US: Comedy Central says Jon Stewart leaving 'The Daily Show'

webfact

It will become even more a writer's show. His South African schtick will bore people after a few days. He will speak what is written. They really did take a big risk. They didn't even put him on test shows as a test host. That is normal for such big jobs. It will be interesting to see. He already had a big international career but is still young enough to see this as a promotion.

I agree there isn't a real problem with the content of his jokes or trying to be funny tweets.

But there is something here that not everyone is talking about.

One of his tweets, not at at all a joke, appeared to be showing explicit support for the Hamas government in Gaza.

Showing a protest at the white house with Gaza flags.

Now Jon Stewart of course is a left wing Jew and a long and open critic of Israeli government policy.

But the kind of view represented by the overt show of support for Hamas is likely a bridge too far for the U.S. "entertainment" market, even a show associated so strongly with the American "progressive" wing.

Is that how he really feels?

I assume he does.

It's a typical South African view.

So this isn't over.

Will he censor himself, what he really thinks, should he, if he doesn't, what happens?

Don't get me wrong. He has every right to express those views, and I don't actually think the guy is any kind of anti-semite.

Apparently his black mother is reportedly half Jewish.

But Hamas is deeply antisemitic .. that's a core of their ideology.

So I continue to question whether this pick is a good fit.

But really mostly about the total outsider aspect.

He is so obviously South African and I don't see that ever changing.

Will Americans care about what he says about Ted Cruz or believe the words coming out of his mouth from writers actually reflects his REAL persona?

I'm skeptical. I think maybe NEVER.

Edited by Jingthing