FA's Greg Dyke announces plans to restrict non-EU players

mrbojangles

FA's Greg Dyke announces plans to restrict non-EU players

FA chairman Greg Dyke has warned Premier League football is in danger of "having nothing to do with English people" as new proposals to limit the number of non-EU players are outlined by English football's governing body.

The FA has also revealed plans to toughen the rules on home-grown talent in the latest proposals from its commission, which was set up in 2013 to improve the England team.

The commission has also proposed changes to work permit rules having highlighted flaws in the system.

The stricter work-permit rules, approved by the Home Office on Friday, will come into force from 1 May.

Under the proposals outlined by the FA on Monday:

•A player will have to have been registered with his club from the age of 15 - down from 18 - to qualify as 'home-grown'.

•The minimum number of home-grown players in a club's first-team squad of 25 will increase from eight to 12, phased over four years from 2016.

•At least two home-grown players must also be 'club-trained' players - defined as any player, irrespective of nationality, that has been registered for three years at their club from the age of 15.

•Only the best non-EU foreign players will be granted permission to play in England.

More here from the BBC:- http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/32024808

Martinez, Diaby, Flamini, Arteta. Don't think we'd hurt losing those.

Manchester City would need to axe SIX overseas stars if the FA’s new proposals concerning home-grown players were implemented today.

FA chairman Greg Dyke wants to introduce tougher rules to improve opportunities for home-grown players and according to our research, five current Premier League squads would not comply with the new regulations.

The FA wants to phase in the new rules over four years from 2016, but the current squads of Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and Newcastle would not be allowed.

The proposals are:

- Players, irrespective of nationality, will have to be with his club from age 15 to qualify as home-grown

- The number of non-home grown players in each 25-man squad is to be reduced from 17 to 13

- At least two home-grown players must be club trained

Looking at the current 20 Premier League squad lists, as published on the Premier League’s website in February, 15 clubs would have little trouble meeting the new rules.

However, the following five teams would need to make significant changes…

MANCHESTER CITY – At least six changes needed

Manchester City have the current maximum of 17 non home-grown players. Those are:

Sergio Aguero, Wilfried Bony, Willy Caballero, Martin Demichelis, Edin Dzeko, Fernando, Fernandinho, Stevan Jovetic, Aleksandar Kolarov, Vincent Kompany, Eliaquim Mangala, Samir Nasri, Jesus Navas, Bacary Sagna, David Silva, Yaya Toure and Pablo Zabaleta.

In addition Gael Clichy and Dedryck Boyata would no longer be classed as a home-grown players under the new rules because they did not play for English clubs for three years before their 18th birthdays.

If the rules were introduced today, City would need to offload six of the players listed above.

TOTTENHAM – At least four changes needed

Tottenham also have the current maximum of 17 non-home grown players. Those are:

Emmanuel Adebayor, Etienne Capoue, Cristian Ceballos, Nacer Chadli, Vlad Chiriches, Moussa Dembele, Christian Eriksen, Federico Fazio, Brad Friedel, Younes Kaboul, Erik Lamela, Hugo Lloris, Paulinho, Roberto Soldado, Benjamin Stambouli, Jan Vertonghen and Michel Vorm.

Under the new rules, four of the above players would have to be taken out of the squad.

ARSENAL – At least four changes needed

Arsenal currently have 14 players in their squad classed as non-home grown:

Mikel Arteta, Santi Cazorla, Mathieu Debuchy, Abou Diaby, Mathieu Flamini, Gabriel, Olivier Giroud, Laurent Koscielny, Per Mertesacker, Nacho Monreal, David Ospina, Mesut Ozil, Tomas Rosicky and Alexis Sanchez.

Furthermore, Wojciech Szczęsny, Francis Coquelin and Damian Martinez would no longer be classed as home grown under the new rules.

That means Arsene Wenger would need to chop four players from that list to meet the limit of 13 non-home grown players.

CHELSEA – At least three changes needed

Premier League leaders Chelsea have 15 players in their current squad classed as non-home grown:

Cesar Azpilicueta, Petr Cech, Diego Costa, Thibaut Courtois, Juan Cuadrado, Didier Drogba, Eden Hazard, Branislav Ivanovic, Filipe Luis, Nemanja Matic, John Obi Mikel, Oscar, Ramires, Loic Remy and Willian.

