Motor Cyclists Beware.

Confused that you ride a bike on the hard shoulder and not on the first lane which is meant for slower traffic, if at all slower traffic does exist within thailand.

Sorry for the pun but glad to hear you came out of it relatively unscathed.

You stand a good chance of being run down on a small bike if you make a practice of using the first lane here. I ride a big bike and am usually doing around 100kph or more on open multi-lane roads, I use the first lane a lot instead of the shoulder to avoid smaller slower bikes, pedestrians or such. I have had a few close calls with cars and trucks who's drivers make it obvious that they think I should not be using that lane, but should be on the shoulder. It is not uncommon for them to come alongside and run me over onto the shoulder. If it is night time they will come up from behind and start flashing their headlights at me to get over and let them pass...even though all other lanes are empty.

I have learned to deal with it by staying as alert as possible to those people and often adjusting my speed down and pulling onto the shoulder.

If you're riding a big bike capable of cruising at 120 kph with top speed of 160 or more, what are you doing on the inside lane on multi laned roads and mixing it up with slower cars and trucks? After the hard shoulder, that's the most dangerous lane for a bike to be in.

My PCX has done over 14,000 kms, mostly city riding including round trip journeys of 50 km. I've done a couple of long distance touring rides of 1,000 + km roundtrip. In the city, I try to keep my speeds at around 60-80kph. On the touring rides, 80-100 kph (higher speed needed for overtaking slower cars and trucks in the first lane).

I always feel sorry for those slower bikes / riders riding on the hard shoulder as they have to contend with so many more hazards from both moving traffic and stationery obstructions. Ruts are a new one for me, have not seen one before but there are plenty of kerbs that often needs to be navigated in order to move into the first lane. Outside of the city, I would wager that the majority of bike accidents involve this category and not those bikes that are travelling on the outside lanes.

Due to the speed limitation of the PCX, I seldom take it for long distance rides now (bear in mind that it would be different if you were living in other parts of Thailand as the road and traffic conditions are dissimilar).

In my opinion, the safest way to ride around Thailand is on a big bike and cruising at 120-140 to stay ahead of slower traffic but not trying to go as fast as some pickups and cars.

To an earlier poster - speed does not kill. What kills is reckless riding and driving by other road users. Riding at 140 kph on a multi laned road (traffic permitting) is not reckless. Riding at 80 kph through heavy downtown traffic is reckless.

• Like 1

I don't ride on the shoulder. I tend to stay in the left lane unless passing. I am just about to ride back home from BKK. It's a lovely ride.

That's what I would do if I was riding a big bike.
attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect1426481318.753776.jpg

Not a big bike. Am 1/2 way home from BKK to Nakhon Nayok now.

The nice thing is, I have passed through 6 police checkpoints and have been waved through each time. They are stopping everyone but me. They see the stickers, smile and salute.

Life is good

Nakhon Nayok to BKK on Thursday, BKK to Nakhon Nayok today.

The worst part of the ride is that I mostly use 2 lane roads and there are many huge trucks barreling along those roads. They blow by fast enough to move my bike a couple of feet....

I have made this ride quite a few times over the years and it is really a nice few hours riding.

Isn't what everyone referring to as the hard shoulder in fact the bike lane?

On the road from Khampaen Phet to Tak, and right through Tak, the hard shoulder is marked as a motorbike lane.

When you get right into Tak, I refused to use it due to traffic coming from a side street and blocking you off, I just

stayed on the first lane.

You are not on the highway here but in a built up area.

It really is good to get some input on this topic from experienced riders here. Pattayapom, I have noticed roadside signs that would seem to suggest that you are correct on this issue, but I cannot read Thai and as we flew past them quickly I wasn't able to ask my wife or driver what they meant. I shall make a point of doing so as soon as I can and report my findings on this thread.

See my post #63.

Possum, i really do all i can to keep myself safe. And after testing things out i decided that i need a bike that can do at least 120kmh to be safe. A bike doing only 100kmh doesnt fit for me, as i think its dangerously slow. Too many cars coming from behind pushing you on the hard shoulder. And once you are on the hard shoulder you often have to slow down to 50-60kmh. So if you have a bike that can do 100 you can only do 50-60, if you have a bike that can do 120 you can do 120. Maybe you should upgrade to a Forza for riding highways. Imo safer and more fun than pottering on the hard shoulder.

