Using Thai Bank ATM cards abroad

Apologies if this has been covered before but I just did a search and couldn't find anything.

Are there any problems withdrawing foreign currency abroad with Thai ATM cards? Who sets the rate of exchange? Any hidden fees? Any other fees?

WHat would happen if an ATM "ate" my card?

Some of the countries I intend to use my Kasikorn and/or BBL cards to withdraw cash are: Japan, Korea, USA.

I don't see any other way, short carrying hundreds of thousands of THB on my person which seems silly and dangerous.

Thanks in advance.

I have used SCB and KBank debit cards both in ATM's and for payments in Singapore and UK. Never had any problem. As for rates and charges I never bothered to look, but KBank states the following;

"Withdrawals via ATMs abroad*** - 100 Baht per transaction. Fee from changes in exchange rate is not over than 2.5 percent".

I've used my Kasikorn ATM card in Europe, Japan, Korea and Australia without major problems, though not in the US.

The only minor problem I've encountered is in the UK where some shop staff don't understand that overseas cards cannot be used in "chip & pin" machines but have to be swiped.

I understand that Kasikorn charge 100 Baht when one of their cards is used to withdraw cash, plus whatever currency conversion is used on the day.

I suspect that retrieving a "swallowed" card might prove problematical, so I normally buy a back up debit card for use in an emergency, but I've never had to use it.

You get the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate and then the card-issuing Thai bank will apply a Bt100 to Bt150 foreign transaction fee on an ATM/debit card....if a credit card they will apply approx a 2.5% foreign transaction fee instead of a flat Bt100 to Bt150 fee like on their debit/ATM card. You can look up the Visa/Mastercard daily exchange rate at the Visa/Mastercard exchange rate webpages.

What about the BKK bank card that has a rather prominent chip in it. It takes marginally longer at BKK bank ATMs (the only ones you can use with it) but in shops it just get swiped like all the others. Has anyone used one abroad and had to put their PIN in or are they basically a waste of time>

I've used my Kasikorn ATM card in Europe, Japan, Korea and Australia without major problems, though not in the US.

The only minor problem I've encountered is in the UK where some shop staff don't understand that overseas cards cannot be used in "chip & pin" machines but have to be swiped.

I understand that Kasikorn charge 100 Baht when one of their cards is used to withdraw cash, plus whatever currency conversion is used on the day.

I suspect that retrieving a "swallowed" card might prove problematical, so I normally buy a back up debit card for use in an emergency, but I've never had to use it.

Is it only Thai ATMs which give you cash first then your card if you remember to push the button before you go?

I used my BBL card last year to withdraw cash in China. the usual fees and safer than carrying cash.

Just make sure you change your withdrawal limit to an amount you may be comfortable with before you leave. Travelled to the States and had a daily withdrawal limit of 20,000 Baht, and at one point needed more than that. Calling Kasikorn and SCB from abroad on Skype can be a daunting task.
Cheers

If I remember correctly, pretty standard fees/exchange rates + 150 baht from Kasikorn. If you lose your card, you would have to fly back to your opening bank branch in Thailand (happened to my friend).

And your friend chose not to get a card clone issued for 250 baht because......?

Check which BBL Debit card you have first (is it blue & white ?).

I had a Be1st Debit card that I could use in all banks in Thailand and overseas - no problem.

Lost it in an ATM near home (as someone noted, cash comes before the card and I was in a bit of a hurry)

Went to my bank for replacement and the new card I received was a Be1st Debit card but with different colours and different markings.

Later found out it did not work in any banks other than BBL.

Was in Malaysia so it was a right pain in the ass.

Changed it back to the blue & white one on my next R&R

Check which BBL Debit card you have first (is it blue & white ?).

I had a Be1st Debit card that I could use in all banks in Thailand and overseas - no problem.

Lost it in an ATM near home (as someone noted, cash comes before the card and I was in a bit of a hurry)

Went to my bank for replacement and the new card I received was a Be1st Debit card but with different colours and different markings.

Later found out it did not work in any banks other than BBL.

Was in Malaysia so it was a right pain in the ass.

