Governor slams police for Phuket beach order enforcement tactics

webfact

Tired of being the advocate of the devil but I was never scammed at Nai Harn beach. 2 chairs, big umbrella, 2 small tables for 200-- bath for the day. The guys would help you move in the shade again when the sun traveled across the sky. No fuzz about bringing a coolbox. Sometimes have a night time BBQ with them as well, just fun.

Now pffffffff nothing but dirty beaches

P....s up in a brewery, too many cooks, are the first things that spring to mind along with opportunism to scam the tourists.

What scam, didn't you read the OP? No-one is being scammed but the inability to organise a piss-up in a brewery is probably yours based on the evidence that your brain couldn't organise the words in the report and make sense of them.

I will treat your insults with the contempt they deserve. The piss up in the brewery comment simply highlights all the confusing statements & so called beach rules which have been emanating from the authorities & have been featured in numerous news items. If you cannot see a scam happening here then you must be blind. As for the other poster who inferred I was a Thai basher I will say that I am simply stating how I see it. It is a perfect opportunity for the authorities to gain maximum extraction from both tourists & those involved in the renting/selling of deck chairs.

I wonder if anyone has thought about selling those mini back rests.They hardly take up any space & can be easily folded up & carried. This could be a good compromise solution.

12_1352350838732_l.jpg

The Governor is blaming the police for enforcing the law. How about that! I seem to remember photos of the governor walking around the beaches with the police looking very smug with himself that local businesses were being closed down. Now it's all backfired he's playing "pass the turd" and looking for somebody to blame. Quality.

A lot of older tourists simply can't get down on to the beach to use a beach towel, never mind get back up again, yet now they're being banned. I wonder hopw the police will react if a wheelchair user goes to the beach?

This is what you get when uneducated unelected fools are in charge

What he likes with this thais not making money ???

Clean beaches and dirty water full of all kind of floting stuff incl.jetski

Bike rental on most parking lots in front of the beach they mayby not making money

Tuk tuk and taxis every other parking space

To many times children and other turist leave the waters at phuket with rashes proberly a waste water problem but not a problem for the importened thais better be only importened and unelected with no responsibility with only skills as kiss ass and corruption and sit and make selfies for Facebook

So, according to the PG, the Governor has opened his mouth again and the words of wisdom coming out state that all sunbeds are now banned and that umbrellas are only allowed in the 10% zone. Yet more u-turns!

This whole farce is making the Governor, the police and everyone involved with law enforcement and local politics on this island look like a total bunch of brainless idiots who don't have the balls to stand up to the local mafias.

How many posters on this forum give a tinker's cuss about the bloody tourists? How does it effect them? Get a bloody grip.

I no longer live there, having found I am much happier outside of an economy thats designed to profit from outsiders.. But I would still rather a successful happy location than one in hardship and turmoil..

Phuket is powered by tourism.. Take it away and it would go into freefall.. Crime rates spike.. So many Thais are debt to the eyeballs, assuming next year will be richer than this one every year to infinity.. so borrow and spend now.. Even a moderate downturn, sustained over a multi year period, and I doubt it would be pretty for the social structure.

Its easy to complain about the pink tourist wobbling along on a scooter he probably shouldnt be on.. But its what makes the island have the resources and amenities it has.

So, according to the PG, the Governor has opened his mouth again and the words of wisdom coming out state that all sunbeds are now banned and that umbrellas are only allowed in the 10% zone. Yet more u-turns!

This whole farce is making the Governor, the police and everyone involved with law enforcement and local politics on this island look like a total bunch of brainless idiots who don't have the balls to stand up to the local mafias.

Does make me wonder, in a nation where face is so important, why this kind of face losing doesnt bother them.

Does make me wonder, in a nation where face is so important, why this kind of face losing doesnt bother them.

Because it's never their face that is being lost. That's why the governor blames the police and the police blame the tourists.

If they tried an eating ban at any beach regularly frequented by Thais and not farangs there would be uproar.

Bang Saen is probably the best example: the beach consists of banks of umbrellas packed so tightly together that no sunlight can get through at all, underneath which are deckchairs and low tables which are used for the pickup-load of Thais to eat copious amounts of rice and seafood along with a bottle of whisky, ice and soda.

But back to Phuket; this is now getting ridiculous. Still, the empty beaches, after all the tourists have been scared off, will look great next season.

In this video police are telling tourists who have been coming to Phuket for 20 years to go home, if they don't like the new policy. The tourists say they will and probably won't ever come back but will write letters to let everyone at home know what happens to tourists in Phuket these days.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=460653970752355

first how do you know it is police they are talking too - I very much doubt it

Phuket beaches are quite large and even though the vendors had their plots it wasn't near as bad as places like Pattaya Jomtien and Koh Larn where the umbrellas chairs and tables occupy about 90% of the available space with about 20% of forced usage - the reason for this is simple - vendor (forced usage) if you want to use this beach you will pay me for chair table and umbrella and at a time in the not too distant past if you just wanted to use a towel on an empty space (which was/is very hard to find) you would have been harassed by the vendors and forced to leave or rent something

It is a simple solution to leave the beach free of vendors, tourists can occupy anywhere they like - bring their own equipment or rent it from somewhere off the beach - that is it - simple uncomplicated and easy for all to understand

The positive of this is that the Thais renting the equipment (from off beach) will have to up their game and provide decent loungers to attract customers the choice being given to the tourist where to sit and what equipment they use and what price rather than being told

what on earth is so difficult about this

Smedly, I also wasn't sure from the video who the tourists were talking to but this morning I saw the same episode on Sorayuth's Channel 3 news programme filmed from a different angle that showed the interlocutors were uniformed police.

