Yingluck dismisses Prayut’s allegations of doing nothing on human trafficking

Lite Beer

Yingluck is pretty much the same as Prayut with respect to trafficking....both have done nothing....but Prayut was on office when the downgrade came in, he should have done something other than talk about coordination and setting up committees.....jail some 'influential' people and police that are doing the trafficking and stop trying to move the issue to fishing illegally in other waters.

Does she even understand what is written for her? So they made reports and had interest in it. So what! You can not fight this with paper and reports. Unfortunately I can not recall any news about human trafficking and I know for sure many karaoke and massage parlors that had Laotian women working there as well as some own by gov and police hotshots. More lip service from YL to make herself be seen in a better light. Don't get me wrong though. It is not easy to end this and Mr. P may only be scratching his nose. But this is the first time in many years I have read news about arrests and police transfers or convictions and even in this small city raids are now being done regularly on massage parlors and karaoke bars.

Human trafficking in the fishing industry has always been run by the Thai navy. The truce between the military and Yingluck's government from its election in 2011 up until late 2013 was based on a quid pro quo of you leave me alone (don't interfere with or money making ventures) and I'll leave you alone (there will be no coups) - this is why there was no progress on stamping out the slave trade under Yingluck's watch. Military corruption is and has always been the cause of Thailand's miseries.

The General's current interest in this issue is due only to the recent downgrading of Thailand on this issue by the US

Downgraded? I guess I missed that

2014-06-21

"Kingdom may face sanctions after downgrade; Malaysia also 'shamed'

Thailand was yesterday downgraded to the lowest level in the US State Department's annual Trafficking in Persons (TIP) report - a move that could trigger sanctions by the United States.

After years of warnings, the US named and shamed Thailand, Malaysia and Venezuela, dumping them at the bottom of a list of countries accused of failing to tackle modern-day slavery, AFP reported from Washington."

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Thailand-downgraded-to-be-among-worst-trafficking--30236781.html

you're posting links to contradict yourself? yes downgraded to the lowest (worst) level a month after the coup, thus prayuths interest in this issue. sanctions from the us would destroy the thai economy 10 times quicker than the generals own incompetence is doing right now

You went of the air pretty quick, this must be a new record. But I guess you be back soon.

It is easy to blame the past government, but the problem has been in high gear for at least the past 10 years as acknowledged by General P, so that brings the former Abhisit government and the military regime that preceded it into the picture. How about being fair and refraining from using this as an opportunity to score points? As the former PM pointed out , the major factor was corruption in the government and she's right. The major trafficking delivery points have always been to the south. Whether it was Rohingya or the fishing fleets. Try as the former government did it couldn't get the Royal Thai Navy to act. It couldn't make a dent in the endemic and deeply routed corruption in the south particularly in the Suthep stronghold of Nahkon Si Thammarat-Surat Thani-Phuket. Abhisit was handcuffed for political reasons because he needed the south's support and the former military regime didn't care. The problem can't be effectively dealt with until their is a relentless and severe attack on the corruption in the south.

We keep hearing the stories about evil Bangkok, or the corrupt North, but the reality is that it is the south where the corruption is at its worst. Instead of placing Issan under martial law, apply it to Phuket and conduct the same types of house to house searches. I can guarantee more illegal weapons, illegal workers, yaba and other illegal activities would be uncovered than what we hear about elsewhere.

Which families government has been in power the longest in the past 10 years?

Who is the current government now? Grew a pair and deal with the problem and stop the blame game.

It is easy to blame the past government, but the problem has been in high gear for at least the past 10 years as acknowledged by General P, so that brings the former Abhisit government and the military regime that preceded it into the picture. How about being fair and refraining from using this as an opportunity to score points? As the former PM pointed out , the major factor was corruption in the government and she's right. The major trafficking delivery points have always been to the south. Whether it was Rohingya or the fishing fleets. Try as the former government did it couldn't get the Royal Thai Navy to act. It couldn't make a dent in the endemic and deeply routed corruption in the south particularly in the Suthep stronghold of Nahkon Si Thammarat-Surat Thani-Phuket. Abhisit was handcuffed for political reasons because he needed the south's support and the former military regime didn't care. The problem can't be effectively dealt with until their is a relentless and severe attack on the corruption in the south.

We keep hearing the stories about evil Bangkok, or the corrupt North, but the reality is that it is the south where the corruption is at its worst. Instead of placing Issan under martial law, apply it to Phuket and conduct the same types of house to house searches. I can guarantee more illegal weapons, illegal workers, yaba and other illegal activities would be uncovered than what we hear about elsewhere.