I agree with you, there should be someone who is reponsible for such dangerous road conditions. But TiT, we should be thankful that there is now tarmac on most streets, even in remote areas. Thinking a country like Thailand can do it like a western country or even better is expecting too much. Even a country like germany is hardly able to keep all streets in good shape. Its a matter of having the money or not. For perfect streets you need much much more money.

Most bikers get to the front at stop lights,then gun it to get clear and keep clear of all the riff raff.

Confused that you ride a bike on the hard shoulder and not on the first lane which is meant for slower traffic, if at all slower traffic does exist within thailand.

You stand a good chance of being run down on a small bike if you make a practice of using the first lane here. I ride a big bike and am usually doing around 100kph or more on open multi-lane roads, I use the first lane a lot instead of the shoulder to avoid smaller slower bikes, pedestrians or such. I have had a few close calls with cars and trucks who's drivers make it obvious that they think I should not be using that lane, but should be on the shoulder. It is not uncommon for them to come alongside and run me over onto the shoulder. If it is night time they will come up from behind and start flashing their headlights at me to get over and let them pass...even though all other lanes are empty.

I have learned to deal with it by staying as alert as possible to those people and often adjusting my speed down and pulling onto the shoulder.

Thats what happened to my father in-law,run down from behind in the 1st lane,dead.

If you're riding a big bike capable of cruising at 120 kph with top speed of 160 or more, what are you doing on the inside lane on multi laned roads and mixing it up with slower cars and trucks? After the hard shoulder, that's the most dangerous lane for a bike to be in.

My PCX has done over 14,000 kms, mostly city riding including round trip journeys of 50 km. I've done a couple of long distance touring rides of 1,000 + km roundtrip. In the city, I try to keep my speeds at around 60-80kph. On the touring rides, 80-100 kph (higher speed needed for overtaking slower cars and trucks in the first lane).

I always feel sorry for those slower bikes / riders riding on the hard shoulder as they have to contend with so many more hazards from both moving traffic and stationery obstructions. Ruts are a new one for me, have not seen one before but there are plenty of kerbs that often needs to be navigated in order to move into the first lane. Outside of the city, I would wager that the majority of bike accidents involve this category and not those bikes that are travelling on the outside lanes.

Due to the speed limitation of the PCX, I seldom take it for long distance rides now (bear in mind that it would be different if you were living in other parts of Thailand as the road and traffic conditions are dissimilar).

In my opinion, the safest way to ride around Thailand is on a big bike and cruising at 120-140 to stay ahead of slower traffic but not trying to go as fast as some pickups and cars.

To an earlier poster - speed does not kill. What kills is reckless riding and driving by other road users. Riding at 140 kph on a multi laned road (traffic permitting) is not reckless. Riding at 80 kph through heavy downtown traffic is reckless.

I have an open mind here, I think we had a debate about this on an earlier thread. The speed limit in Thailand is 120kph, you say you sometimes ride at 140kph.

I am not saying you are wrong, as I am always the first to say I do not obey rules I don't agree with if I can help it. I suppose it is reasonably safe if you take into account

traffic and road conditions, where you have to be careful here is making sure that you don't put anyone else at risk when you are riding at 140kph.

I ride where I am most safe. At a speed I am most safe.

RH lane, Centre lane, LH lane, sidewalk, shoulder, ditch.

Get a fine - it's money. Get an accident - maybe injured, maybe killed.

No one looking out for me except me.

Excellent reply.

• Like 1

Get a fine - it's money. Get an accident - maybe injured, maybe killed.

That's fine Seedy, if I had a big bike I would be the same, but you have to make sure no innocent person is hurt.

You mention sidewalk, you don't ride on the sidewalk, do you? Even if it's clear when you go on to it, some

pedestrians could appear from an alleyway, doorway, from behind or in front of a parked vehicle etc.

I can't remember whether you have a big bike or not, but I have never seen a big bike on the sidewalk.