Furthermore Cesc Fabregas would no longer be classed as a home-grown player under the new rules.

That means Jose Mourinho would need to axe three of the overseas stars listed above if the rules were in place today.

NEWCASTLE – At least three changes needed

Newcastle United are the fifth club that would be affected as things stand today. They currently have 15 non-home grown players on their 25-man squad list:

Mehdi Abeid, Vurnon Anita, Remy Cabella, Papiss Cisse, Fabricio Coloccini, Siem De Jong, Facundo Ferreyra, Yoan Gouffran, Jonas Gutierrez, Massadio Haidara, Daryl Janmaat, Gabriel Obertan, Emmanuel Riviere, Moussa Sissoko and Cheik Tiote.

In addition, goalkeeper Tim Krul would no longer be classed as a home-grown player.

That means Newcastle would need to trim at least three overseas players from their squad.

Premier League sources have told Sky Sports News HQ that there will be resistance to these proposals from top-flight clubs. FA Chairman Dyke is set to meet with clubs on Thursday.

Catch live action across 6 sports channels exclusively with Sky Sports - Upgrade in minutes

Agreed Chicog. It would however put a tremendous premium on any half decent Brit playing Defensive/Holding midfield. Coquelin has played well, but we need more than one of him and preferably a proven star. I'm not aware of any of those who are Brits and detachable. I guess if Francis continues to play so well for the season we could risk coralling Jack the Lad into the role.

Agreed Chicog. It would however put a tremendous premium on any half decent Brit playing Defensive/Holding midfield. Coquelin has played well, but we need more than one of him and preferably a proven star. I'm not aware of any of those who are Brits and detachable. I guess if Francis continues to play so well for the season we could risk coralling Jack the Lad into the role.

If Le Coq keeps it up, it leaves Jack to roam around snapping at peoples ankles in front of him, which is always a useful option to have.

Assume he doesn't get out of breath that is.

The Premier League and the FA are enemies -- aiming at totally different, and incompatible goals. They're pulling in different directions.

The Premier League is an enormous money circus (what was the last TV deal, $5bn?), while the FA is charged with the unenviable task of creating a viable England team and supporting grassroots football.

What has the Premier League got to do with England? -- except that the games are all held there (even that's up for grabs) and for some reason, local fans keep turning up to see teams which have zero connection to their areas.

Anything that's good for England is bad for the Premier League, and vice versa.

Let them all go and play in Qatar or somewhere and FX the crowd noises. The England team will be drawn from players in the Championship instead, there's plenty there to be able to qualify for the big tournaments, which is all England can do anyway, and they probably have the advantage of actually wanting to turn out for their national side.

I have zero interest in English national football since the FA now kow tow to all the players - their true cash cows - and no manager has the level of authority required to do the job, i.e. sack players for squealing to the media, expecting to be picked because of their names, etc.

When teams like Burnley & Hull have squads that are all bought in and no youth team graduates between them, there is something wrong with the game. Take non-EU players out of the game and Championship players will get more expensive, but money will trickle down to the lower leagues.

Prem money men more concerned than Man Dhabi I think.

Man Dhabi will be cute enough to buy a European feeder club next!

Don't jump on the Chicog bandwagon Santi, I expected better from you biggrin.png

As it says in the report. City could be affected by 6 players and Arsenal 4. So we're not far apart.

Don't jump on the Chicog bandwagon Santi, I expected better from you biggrin.png

As it says in the report. City could be affected by 6 players and Arsenal 4. So we're not far apart.

Yeah but if we lose the four I identified, we won't have to go and spend 100m on some new ones.

biggrin.png

Yeah but if we lose the four I identified, we won't have to go and spend 100m on some new ones.

biggrin.png

If you had to change them for 4 mediocre English players it would still probably cost 100m. English players are way over priced

biggrin.png

If you had to change them for 4 mediocre English players it would still probably cost 100m. English players are way over priced

Plenty in our reserves knocking on the door.

We'd be OK providing it's a level playing field.

How many players have you got in the England U21s and Youth teams MrBo?