Who is the current government now? Grew a pair and deal with the problem and stop the blame game.

Absolutely. Forget about democracy and human rights and rule of law, let the junta step in and down harshly.

Mind you, the moment they do, the same posters who complain about inactivity will start complaining about ... ... ...

"Who was the head military man when the military were involved in the trafficking and have charged foreign journalists with defamation for reporting on the Thai military actions."

Well yingluck was the defense minister, she was in charge.

Cute. You know damn well that no civilian defense authority has ever had any control over the military. The military has proclaimed multiple times that it does not answer to civilian governments.

Want to try smearing the former PM again?

Stop pretending GK. Yingluck was the PM and Defense Minister. The DSI and Police were under her (her brother's) control. She could, and should have done far more.

But to easy too luck the other way, especially when you've got both hands firmly in other very nice cookie jars at the time.

He isn't smearing the disgraced former PM/DM. She managed that perfectly well herself by doing nothing other than what her brother instructed which was focused on his amnesty whitewash, enriching the family further, and protecting the family from future criminal accountability.

Just check - how many times did she attend parliament, how many defense meetings did she chair, how many anti-trafficking meeting did she chair? How many trips did she make to the South in either or both capacities?

Yingluck spent most of her time onboard aircraft.

• Like 2

Absolutely. Forget about democracy and human rights and rule of law, let the junta step in and down harshly.

Mind you, the moment they do, the same posters who complain about inactivity will start complaining about ... ... ...

Rubi, you really think the junta will ever deal with this however harshly or extrajudicially. Trafficking has been around forever and the reason they are around is that they're protected by the same people who enforce the law and that include the military. Past governments only pay lip service and so will this current government. It's a sad state of reality.

As the former PM pointed out , the major factor was corruption in the government and she's right.

&

Try as the former government did it couldn't get the Royal Thai Navy to act.

which reminds me of a tidbit I read some time ago... Apparently the declared, average wealth of an Admiral is significantly higher than that of a General. Which is saying something... coffee1.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Now back to the topic, Ms. Yingluck's government was really concerned, like with corruption they paid special attention and (barely) managed to stay in the same Tier-2 group. Now please excuse me, I'm going to yahoo a bit. Thanks to Ms. Yingluck's fascination with photo-ops and widely broadcasted or published statements, I have no doubt I can find a lot on how much wonderful 'work' the previous government did and how truly they understand the need and value of 'perception'.

PS I assume the "can guarantee" is a manner of speech. For the moment I'm willing to assume you are not (so deeply) involved as to know up to the "can guarantee" level.

Instead of offering up your smug snotty tangent, I remind you that the former government was not alone in being sabotaged and intimidated when the Rohingya issue was front and centre. It was the Royal Thai Navy that has relentlessly pursued the two reporters on Phuket for their reprinting of the key details of a Reuters news story. Wasn't it I the Royal Thai Navy that did not fully carry out PM Abhisit's instructions and who embarrassed him with the allegations of towing refugees out to sea?

It is a cop out to blame the former government for this mess. The local power structure in the south is so strong and so corrupt that it functions as a state within a state, much as the drug cartels operated as a defacto state until the acting government of the time crushed. The same needs to be done now. The General is right to hold the fishing fleet operators responsible.

If you are so keen on blaming the former PM for this, please explain how the transport mob, and the jet ski thugs still run amok pin Phuket. Please explain to me why the same people implicated in past land encroachments are still at it and are walking free. A mangrove reforestation undertaken by concerned locals was just ripped up, and all their hard work as volunteers squandered by a land developer who decided he "owned" the land. No action has been taken. Not one illegal land developer has faced charges. The land titles office in Phuket wouldn't even co-operate with the central government when there was an investigation undertaken.

Please explain to me why the same small group of powerful wealthy families who were aligned with the Suthep faction of the Democrat party remain untouched. A resort owner who recently had her illegal road through an important drainage area removed. threatened the environmental department officials with retribution as she had important government friends in Bangkok. She is rebuilding her road. PM Yingluck isn't there to blame, so who are her important friends? Who are these powerful allies in Bangkok who have protected the corrupt Phuket cabal and who allowed the human trafficking to flourish, who protected the theft of protected lands and who have protected the criminal monopolies on Phuket?

"It is a cop out to blame the former government for this mess."