It really is good to get some input on this topic from experienced riders here. Pattayapom, I have noticed roadside signs that would seem to suggest that you are correct on this issue, but I cannot read Thai and as we flew past them quickly I wasn't able to ask my wife or driver what they meant. I shall make a point of doing so as soon as I can and report my findings on this thread.

More like the "bike, water buffalo, cow, bicycle,cart-pushing pedestrian lane", but yes...your assumption is technically correct. I am not sure if this is really true or not, but I have been told that if you are riding a bike and are involved in an accident in any lane other than the shoulder you are considered to be at fault. Maybe someone else can prove or disprove this?

My lucky escape with a massive pothole in the hard shoulder was a couple of years back on the Bang Bua Thong to Suphanburi road. I have never been back that way and consider it one of the worst surfaces i have ever seen in Thailand. That was over two years ago but i wont hold my breath thinking it has been repaired.

• Like 1

After riding, on and off, for 40 years in Melbourne Australia with their bl00dy tram tracks I got used to the rough transition when changing lanes.

Must be a (DELETED) when something like that catches you off guard and you go down.

Edited by seedy
language

I completely agree with the many posters who avoid the hard shoulder. I came the closest to death here when using it and never again. Also agree about maintaining a good speed. Going 60/70 kph or using the hard should or both are recipes for disaster.

Yep, the only accident i had so far was on the hard shoulder. A scooter ran into my back. I was a bit too slow, even for the hard shoulder. Then police came with car and another scooter crashed into the police car that had warning lights flashing. TiT :)

You obviously have no knowledge of bike riding in Thailand so why the (DELETED) thumbsup.gif

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

I have an open mind here, I think we had a debate about this on an earlier thread. The speed limit in Thailand is 120kph, you say you sometimes ride at 140kph.

I am not saying you are wrong, as I am always the first to say I do not obey rules I don't agree with if I can help it. I suppose it is reasonably safe if you take into account

traffic and road conditions, where you have to be careful here is making sure that you don't put anyone else at risk when you are riding at 140kph.

If I was living in a country where traffic laws are enforced and the Highway Code is followed and 99.9% of the other road users are qualified, then I will observe and obey the traffic laws. In all the years of living and driving in Europe, I was only ever caught speeding once on a speed camera - doing 85 kmh in a 80 kmh zone, at the start of the highway just outside of Lucerne.

However, I'm living in Thailand. To most experienced motorists here, I think that answers your implied question.

Maybe that was just after the floods carter? I remember a lot of the roads were cut up then in the area, although generally the roads around suphan are decent roads, care of a certain politician

My lucky escape with a massive pothole in the hard shoulder was a couple of years back on the Bang Bua Thong to Suphanburi road. I have never been back that way and consider it one of the worst surfaces i have ever seen in Thailand. That was over two years ago but i wont hold my breath thinking it has been repaired.

you don't ride on the sidewalk, do you?

Not yet, but will use it if I need to.

Been forced into the ditch before.

I popped up onto a sidewalk for 50m yesterday. Not typical for me but I certainly will definitely it off needed.

If I was living in a country where traffic laws are enforced and the Highway Code is followed and 99.9% of the other road users are qualified, then I will observe and obey the traffic laws. In all the years of living and driving in Europe, I was only ever caught speeding once on a speed camera - doing 85 kmh in a 80 kmh zone, at the start of the highway just outside of Lucerne.

However, I'm living in Thailand. To most experienced motorists here, I think that answers your implied question.

Yes it does, well done to you for that, you have got to do what you think is safer for yourself riding in this country, though I will never excuse riding on the sidewalk, except if there was an accident on the road and it was impossible to ride on or go back, and it was a very short ride, and you go no faster than walking pace.

A pcx150 outpace a truck, what? I have done over 170km/h in my truck on the toll ways sometimes, so I don't think so. I have a 100% standard Ranger 2.2 so nothing fancy.

I also has a pcx150 and it's very good for city riding but I don't like riding it out on the highways at it's app max cruising speed 80km/h, you are getting overtaken by most 4 wheelers. Sure you can ride at about 100km/h (full whack) but it's not very stable at those speeds and the engine will not last long if 100% loaded all the time, fuel cons. will also suffer quite a lot when you push it like that.

OP good to hear that nothing serious happened to you and you could complete your trip.

