a taxi driver.. then they should take people where they want to go at the prices set by the government. They get a government license and for that they have to agree to the terms set by the government.

If they don't fine them its quite easy.

Oh poor red shirts

• Like 2

Overdue.

The reason why taxidrivers are so greedy now is because tourists always had to tell them how cheap they were compared to their homecountry.

Ah..very good Thian.

Why the heck would he look for fares with a near empty tank???

• Like 1

The amount of time to find 21 drivers who will say no is nothing if you're asking them to take you to the right places. Ask for anywhere with a traffic jam or denounce the tollway. If they had a few officers doing this around the clock for weeks, months, heck, make it a full time gig so the taxi drivers were always wondering if they were lurking just behind the corner, then maybe you'd have real change.

Just change who the people are doing the operation at random invtervals.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

"Undercover officers busted 21 drivers on Sunday for rejecting their fares in front of MBK Center, National Stadium, Siam Square and the Grand Palace"

21? Must have been a ten minute operation, and the Tourist Police beers hadn't even gotten warm by then.... smile.png

Best on the thread for turning the story into total negative.

Great work!

Would never have happened under certain previous Governments. Corruption is "on the run" instead of "running wild."

Even the Nay-sayers would have to admit, this Government IS improving Thailand.

Correct the previous government was known to have an armed wing of thugs that killed for them. They thrived on thugs and criminals, they would never go after their own supporters. Most of their supporters are taxi thugs.. militant farmers. Not to mention before the police was totally in their pocket.. they would never allow the police to go after criminals that supported them.

Something akin to a 20,000 baht fine, and a warning that goes into the file. Three warnings and you are out of the business for life. And the fines have to be paid by the owner of the car, so that he will warn his drivers not to turn down fares, or they will lose the right to rent his car. Most drivers do not own their cars. This would scare them into behaving like decent men. You have to out some fear into them. A friendly slap on the wrist accomplishes little, but it appears to be the way Prayuth operates.

Overdue.

'' So if the gastank runs empty you will push the taxi to the nearest cng-station?''

No...you turn off your service lights then drive to the nearest station ans top up the tank :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Last week i stayed with my suitcase in front from my Hotel at the End of Sukhumvit Soi 11 at 10 am. Destination: Don Muang Airport.
The connection from the Soi 11 over Soi 3 to the highway is actually unproblematic at 10 am; No rush hour.
I ask all about meter and that i will pay the highway toll.
In 5 minutes I stopped 6 taxis and no one wants to drive me.
3 said no,
others offered no meter 500Baht, 600Baht and 600 Baht.
It was not until the seventh taxi then took me for the regular fare.
I gave the driver a good tip, he helped me also with my suitcase.
I guess the police could easily find 100 taxi drivers per hour in the Sukhumvit 11,

who no wants to drive or only drive with no meter.

Another taxi driver told me that in Soi 11 is to much Taxi Mafia.
The taxis permanent standing in front of the hotels, should be avoided.
It looks like that from the outside coming taxis are only allowed to deliver their passengers at the hotels,

but they can not take direct other hotel guests for the next trip.

Many honestly taxi drivers are afraid about problems with this thugs!

Ruled by taxi mafia eh... now that makes sense. Explains why the taxi morons are worse on that soi than other places I've been to. If I have to go to that blasted soi, I'll just walk to the Nana BTS station. Of course, that would be hard for you to do with your suitcase and all sad.png

The thing is, I refuse to believe the Parasites in Brown or the authorities don't know about this. So why don't they perform this sting-op in Suk 11? I guess we all know the answer to that one huh. And if nothing continues to be done about this, then this sting-op is just a headline event and everything will be same old, same old. And, as an answer to another discussion about if things have improved, I say "same $h1te, different crapper".

Edited by outsider