Does she even understand what is written for her? So they made reports and had interest in it. So what! You can not fight this with paper and reports. Unfortunately I can not recall any news about human trafficking and I know for sure many karaoke and massage parlors that had Laotian women working there as well as some own by gov and police hotshots. More lip service from YL to make herself be seen in a better light. Don't get me wrong though. It is not easy to end this and Mr. P may only be scratching his nose. But this is the first time in many years I have read news about arrests and police transfers or convictions and even in this small city raids are now being done regularly on massage parlors and karaoke bars.

But is there any merit to the reports that the military were involved in some trafficking, which made it highly unlikely that anybody other than the military could effect any changes? If so, how ludicrous for a military man to cast aspersions on any prime minister, and the obvious bias and selective partisanship conveniently ignores the Abhisit administration's lack of action.

• Like 1

"Who was the head military man when the military were involved in the trafficking and have charged foreign journalists with defamation for reporting on the Thai military actions."

Well yingluck was the defense minister, she was in charge.

Cute. You know damn well that no civilian defense authority has ever had any control over the military. The military has proclaimed multiple times that it does not answer to civilian governments.

Want to try smearing the former PM again?

Stop pretending GK. Yingluck was the PM and Defense Minister. The DSI and Police were under her (her brother's) control. She could, and should have done far more.

But to easy too luck the other way, especially when you've got both hands firmly in other very nice cookie jars at the time.

He isn't smearing the disgraced former PM/DM. She managed that perfectly well herself by doing nothing other than what her brother instructed which was focused on his amnesty whitewash, enriching the family further, and protecting the family from future criminal accountability.

Just check - how many times did she attend parliament, how many defense meetings did she chair, how many anti-trafficking meeting did she chair? How many trips did she make to the South in either or both capacities?

You want to blame the former PM for all the ills of corruption, fine.

Now explain why the DSI and all manner of police and investigation agencies have never arrested or charged anyone implicated in the southern land encroachments. Give me one intelligent explanation. The army has had absolute control and yet the land encroachment continues. The theft of public assets continues. The human trafficking continues. The corruption continues. Yingluck is gone and has been out of the picture for some time. Where are the arrests, the charges, the justice in respect to the ongoing corruption? How is it the Marine Office 5 continues to flout the law that says no commercial business on public beaches?

It's easier to blame the former PM then to ask why one of the largest commercial interests in Thailand, the owner of resorts and golf courses, and for profit airports is not accountable to any civilian government.

• Like 1

Statement by g'kid: "The army needs to take control of Phuket and arrest any and all officials who refuse to clean up their behaviour.

So now you openly advocate military intervention?

Where's chooka?

Placed in the context of the current martial law, my position is that the North is unfairly targeted if the intent is to attack corruption and to clean up the country. The precedent was set for intervention during an insurrection. We saw it with the drug cartels in the north and it is ongoing in the deep south.

I'd advocate carpet bombing with napalm on Phuket and Surat Thani along with Koh Samui if it would clean the place up once and for all.

I haven't read the OP or all the posts. But I can say: NO THAI ADMINISTRATION IS DOING ANYTHING ON THE ENVIRONMENT. They're as bad as Thai corporations. Once in awhile, they make a little mention of something which sounds environmental, but no Thai person in management has a clue about real environmentalism.

• Like 2

As the former PM pointed out , the major factor was corruption in the government and she's right.

&

Try as the former government did it couldn't get the Royal Thai Navy to act.

which reminds me of a tidbit I read some time ago... Apparently the declared, average wealth of an Admiral is significantly higher than that of a General. Which is saying something... coffee1.gif

Which reminds me you didn't say much here, just some suggestion it would seem, based on the musings of another poster.

Anyway, you might be right, about the wealth of Admirals. Think you can still find the article you read such in? It may further my education as well wai.gif

that the super troll doesn't understand what I post is not a surprise

if you want to keep up with events in Thailand, mister super troll, you have to read what cannot be posted here.

Every Thai PM and every Thai government/Junta of the past have DONE NOTHING, impeach/arrest the lot including the current one as it was in control previously before, on more than one occasion coffee1.gif or shut the flapping unthinking mouths please.

Edited by englishoak

Yingluck is pretty much the same as Prayut with respect to trafficking....both have done nothing....but Prayut was on office when the downgrade came in, he should have done something other than talk about coordination and setting up committees.....jail some 'influential' people and police that are doing the trafficking and stop trying to move the issue to fishing illegally in other waters.

Troll post or willfully ignorant. Difficult to tell.

• Like 1