What bike(s) are you currently riding?

the 15kg must be those elephants of the stock pipes. This one looks much better!

Yup, pretty much all of it- going from stainless-steel and ceramic pontoon-sized duals to a full titanium system (with a weight of just over 4kg including the header and can) made a huge difference.

image.jpg

That must be a contender for the worlds most hideous butt ugly stock bike silencer.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great contributions. It always amazes me how much you can learn about a person (poster) if you know what they are riding.

I really hope that this thread stays civilized because it could/should go on for a long time. Which should be fairly easy because this is no topic for arguments. Just share what you ride and that's it. smile.png

Wait NM. I haven't contributed to this post yet, haha.

What are you waiting for?

My list is not for those insecure in their masculinity. They're kinda small.

1. 1969 Honda C50. 9,300 miles.

Still has the original brake shoes and air filter. By that I mean the very ones it came with in the 1960s. Most of the light bulbs, cables and much else are also the stuff it was supplied with. Engine has never been touched other than a new spark plug.

Because I am a bit of a rebel at heart sometimes I get my head down and let the full 4.8 horsepower rip. On a long straight with the wind behind me I may see 60 kmh (indicated).

2. Honda Dream, 2001.

174,300 km on the engine and it has never had anything other than routine maintenance. Runs just fine. Doesn't burn oil or leak. Everybody rides this bike. Our workers, sisters, cousins, aunts. Probably the best value motor vehicle I have ever bought.

3. Honda Wave 110i, 2012

Not dissimilar to the dream but with a decades development. Demonstrates how to do engine mapping right.

4. Honda VFR 400 NC30, 1990.

One of the best bikes Honda ever made IMO. Even if it did not work I would be happy to park it in my living room and just look at it.

The fact that I owned this 25 year old bike at the same time as a Ducati Monster 795 was what convinced me to sell the Ducati. Other than the brakes the Ducati was in every aspect inferior to the Honda.

It is a pain in the ass if you use it irregularly as Thai fuel messes up the four carburettors but other than that it is pretty bullet proof. I fix the carbs myself but it takes a day. I would not trust anyone else to do it.

RPM limit is 15,000 and it has been doing that reliably for the last 25 years.

Great contributions. It always amazes me how much you can learn about a person (poster) if you know what they are riding.

I really hope that this thread stays civilized because it could/should go on for a long time. Which should be fairly easy because this is no topic for arguments. Just share what you ride and that's it. smile.png

Wait NM. I haven't contributed to this post yet, haha.

What are you waiting for?

Guess I wanted to give the thread a chance to run before the haters come on (usually after I've posted) and force the thread closure.

Anyway, here goes.

First bike I bought in Thailand was the PCX 150. Enjoyed riding it tremendously. Bought Givi soft panniers and a "tank" bag (basically a bag that fits in front of you on top of the fuel cap). Rode it all the way to Yasothon in a day. Enjoyed it tremendously, even if it was a bit slow and boring at times. Left the bike there as I drove home in the pickup instead. Eventually the bike got delivered to Pattaya and I rode it home from there.

About a month of so after, a friend was interested in the Versys so I accompanied him to Real Kawasaki. Sat on it and thought to myself, now, this would be a lot more fun than the PCX for touring rides. Waiting list was about a month so paid my deposit (they accept ATM debit cards). Friend didn't buy. Picked up the Versys the following month and till today, it's my go to bike. In my opinion, this is the best all rounder bike available today. I've taken it on the track, off road, on touring rides as well as just riding around Bkk. It does the job extremely well in all the above scenarios - except for off road, I guess

Fast forward a year. PCX serving me well for riding around Bkk, getting from A to B. Versys, ever reliable on long distance tours to Isaan, North Thailand (and super comfy even when two up - mind you,the bike is heavy, what with a radiator guard, guard rails, belly pan, hard panniers and top box).

Z800 launched. I wanted more power. Went to check it out. No ABS. As a noobie, I thought that ABS would be a better option so decided to wait as I believed that the ABS version would be launched soon. Ninja 1000 launched (Z1000SX in the UK). Great reviews. Real Kawasaki calls me. I went to have a look. Loved it (as did she). Thought to myself, what the hell. I wanted more power than the Versys was able to deliver. While thinking it over, the KLX 250 caught my eye. I had visions of doing like Ryan Villopoto. After all, we only live once. Put down the deposit on both bikes. Waiting list one month. KLX was available a week before the Ninja. Took the KLX to Bo Din. Fell down more times I had extremities. Loved every minute. Took the Ninja on a Chiang Mai - Pai - MHS ride with a Ducati group on Multistradas, Panigales, Diavels and Monsters. Wasn't embarrassed. In fact, lost out only to the Panigales. Put it down to being two up with panniers (incidentally, the panniers were about the tenth of the price of the bike itself, though Real did me a good deal on them).

