Inon strobe repair in Bangkok?

AleG

Today I took my Inon S2000 on a dive without the O-Ring for the battery compartment, it wasn't pretty...

One of the reasons I bought this strobe is that, in theory, the battery compartment and the rest of the electronics are sealed; that theory proved to be leaking, I mean, lacking.

I can see water got inside the unit, so I will have to take it to fix, is there anywhere in Bangkok were I could take it? Would it be worth it? I never flooded a strobe, and I won't be able to open to dry the inside until tomorrow night so the electronics are going to be marinating in sea water and battery juices for almost 48 hours by then.

I don't know this device, but if you have sea water in the electronic do whatever you can to open it now, disconnect the battery and flush it with distilled water (or lack of drinking water).

If you can't open it and there is a solid wall of aluminum drilling a hole and flushing + drying might be better than nothing (can be closed with a screw later and there is not much to loose as seawater is very bad).

Looks a nice piece of kit...

Unless you have insurance, H90 advice seems sound, though I would be inclined to soak in the purest water you can get for a few hours and agitate from time to time, drying needs to be slow in just a warm ventilated place, free from direct sunlight, when you think it is dry put it in a sealed box with a few water absorbing Silica Gel Sachets for a few days.

If you do have Insurance just get it to a service centre or call your Insurance company ASAP, hopefully you will get a new one.

In the end I fixed it myself; I've got quite a bit of experience cleaning electronics after a salt water bath, but I couldn't tell if the electronics would be OK after the experience.

There was only some damage to a couple solder joints, corrosion from electrolysis when the capacitors shorted, but nothing serious. The only problem now is that a little spring in the battery cover flew to parts unknown when I was disassembling it , so I'll have to scrounge a replacement from somewhere, but the strobe itself works fine.

For cleaning and drying out electronics what I use is alcohol, it will clean the circuits, absorb the water and then quickly evaporate taking the water with it, works perfectly.