Smartphone Motorcycle Brackets?

WingNut

Has anyone found any good brackets for mounting smartphones onto motorcycles for taking cool GoPro like videos from a gas tank view?

I've got an IPhone 6+ which captures great 1080 quality video. So seems pointless to buy a GoPro just to capture a bit of road footage. But I need a sturdy bracket that could mount the larger iPhone 6+ size.

I have seen track guys with them to use the phones to capture lap speeds via GPS, but not sure if you can mount them in a position to shoot video though the wind screen?

Edited by WingNut

I have seen a few such brackets on ebay but none would fit my phone and not yours. They were for smallish phones. But check on ebay. There a lots of mounts for Apple products that it's possible you will find something for your application.

These actually look the most solid and secure from what I have been able to find:

http://www.rammount.com/products/apple/iphone_six/xgrip_overview

I don't think your iPhone would ever fall out of that. But what I don't know is if it is possible to mount it in a position so that you can position the phone to capture video from the gas tank perspective looking over the gauges?

Seems there are two versions for motorcycle for iPhone 6 Plus:

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-UN10U

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-400-C-UN10U

I wish they gave more diagrams or photos showing how they mount.

These actually look the most solid and secure from what I have been able to find:

http://www.rammount.com/products/apple/iphone_six/xgrip_overview

I don't think your iPhone would ever fall out of that. But what I don't know is if it is possible to mount it in a position so that you can position the phone to capture video from the gas tank perspective looking over the gauges?

Seems there are two versions for motorcycle for iPhone 6 Plus:

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-UN10U

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-400-C-UN10U

I wish they gave more diagrams or photos showing how they mount.

Personally I wouldn't go with something that didn't support the bottom of the phone. Add in that product says it fits 5" phones (the 6+, contrary to its name is only 5.5"...guess they had an insecure guy name it).

The difference between those mounts is quite substantial. The tough claw relies on friction to hold the ram mount in place. This allows it to be positioned just so while also raising questions to how firm it will stay there. The u-bolt is a much more permanent option that can be tightened down as much as you dare.

I use Ram mounts and they're great pieces of kit. You can use the u-bolt style or the clutch/brake mounting hardware options. Once you get the mount you want attached, the arm is placed over the ball. The third part of the kit is then placed in the open part of the arm. Arrange as you want and tighten down the wing nut. I have the locking wheel on mine; makes it easy to adjust and of course also prevents theft. Ram also offers 2 or 3 different length arms; I would recommend going with the longest one as it can always be moved forwards or backward relative to length of the bike to achieve the proper height. If a shorter arm is used, there's nothing you can do if you are not happy because the camera isn't high enough.

The first link I provided does say iPhone 6 Plus I think. Anyway, thank you for all the input. Could you perhaps provide a picture of your setup? A picture is worth a thousand words :)

Here's 2000 words. First if the Contour2+ in a position to catch the dash and then up to miss the mirror and windscreen.

post-27441-0-07914900-1424156073_thumb.j

post-27441-0-34830500-1424156120_thumb.j

I tried mine on the wing mirror as shown below (pointing forwards of course) but got a lot of vibration, moved it to the helmet now and much smoother...

2d08df12-b507-4cfd-8360-1885424b392a_zps

That's your fault. Had you got a white or black Ducati it wouldn't be as fast and your camera wouldn't shake so much.

^ haha yeah the trouble with the helmet mounted one is it provides video evidence to my GF of me checking out all the eye candy going through town. Didn't realize I did it so much until I watched it back ermm.gif.pagespeed.ce.7f2Kr9k8HCxvlbix7Xlaugh.png

Only check out the eye candy at intersections so you can claim you're doing side soi checks to prevent being t-boned.

Don't many people mount their GoPros on the tanks?

Thanks for the photos Dave. I'm looking for something though to mount an iphone 6 plus on a tank possibly in a position that I can try and shoot video with the instrument panel in the foreground to show my speed and really give that first person experience to the video.

Maybe such a thing doesn't exist for an iPhone 6. And I realize that their could be vibration issues as many people mentioned. But if there was a sturdy and inexpensive setup I might try it out anyway.