By now, I'm a happy bunny. From not owning a bike to having 4. What's next? Took the Versys to a track day. Great control, just not enough top speed. Took the Ninja. More than enough power but would cost me an arm and a leg to repair if I were to drop it. So, the only logical thing to do is to buy a dedicated track bike. So happens that a close friend was selling his ER6N to buy a CB600RR. Deal done over a beer and I was the proud owner of a race tuned ER6 (power commander, clip ons, rearsets, YSS shocks, Versys swingarm, Two Brothers exhaust, no horn, no blinkers - basically, not street legal). Most of all, cheap to repair.

Problems

Hard to keep track of servicing schedules, expiry dates of road tax, por ror bor, first class insurance (need to add my pickup into the mix).

Can't decide on which accessories for which bike

Hard to decide which bike to ride and when

Hard to park all in the same place so now have bikes in different parts of Thailand

Hate selling things - time poor, hate to deal with non-genuine buyers

Cons

Have a bike for almost every situ

Now seriously looking at a GS or KTM. But how to justify? I won't sell any of my current bikes. Advice and opinions welcomed.

p/s: no pics needed as these are all run of the mill standard bikes that google can easily display.

Full respect to the Honda Cub, or the Thai Wave/Dream 125 modern equivalent. I would have another tomorrow as a run around. Much prefer then to modern automatics.

This guy went half way round the world on a C90. Amazing story.

the 15kg must be those elephants of the stock pipes. This one looks much better!

Yup, pretty much all of it- going from stainless-steel and ceramic pontoon-sized duals to a full titanium system (with a weight of just over 4kg including the header and can) made a huge difference.

image.jpg

That must be a contender for the worlds most hideous butt ugly stock bike silencer.

It absolutely ruins the bike- I changed it before it left the dealership. Kawi had to meet noise and emissions regulations so it had to be huge and heavy, but there was no way I was going to ride around with it.;)

Suzuki Cool 110cc

Honda Steed 400cc

Yamaha Dragstar 1100cc

Honda CBR 250

Kawasaki ER6N

The ER6N is probably the best all round bike of the lot. Okay for the outskirts of BKK and good for going on Sunday ride outside the city.

Full respect to the Honda Cub, or the Thai Wave/Dream 125 modern equivalent. I would have another tomorrow as a run around. Much prefer then to modern automatics.

This guy went half way round the world on a C90. Amazing story.

If a tanker flipped in front of me I would leave quickly.

Before any fireball.

I've seen the movies.

1st. CBR 150 - Great to learn on and good for city traffic but boring if you want to go fast.

2nd. CBR 400 - This was a headache. Fun when it worked but spent more time getting fixed than on the road.

3rd. VFR 400 - Beautiful bike but I found it to be uncomfortable and also wasn't reliable.

Current. CBR 929 - Very reliable, fast, and fun.

post-215380-0-29434600-1425463908_thumb.

post-215380-0-41785100-1425463929_thumb.

post-215380-0-21040100-1425463949_thumb.

post-215380-0-01111300-1425464028_thumb.

post-215380-0-13856900-1425464104_thumb.

Nighttrain in Thailand currently in my father in law's front room while i am stuck in singapore working. In singapore, Aprilia Tuono and Harley Ultra, both to be sold soon in preparation for my contract finishing here and returning to Thailand

post-63405-0-96916100-1425494990_thumb.j

post-63405-0-62988400-1425495007_thumb.j

post-63405-0-20018100-1425495025_thumb.j

• 11 months later...

I just bought this d'tracker250 new about a month ago.

. I think it's a good bike for where I live(about 3km of gravel and lumpy mud before I get to any tarmac).Buriram area.

I want to upgrade quite a few things on it once I get the 1000km service done at kawa.

post-253934-0-45650000-1455077980_thumb.

For some reason I waited until my 71st year to ride a bike. Not really sure why I waited so long.

My lady rides a 2015 Honda Click and I bought a 2015 Honda CBR 150R.

I immediately switched out the stock tires for a set of Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's and the exhaust with an Akrapovic full system. I ride every morning for two hours so I can improve my skills and am having a blast. Too much fun! Maybe some day I will move up but for now the 150R is all I can handle.

Thanks to everyone for the great info on this forum. I learn something new every day.

fb0d84a3b2d5173466a8a5a2033bdcc2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived