Spanish tourist killed in fall from waterfall

Thaivisa News

Chiang Mai:- A Spanish tourist was fatally injured when he fell from a popular waterfall in Chiang Mai Thursday, police said.

Pol Capt Natthawat Khuenkaew, an officer on duty of Chang Phuek police station in Chiang Mai, said rescuers could not reach Carlos Gabriel, 28, in time to save him .

Natthawat said Gabriel slipped and fell from the third platform of the Monthathan Waterfall in Doi Inthanon National Park while he was stepping on the edge to take photos of the falling water. Park officials said several accidents have happened at the spot.

Natthawat said he and rescuers rushed to the scene with ropes and rock climbing gears as well as a rescue stretcher.

The waterfall is about one kilometer deep in a forest and is part of a high cliff. The part of the cliff is made of sharp and complicated layers of rock, making it hard for rescuers to climb to the spot where Gabriel was trapped.

Natthawat said when rescuers reached him, Gabriel had already died of severe injuries. The rescuers took more than an hour to bring his body down.

His girlfriend told police that the two visited the waterfall and climbed to the third platform. Then, Gabriel stepped to the edge to try to have a good view of the waterfall and take its photos.

However, the rock was slippery so he fell down and was washed downstream until he was trapped on the second platform of the waterfall. The girlfriend then called for help from park officials.

His body was sent for an autopsy at the Maharaj Chiang Mai Hospital.

Natthawat said Gabriel slipped and fell from the third platform of the Monthathan Waterfall in Doi Inthanon National Park

It would take the police from Chang Puek nick about 2 hours plus to get to Dio Inthanon and Montatathan waterfall in half way up Doi Suthep!!

As usual, bang on reportingwink.png

• Like 2

On the same day, I took my wife and her friend to Mae Yah waterfalls. My wife's friend (Isaan girls) went to wade up to the falls (we were at the bottom), and posed for pictures. She started to climb, and I was very upset...yelling at her to get down. That was pretty close to being the second waterfall tradgedy of the day. When we got home, I showed her the news article, and she went white. (Isaan Girl).

My heart goes out to the girlfriend of the spanish man. He took a huge risk...for a photo.

I know someone who died in a similar fall at the same spot a few years ago. The park officials did a really good job handling the incident and with the family when they came. The head of the park himself came along and hiked up to the falls, about an hour up from the parking lot. I was along to translate. So, yes, it can be a dangerous place, but actually there are warning signs posted, and tourists have to use some common sense.

Common sense.........the least common of the senses Puwa.

• Like 1

Park officials said several accidents have happened at the spot.

But of course they have, and nothing has been done to prevent future ones.

Nice job, park officials.

Nice job, armchair Thaivisa ranter.

Hello: It's a national park. A waterfall. There are clearly marked paths. If tourists go climbing and reaching to get a good selfie en then fall down then there should have been a park official there the whole time to old his hand, that's what you're saying right?

Right.

Let's all have padded walls to every bit of nature to prevent this.

It's sad when it happens, and my thoughts are with his family and friends. But it does happen in the outdoors. Rest in peace. sad.png

Lets not follow countries like Australia, where by now you would have to wear a yellow life jacket, special boots, a harness and then get a licence to go there and have the track boarded up with yellow and black signs saying Dangerous 200 foot sheer drop. Beware of falling Koalas!

Koalas don't fall. They pounce. Drop bears pretend to fall, but really they are pouncing too..

• Like 1

On koh samui we also went to a waterfall to swim. When we arrived the water was very shallow so me and my wife climbed the hill along the very crappy steps. There was deep water between some huge boulders so i decided to swim in it. When i climbed out of the water by grabbing a rope which hung there for this purpose i slipped off that boulder, fell deep and broke my wrist. I was still lucky though.

I had to walk the same crappy path down without being able to hold myself at the tree's and the ground was very slippery. I was oh so happy when we were down again.

Thai waterfalls (and most other attractions) are very dangerous. Be very carefull and if you don't feel confident then don't do it.

• Like 1

On the same day, I took my wife and her friend to Mae Yah waterfalls. My wife's friend (Isaan girls) went to wade up to the falls (we were at the bottom), and posed for pictures. She started to climb, and I was very upset...yelling at her to get down. That was pretty close to being the second waterfall tradgedy of the day. When we got home, I showed her the news article, and she went white. (Isaan Girl).

