Cigarette and liquor prices to go up now

Lite Beer

I gave up smoking and only drink on weekends now, but I think the tax should be the same as in Australia. $20 for a packet of smokes and $20 for a 6 pack of beer.

Then the tax money can go back into subsidizing the medical bills of the people with lung cancer and sclerosis of the liver.

Every government in the world LOVES sin taxes. A great way to line their pockets

with new taxes, and in front of a microphone they can say with a straight face that they

are really helping out the health of the population..... Well the mias noi will be happy

anyway, I have a hard time believing all the income generated from this is going

into sports programs.

• Like 1

Guess I may have to resort to drinking local Thai wines, imported aussie wines are already 8 times the price back home and this is going to make them more expensive. Yes I know the import tax is to protect the local vineyards and wine industry.

Could be worse, can you imagain paying UK prices??? NOPE !!!

Can you imagine paying German beer prices for a small bottle of beer?

A small bottle of whitebeer (Erdinger wheiss or Paulaner) costs 20 baht in the bottleshops. Villa market asks 150-160 for that. Do you think many Germans will still come to Thailand now, knowing they are big drinkers.

• Like 1

Tobacco companies must love this: Their TAX is increased by 2% (probably about 20 - 40 satang per packet) and they increase their prices hy 2 Baht rolleyes.gif

My ciggies are 65b per packet so 2% would infact be 1.3b.

Where do I buy ciggies so that the 2% = 20 to 40 satang ?

Tobacco companies must love this: Their TAX is increased by 2% (probably about 20 - 40 satang per packet) and they increase their prices hy 2 Baht rolleyes.gif

My ciggies are 65b per packet so 2% would infact be 1.3b.

Where do I buy ciggies so that the 2% = 20 to 40 satang ?

Cigarette companies don't pay tax based on a POS price. You're telling me they pay 65 baht tax per packet. Read the OP again :rolleyes:

I gave up smoking and only drink on weekends now, but I think the tax should be the same as in Australia. $20 for a packet of smokes and $20 for a 6 pack of beer.

Then the tax money can go back into subsidizing the medical bills of the people with lung cancer and sclerosis of the liver.

You seriously think that happens in Australia? The tax on cigarettes goes straight into consolidated receipts and a FRACTION of it is spent on smoking related diseases. The duplicity of the govt ( all political parties) is well understood....they make feel good statements about a smoke free society but are HOOKED on the revenue from tobacco taxes.

I was quite surprised to see health warnings on the packs of Thai rolling tobacco recently.

But it still only cost 5 baht a pack.

A bit like the extremely cheap Lao Khao.

Why are these products so cheap?

Because they are absolute rubbish? Let's be honest, Lao Khao is only one step up from meths - nothing but rotgut.

A packet of rolling tobacco may still be 5 Baht, but there is considerably less inside than there used to be.

I'm surprised how many people here applaud to burglary as long as the burglar promises to do "something good" with the loot. They even come up with their own "good ideas" on how to redistribute the amassed goods.

I for my part never support aggressen / initiation of physical violence; Even if the perpetrators have guns, plastic badges and wear funny costumes.

TTM managing director said Daonoi Suthinipapant said the Sports Act requires all producers and distributors of tobaccos and alcoholic beverages to contribute to the ‘national sports development’ fund the amount equivalent to 2 percent of excise tax they pay.

Meanwhile, the government is eyeing to increase excise tax on tobaccos and alcoholic beverages by 2 percent, which is also expected to slightly increase cigarettes and boost prices.

So, this adds up to a 4% tax increase. Sure glad the govt is continuing to "Return the Happiness" to the tax coffers the people. Higher prices always make me happier. Guess the inheritance tax and land/building tax proposals are not going to raise as much tax money as soon and as much as hope....no problem, we'll just up the excise tax on items considered sin items by some...they pretty much do it yearly.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

So, the price of tobacco, alcohol, electricity and water is going up. And the general is thinking about staying in power for 30 years. If this gets a lot of the insufferable Thai bashers to leave the country, I'll happily support each and every measure.

Fair enough, but what about the poor Thais that don't have the option of leaving and are enduring a cost of living crisis. Do you care nothing for them?

They can grow their own tobacco and brew their own liqor

They haven't found a way to tax sex yet? That would be a good earner.

I smoke and I drink........I know I have all the healthy habits.

But I applaud the increase of price for both cigarettes and drinks.

In fact I would say that's not enough.

People are dying every day from those 2 killers.

People are dying every day from those 2 killers.

Yeah, but more often than not they hit the wrong kind

Fair enough!!

Right place to tax people!clap2.gif

(and yes, I do smoke)

I don't smoke and think (Thai) smokers pay enough tax already. Funny old world...

Certainly is. Do you campaign against tobacco tax in your home country to?

Back in 1995 i was smoking 20 a day and yet again the British Government put up tax on fags. Enough; i cried, and threw my packet in the bin and have not paid a single penny to anyone's Government in tobacco tax since. It's a personal choice what people do with their money.....and health.

"Price of foreign coloured brandy will rise by between 5.23 and 8.49 baht per bottle"

Is this REALLY a crippling price hike?

I dont expect ANY answers to this, anyway!

cheesy.gif

Edit

I doubt the poor farmers drink this.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Last night I bought a few bottles of Leo....the shopkeeper told me that today, Sunday, she would be raising her price to 70 baht from 65.

Actually in Australia a pack of cigs will set you back $26.50 and a six pack of domestic beer $17.50

Fair enough!!

Right place to tax people!clap2.gif

(and yes, I do smoke)

I don't smoke and think (Thai) smokers pay enough tax already. Funny old world...

Certainly is. Do you campaign against tobacco tax in your home country to?

Back in 1995 i was smoking 20 a day and yet again the British Government put up tax on fags. Enough; i cried, and threw my packet in the bin and have not paid a single penny to anyone's Government in tobacco tax since. It's a personal choice what people do with their money.....and health.

if everyone did the same then the government will lose billions and will have to start taxing health foods heavily.

... Returning happiness to the people by making their few pleasures prohibitively expensive. Yet another smart move by the junta.

Thats not the Junta.....Thats the idiot do gooders, pressuring the system to introduce their agenda.....

&lt;deleted&gt; like these ruined the countries we left....we dont need them here as well ....well not yet anyway, give me 5 more years and do what they like.....

• Like 1

Actually in Australia a pack of cigs will set you back $26.50 and a six pack of domestic beer $17.50

There'll be a few of those (six packs) drunk tonight as the aussies celebrate their cricket world cup victory.

• Like 1