Get a cbr250/300cc and you can follow normal traffic without problems but it might not be comfortable for you?

I agree that a 150 cc bike will be unstable at 100kmh, the top speed I ride at is 60kmh, I think I am safer on the hardshoulder when I ride on the highway, but what do I do when there is an obstruction, ie a parked vehicle? I saw the rut on the road, I have used that road often, and that rut has always being there.

I slowed down to about 40kmh, no faster, and I never expected that to happen. I keep wondering what more I could have done apart from stopping and edging my way on to the first lane.

Due to the gyroscopic effect of spinning wheels, bikes are more stable at higher speeds.

[Try not tipping at 0kph}

Thin wheels crossing a crack at a very acute angle are subject to spilling.

Engine displacement is not a factor.

My friend has wider wheels [from CBR] and wide tires on his Wave.

No worries with ruts.

Like the guy says, 'I can explain it, but I can't make you to understand.'

You likely still believe that Yamahas depreciate much faster than other makes, right?

• Like 1

Legally, bikes must keep left.

Hard shoulder is left.

On my rides around Thailand I have often encountered signage (& cops) directing bikes to the hard shoulder.

Speed limit for bikes is 90 [not 120] on roads that they can legally use.

Not complicated.

Edited by papa al

Get a fine - it's moneyarrow-10x10.png. Get an accident - maybe injured, maybe killed.

Interesting.

Thanks for the insight.

(DELETED)

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

A pcx150 outpace a truck, what? I have done over 170km/h in my truck on the toll ways sometimes, so I don't think so. I have a 100% standard Ranger 2.2 so nothing fancy.

I also has a pcx150 and it's very good for city riding but I don't like riding it out on the highways at it's app max cruising speed 80km/h, you are getting overtaken by most 4 wheelers. Sure you can ride at about 100km/h (full whack) but it's not very stable at those speeds and the engine will not last long if 100% loaded all the time, fuel cons. will also suffer quite a lot when you push it like that.

OP good to hear that nothing serious happened to you and you could complete your trip.

Get a cbr250/300cc and you can follow normal traffic without problems but it might not be comfortable for you?

I agree that a 150 cc bike will be unstable at 100kmh, the top speed I ride at is 60kmh, I think I am safer on the hardshoulder when I ride on the highway, but what do I do when there is an obstruction, ie a parked vehicle? I saw the rut on the road, I have used that road often, and that rut has always being there.

I slowed down to about 40kmh, no faster, and I never expected that to happen. I keep wondering what more I could have done apart from stopping and edging my way on to the first lane.

Due to the gyroscopic effect of spinning wheels, bikes are more stable at higher speeds.

[Try not tipping at 0kph}

Thin wheels crossing a crack at a very acute angle are subject to spilling.

Engine displacement is not a factor.

My friend has wider wheels [from CBR] and wide tires on his Wave.

No worries with ruts.

Like the guy says, 'I can explain it, but I can't make you to understand.'

You likely still believe that Yamahas depreciate much faster than other makes, right?

Your last sentence, yes, without a doubt, but only referring to a Fino. Also fuel consumption bad. No complaints about the quality of the bike though.

I can certainly say that my little bike is fine at 100kph... But it is wound out at that speed. I cruise at 80 on roads I know, and slower on country roads

That's fine, but just let me give you a little bit of warning. On a road you know, you could be riding on it one day, then

one or two days after, on your 'little bike' you could be riding at 80 Kph, and a pothole has appeared, or someone has come out of a

side road without looking, which is very common in this country, where could that leave you?

Just because you 'know' a certain road, that does not give you a greater advantage on a road you don't know.

Treat all roads the same, use common sense and keep safe.

So we can agree different people different speeds.

I go around 80km/h on my pcx150 when out on the highways which is not often as I don't like the lack of power, so I use it mainly as city hopper and there I follow the general speed of the other scooters.

I sometimes go very fast on my Versys but only in very short bursts where there is a clear road ahead of me and no sois crossing and no U-turns.

If you can't go fast on your big bike now and again, what's the point of having it?

Yes a good road can be a bad road the next day so I try avoiding riding out on the highways after dark because sometimes you can't see pot holes in time.

Drunk drivers/riders also tend to be drunk after dark but you never know.

• Like 1