Smoking stinks and the butts are filth so that's a good thing.

The island is on the slide and I'll just sit back enjoy the ride into the abyss.

I'd be crying if I wasn't laughing so much.

I wonder what the BiB will do if they spot me at north Karon beach - up past the little "fisherman" circle - sitting on the tailgate of my pick-up (which I back on to the edge of the beach to get a nice sea view) or, heaven forbid!, sitting in the back of my pickup on a chair. cheesy.gif

as if it wasn't known already - this guy is a complete asole

Time he got his marching orders - give him a few driving lessons and he might just make the grade to pilot a tuk tuk.......then again ?

what on earth is this man doing in a job as governor of one of the prime tourist destinations in SEA

Head - firmly up brown crinkler

In this video police are telling tourists who have been coming to Phuket for 20 years to go home, if they don't like the new policy. The tourists say they will and probably won't ever come back but will write letters to let everyone at home know what happens to tourists in Phuket these days.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=460653970752355

first how do you know it is police they are talking too - I very much doubt it

Phuket beaches are quite large and even though the vendors had their plots it wasn't near as bad as places like Pattaya Jomtien and Koh Larn where the umbrellas chairs and tables occupy about 90% of the available space with about 20% of forced usage - the reason for this is simple - vendor (forced usage) if you want to use this beach you will pay me for chair table and umbrella and at a time in the not too distant past if you just wanted to use a towel on an empty space (which was/is very hard to find) you would have been harassed by the vendors and forced to leave or rent something

It is a simple solution to leave the beach free of vendors, tourists can occupy anywhere they like - bring their own equipment or rent it from somewhere off the beach - that is it - simple uncomplicated and easy for all to understand

The positive of this is that the Thais renting the equipment (from off beach) will have to up their game and provide decent loungers to attract customers the choice being given to the tourist where to sit and what equipment they use and what price rather than being told

what on earth is so difficult about this

Smedly, I also wasn't sure from the video who the tourists were talking to but this morning I saw the same episode on Sorayuth's Channel 3 news programme filmed from a different angle that showed the interlocutors were uniformed police.

aye - there is something badly wrong going on - it could be that someone in senior years who sits in the governors office all day has developed a liking for cigars and sits laughing all day as he removes his fingers one by one - Dreyfus wasn't it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEcsgbwBFRs

It seems to fit the profile of the madness that is going on

• Like 1

The island is on the slide and I'll just sit back enjoy the ride into the abyss.

I wonder what the BiB will do if they spot me at north Karon beach - up past the little "fisherman" circle - sitting on the tailgate of my pick-up (which I back on to the edge of the beach to get a nice sea view) or, heaven forbid!, sitting in the back of my pickup on a chair. cheesy.gif

look I smoke and it is a filthy habit - but I will always respect non smokers - I will walk across a street to dispose of a butt - I will use an ashtray - I do not throw butts in the sand on a beach, I will go out of my way to make sure that my filthy habit has as little impact on other people and the environment as I can possibly do

But to tell me that I can not have a smoke on a beach is quite frankly another Dreyfus moment

It is extraordinary that I am reading all this brown - maybe I will wake up tomorrow and be unable to find it

• Like 1

“Today, I’ve sent all three Vice Governors to hotels to ask for cooperation to inform their guests about the rules.”

So, what are the rules?

We will let you know as soon as we know, after all this is Thailand, what is rules Monday, may not be rules on Tuesday, never did like Phuket as of late, it has too many bad bad people for my liking

• Like 1

look I smoke and it is a filthy habit - but I will always respect non smokers - I will walk across a street to dispose of a butt - I will use an ashtray - I do not throw butts in the sand on a beach, I will go out of my way to make sure that my filthy habit has as little impact on other people and the environment as I can possibly do

But to tell me that I can not have a smoke on a beach is quite frankly another Dreyfus moment

It is extraordinary that I am reading all this brown - maybe I will wake up tomorrow and be unable to find it

I applaud you Smedly for considering others when you smoke. However unfortunately not all smokers are as conscientious as you are. Incidentally banning smoking on beaches is not new, many states in Australia ban smoking, although where you can/cannot smoke varies state to state.

Asean around the corner and here they can not even manage how tourists shall sit on a beachrolleyes.gif

It is going to be downright fascinating to see how ASEAN plays out here. Thailand has historically ignored many aspects of treaties like this one, that it has signed. If the same holds true this time, they could end up being a pariah in this region. It could blow up in a huge way for them. Not even sure if they have examined this. Not sure what is being done to make sure they abide by the treaty. Free importation of alcohol across all related borders is a big one. If they abide by it, we should see Bintang and beer Lao on the shelves of all Tescos, in January of 2016. Does anyone expect that to happen? Hope so. Thai beer is getting pretty old.