Yamaha MT-07 Coming In 2015

BKKBike09

^ "many naked sport bikes"?? So what are they, especially in the 300K price range? Also the tank isn't plastic. It's got plastic covers.

i see many people complain about plastic tanks.... why?

metal tank is more weight up high, and gets hot.... i dont see the advantage to a metal tank... can someone educate me why you would want metal over plastic?

Because plastic melts.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ "many naked sport bikes"?? So what are they, especially in the 300K price range? Also the tank isn't plastic. It's got plastic covers.

i see many people complain about plastic tanks.... why?

metal tank is more weight up high, and gets hot.... i dont see the advantage to a metal tank... can someone educate me why you would want metal over plastic?

Google "ethanol fuel" and "plastic tank". Ethanol-gasoline blends can, over time, degrade certain types of plastic.

Decent rider write-up here:

https://isontheroad.wordpress.com/2014/11/02/yamaha-mt-07/

cb650f comes to my mind first. a lot better value and cheaper and good quality.

you can get a kawasaki 800 for a bit more.

kawasaki er6n is always there.

suzuki gladius is sold in Thailand.

benneli too if you consider low quality chinese bikes but it sounds exciting.

i can even count cb500f, cb300f , ktm 390 duke and z300 although not the same caliper but for Thailand and those twisties not a lot of difference.

ducati scrambler and monster has similar prices.

and if you can pay more on top of 300 k, there are a lot better options like triumph street triple, hypermotard, bmw f 800 etc.

just dont get me wrong. i am not sure if you own a mt 07 or not. but i also like yamaha mt 07 and love to own one. it is a great value light bike with good power, and our rider ranks are getting crowded with such bikes so i respect it.

but lets dont exaggerate a budget bike with some quality problems, that is what i am saying, lets dont fool ourselves.

Prices yes,

are a factor and in the same price range is not really much,, if you are not to easy with what a "bit" is. smile.png

Yamaha MT 07 = in the moment 299.000.- B.

Honda CB 650 F - yes a bit cheaper as the Yamaha MT 07

Kawasaki ER6N - less

Suzuki Gladius 20.000 B. up

Kawasaki z800 a bit ,more? I think 70-80.000 more, that is a big bit. wink.png

Benelli costs similar to the MT 07

cb500f, cb300f , ktm 390 duke and z300 - not the same caliber

Ducati Scrambler - similar prices? to MT 07? = min. 70.000 B. up tongue.png

Ducati Monster 821 - similar prices to? MT 07 = min 170.000 B. up blink.png

Triumph Speed Triple price 140.000 B. up

BMW F800 about same Triumph

Ducati Hypermotard 200.000 B up

Decisions to make smile.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Test rode Honda 650f, a heavy barge, sure great engine.Quality yes.

Honda CB 500 way less power and heavy again.

Nothing like the light weight fun experience of the MT 07.

Ducati, been there done that, harsh forks, not a comfortable riding position.High maintenance costs, belts valves etc.

Kawasaki 800 heavy, 80 k more.

Just saying.

Read the reviews of the MT 07!

"Honda 650f, a heavy barge"?

I test rode it on the hills around Patong and from and to Phuket town, with very nice curves - came to the conclusion, a very nice bike on curvy roads, possibly second to the MT 07 - I did not ride her,

but nevertheless an easy and good to ride bike on curvy roads -

"heavy barge" fits to other bikes, but not the CB650F in my opinion!blink.png

Ducati High maintenance cost? I think not so high =

Ducati Monster 821, oil change every 15.000 km, valves 30.000 km 2 year warranty

http://www.ducatithailand.com/services/maintenance/index.do

Apologies, but just to clarify.

Ducati Scrambler, and air cooled Monsters valves at 10000 km.

Plus belt changes.

820 Monster about 170k above MT 07 price.

Interesting that Moto USA rated the MT 07, above 820 Monster!

Just great the MT 07 and Honda 650 F are available for hire!

Just ride and compare.

Everything is subjective!

Google "ethanol fuel" and "plastic tank". Ethanol-gasoline blends can, over time, degrade certain types of plastic.

ah gotcha.... ethanol could warp the tank over time..... i did a quick google but didnt see how LONG it takes for that effect to become an actual problem

5 years?

10 years?

i doubt it happens very fast (IE within a few years) because i dont think major manufacturers would put a plastic tank on a bike that they know is being sold to a country with ethanol in the pumps if it was going to warp and have to be replaced quickly, or even within the warranty period

plus its unlikely i would own the same bike for that long anyway....1-3 years and you get bored, you want something new.... probably long before any tank problems develop.

ah gotcha.... ethanol could warp the tank over time..... i did a quick google but didnt see how LONG it takes for that effect to become an actual problem

5 years?

10 years?

i doubt it happens very fast (IE within a few years) because i dont think major manufacturers would put a plastic tank on a bike that they know is being sold to a country with ethanol in the pumps if it was going to warp and have to be replaced quickly, or even within the warranty period

plus its unlikely i would own the same bike for that long anyway....1-3 years and you get bored, you want something new.... probably long before any tank problems develop.

ducati thailand did.

I think we compare similar priced motorcycles, that are available in LOS!!!

You did that possibly. rolleyes.gif

For me it is only one Ducati model which was, is interesting for me,

a possibility for me to buy and that is the new Monster 821.

Therefore our different opinion.= High maintenance cost - or not so high maintenance costs. rolleyes.gif

• 1 month later...

I think we compare similar priced motorcycles, that are available in LOS!!!

You did that possibly. rolleyes.gif

For me it is only one Ducati model which was, is interesting for me,

a possibility for me to buy and that is the new Monster 821.

Therefore our different opinion.= High maintenance cost - or not so high maintenance costs. rolleyes.gif

I have a Hypermotard 821. Best bike I've ever owned, and it's still super fun 2 years down the road. It's slightly overpowered for the city, as the times and places where one can open up the throttle are few and far between (they do exist though, and I know them... hahaha).

Maintenance costs are not an issue. Same or less than the Kawasaki 650 I owned - it's insignificant. I am coming up on the desmo service at 30k but service interval of 15k means you really don't do this very often. I love the Ducati dealership in CNX too, very competent mechanics.

If I had anything to say about a Japan-built Japanese bike like the MT-07 vs. a Ducati - QUALITY is going to be better on the Yamaha. No doubt about that. I've had this and that go wrong on the Hyper, all fixed in warranty, and nothing in the last 6 months, knock on wood. But over the years this is the difference between an obsessive attention to detail like you'll see on Japanese or German brands, and all the others. Ducati engine is rock solid and sounds amazing, but there are many parts on a bike...

Example:

- Rear tail light stalk broke

- Headlight overheats and broke twice already

- Seat stitching is coming off after 2 years of .... sitting on it...

The Versys never had any of these minor issues even thought it's not exactly a high priced bike. It's the price you pay for the amazing styling and amazing performance and character on the Duc. I am also cleaning this bike more than any before it, but that's another story... ;)

• 1 year later...

They sell now at Yamaha dealer 2016 year models with reduced price and free premium insurance. I am now a happy owner of Mt7. I can give MT7 excellent review. Motorcycle is very comfortable, a lot of space for legs, very soft suspension. It rides like a boat, i do not feel patches and holes on road at all. Before I had Yamaha R3 with hard suspension, very little space for legs and even no rubber on footpegs. I felt pain in knee when riding over concrete roads with a lot of patches. With Mt7 all knee problems had gone. This bike is so well balanced, even on ultra low speed i do not need to put foots on ground.  Engine amazing, it starts from traffic light so fast with very little throttle. Very smooth cornering and excellent handling.