My heart goes out to the girlfriend of the spanish man. He took a huge risk...for a photo.

"And she went white" could you maybe bottle it and sell it

• Like 1

Hello: It's a national park. A waterfall. There are clearly marked paths. If tourists go climbing and reaching to get a good selfie en then fall down then there should have been a park official there the whole time to old his hand, that's what you're saying right?

Right.

It's sad when it happens, and my thoughts are with his family and friends. But it does happen in the outdoors. Rest in peace. sad.png

Rant? I don't think so, I'm calmer than mud.

And don't put words in my mouth; I don't think a park official should have been "holding his hand," Mr. Melodramatic.

What I do think is since there have been "several" accidents at this particular spot perhaps roping it off or a guard rail, might have been in order.

• Like 1

Right.

And don't put words in my mouth; I don't think a park official should have been "holding his hand," Mr. Melodramatic.

What I do think is since there have been "several" accidents at this particular spot perhaps roping it off or a guard rail, might have been in order.

It appears that you aren't familiar with the situation at all.

At the top there is indeed a platform with a strong wooden guard rail. No one viewing the waterfall from above can go down without climbing over the guard rail and being quite aware that they were doing something wrong.

To the left of the platform the area is roped off and there is a sign that says "Danger, please stay off".

To the right of the platform it is also roped off, and there is a sign that says "Danger No Entry".

I didn't see the man fall. But from where he ended up, I don't think he could have fallen from that top area. I think he must have climbed down to the top of the next tier, and that drop is the one he fell from. That tier is impossible to reach from the trail - you have to go through the forest to get to it. Even so, you can see from a distance that the top of that tier is roped off and a sign saying "No Entry" is hanging from it.

From a public safety standpoint, I believe the park has done all the preventative work they can do. The only additional measure I can imagine is a sign just straight up saying, "This many people have died here. Don't do it."

• Like 1

Right.

At the top there is indeed a platform with a strong wooden guard rail. No one viewing the waterfall from above can go down without climbing over the guard rail and being quite aware that they were doing something wrong.

To the left of the platform the area is roped off and there is a sign that says "Danger, please stay off".

To the right of the platform it is also roped off, and there is a sign that says "Danger No Entry".

I didn't see the man fall. But from where he ended up, I don't think he could have fallen from that top area. I think he must have climbed down to the top of the next tier, and that drop is the one he fell from. That tier is impossible to reach from the trail - you have to go through the forest to get to it. Even so, you can see from a distance that the top of that tier is roped off and a sign saying "No Entry" is hanging from it.

From a public safety standpoint, I believe the park has done all the preventative work they can do. The only additional measure I can imagine is a sign just straight up saying, "This many people have died here. Don't do it."

Oh, I am all too familiar with "the situation," even without having been there. I have attended a number of accident scenes in Thailand, and the rescue efforts are typically poorly executed. On one occasion, the "rescuers" killed the victim by improperly lifting him.

I've also been to many national parks and a number of waterfalls in Thailand, and I have never seen any serious means of protecting visitors from dangers.

As for my unfamiliarity with this specific situation, why would I be familiar? The report is vague, and even your own earlier post, based on your first-hand observations, failed to mention anything about barriers and signs, and focused solely on the poor attitude and general incompetence of the "rescuers."

So, thank you for your update. Now I am familiar with the situation.

Oh, I am all too familiar with "the situation," even without having been there. I have attended a number of accident scenes in Thailand, and the rescue efforts are typically poorly executed. On one occasion, the "rescuers" killed the victim by improperly lifting him.

I've also been to many national parks and a number of waterfalls in Thailand, and I have never seen any serious means of protecting visitors from dangers.

As for my unfamiliarity with this specific situation, why would I be familiar? The report is vague, and even your own earlier post, based on your first-hand observations, failed to mention anything about barriers and signs, and focused solely on the poor attitude and general incompetence of the "rescuers."

So, thank you for your update. Now I am familiar with the situation.

Right. You say "nothing has been done to prevent future ones" and you think that "roping it off or a guard rail, might have been in order". And you are ``all too familiar with "the situation"''.

Then somebody, in a rather intelligent and polite way, corrects you on both accounts by informing you, who is already `all too familiar with "the situation"'', that measures have been taken to prevent it from happening; they have both roped the area off, and installed a strong wooden guard rail, as well as put up signs.

Instead of eating humble pie, you reply to the information and corrections in a condescending manner. Would your parents be proud? Would anyone?