Changed it back to the blue & white one on my next R&R

You probably got the Bangkok Bank Be1st "chipped" debit card which only works in EMV-capable ATMs (i.e., ATMs that accept chipped cards...Chip & PIN ATMs). Within Thailand pretty much only Bangkok Bank has upgraded their ATMs to be EMV-capable which means within Thailand you must use their chipped card within a Bangkok Bank ATM to get cash; if you have their non-chipped card you can use any Thai bank ATMs. On a worldwide basis EMV-capable ATMs are very common but some countries have still not completed transitioning to chipped cards and EMV-capable ATMs....like how Thailand is still transitioning....the U.S. is still transitioning also....etc. Now, that doesn't mean places like the U.S. don't have any EMV-capable ATMs as they do...it's just they have not 100% transitioned yet so some ATMs will be "chipped" card capable and others will not be.

post-55970-0-44014000-1424314491_thumb.j

What about the BKK bank card that has a rather prominent chip in it. It takes marginally longer at BKK bank ATMs (the only ones you can use with it) but in shops it just get swiped like all the others. Has anyone used one abroad and had to put their PIN in or are they basically a waste of time>

In 2013, in Malaysia, I flew there from Chiang Mai, I was unable to use any ATM cards any ATM's except for my Bangkok Bank card, and only at Bangkok Bank terminals. I am surprised at all the respondents to this post having no trouble using their ATM cards, but for me - at KL and Georgetown, and probably in Penang, my cards from WElls Fargo and Chase banks were not accepted - only the B.B. card.

In 2013, in Malaysia, I flew there from Chiang Mai, I was unable to use any ATM cards any ATM's except for my Bangkok Bank card, and only at Bangkok Bank terminals. I am surprised at all the respondents to this post having no trouble using their ATM cards, but for me - at KL and Georgetown, and probably in Penang, my cards from WElls Fargo and Chase banks were not accepted - only the B.B. card.

I have used K bank and SCB bank cards in the following countries: Japan, Korea, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Maldives, Singapore, Vietnam and South Africa without a problem. Both my children have K bank accounts which they use to draw money from in their respective countries.

You are right, the responses are mostly saying cards without specifying that these cards should be Master, Visa or some of the international acceptable cards. I am sure if you have only a local bank card it may not work abroad. But the Visa, Master cards that I know and have used work abroad without any problems for me. I would like to ask one question. If an ATM swallows my card from Thailand say in my home country, can't I just go to the bank and ask them to retrieve the card for me?

Use my Bangkok Bank card everywhere, never had a problem, only when the ATM does not have the "Plus" Logo

but most major banks are members.

Just ensure by going to your bank before the first time you use overseas that have an International card.

Rates given are very competitive as BKKB just use the daily exchange rate.

Not the same can be said for Singapore or Oze banks who are rip offs

Yes ... and no.

The fees are clearly displayed, just as they are here; with usually a B100 fee per withdrawal to your Thai bank. FX rate would be that set by the ATM bank; again, as they are here, with rates better than cash.

I've never had a card 'eaten', so can't comment on that, but have had problems withdrawing cash in the UK, both via Kasikorn and Ayuttaya, and with no feasible explanation from the banks, on my return. That said, I haven't often had issues; and you can also use debit cards abroad, which in Kasikorn's case, at least, results in SMS balance notifications from the bank.

Bangkok bank debit cards with a chip only work in Bangkok bank ATM's here. I don't even bother to bring them to the U.S. or Europe. Maybe if the ATM had a chip reader? Haven't tried my Kasikorn or other cards. Have a plan B is my advice.

I've had problems in both USA and the Phillipines with using my ATM card. You should check with your bank before you travel. You should also try and find out how many characters are required to be input for the password. My Thai ATM password and the number of characters required were different for some other ATM bank branches when I was traveling and it created a bit of a delay for me to get things sorted out with my bank. Always check first... Good luck

• 5 months later...

Maybe my experience will be useful for somebody.

Last month I have used Kasikorn debit card in Malaysia. I couldn't withdraw in Maybank ATM (three times, different cities), MEPS bank ATM, HongLeong ATM. Every time my card was rejected. I find only two banks which ATMs didn't rejected my card - CIMB bank and Kuwait Financial House.