Edited by WingNut

^ haha yeah the trouble with the helmet mounted one is it provides video evidence to my GF of me checking out all the eye candy going through town. Didn't realize I did it so much until I watched it back ermm.gif.pagespeed.ce.7f2Kr9k8HCxvlbix7Xlaugh.png

Suggestion: Get rid of the girlfriend and then you can freely turn your head to look lat lady boys all you want :)

I'm looking for something though to mount an iphone 6 plus on a tank possibly in a position that I can try and shoot video with the instrument panel in the foreground to show my speed and really give that first person experience to the video...

Adjustable-Tank-Mount-for-Motorcycles-Ca

Google or search eBay for "Motorcycle Tank Mount" or something like that. I think these are model specific as I mentioned earlier. Actually looking at it, it can't be too hard to have one done locally?

Here's another variation, or another implementation of the same idea:

VCM.jpg

There are many more. I could make one myself.

Tank suction cup??? No-no unless you you're not afraid to loose your phone.

Suction cups aren't mean to be mounted outside of the vehicle where the wind pressure can knock them off. I've had the suction cups coming off when even mounted on the inside of windshields. Besides, not all tanks can be used with them. My bike has mate paint finish so can't use, other tanks may be of a weird shape with graphics partially covering the only available flat areas, etc... I personally wouldn't use a suction cup on a bike.

True. But would I survive bouncing a couple hundred meters to where my iPhone survival would matter much either?

Joking aside, maybe I should consider some wraparound body strap that places the phone against my body, just above my abdomen. That would probably give me the view perspective im after and prevent the phone from falling and bouncing half a mile unless I'm bouncing with it.

Only problem is that the camera wouldn't be stationary as it would be on the bike because your body would always be moving a bit. But then again helmet cams are always moving too, but seems ok. I just don't like the high up perspective of helmet cams to begin with. You lose that first person perspective of the view from the saddle.

Edited by WingNut

I think RAM mounts are the 'go to' for holding your iPhone 6 in view when using the GPS, or taking shots of the speedo, as you say. I don't have one myself as I'm scared that someone could easily snatch an iPhone 6. So I keep mine in my pocket.

I don't think the iPhone camera would have enough of wide angle to catch much, you are better off buying an action camera such as gopro or clone ( SJ4000, M1 or SJ5000+ )

This guy used a body mount with a gropro - I prefer the helmet mount myself, as a body mount is just another bit of kit to put on before you get out the door.

• 10 months later...

Sorry for bumping an older thread as my search for RAM brought me here as I need a suitable and sturdy phone mount. Looked at Quadlock but I can't mount it properly, so the u-bolt method from RAM looks like it will do the job.

With regards to suction mount, Fat Gecko is the monkeys nuts and tested to speeds of 150mph on cars and bikes. I have used mine on 4x4 trips which I have done in the past. Never used it on the bike but many mount on the tank etc.

post-134092-0-53538500-1451973598_thumb.

Edited by BBJ

Sorry for bumping an older thread as my search for RAM brought me here as I need a suitable and sturdy phone mount. Looked at Quadlock but I can't mount it properly, so the u-bolt method from RAM looks like it will do the job.

With regards to suction mount, Fat Gecko is the monkeys nuts and tested to speeds of 150mph on cars and bikes. I have used mine on 4x4 trips which I have done in the past. Never used it on the bike but many mount on the tank etc.

attachicon.giffat geck.jpg

I can recommend the RAM X-grip - I dropped the bike a couple of times on rough ground and I have tested it to 140 kmh, all times the bike stays solid.

The only thing is it's not a waterproof solution.

Edited by recom273

I think RAM mounts are the 'go to' for holding your iPhone 6 in view when using the GPS, or taking shots of the speedo, as you say. I don't have one myself as I'm scared that someone could easily snatch an iPhone 6. So I keep mine in my pocket.

I don't think the iPhone camera would have enough of wide angle to catch much, you are better off buying an action camera such as gopro or clone ( SJ4000, M1 or SJ5000+ )

This guy used a body mount with a gropro - I prefer the helmet mount myself, as a body mount is just another bit of kit to put on before you get out the door.

Amazing what time does .. I tried 3 other phone mounts this year and they just didn't cut it, they were either too big, too fiddly or didn't use the RAM mount system.

I resorted to a x-grip but am very careful at traffic lights.