English Language Thai Newspapers ...

Gonzo the Face

Interesting to read on our local TV Form about a train wreck on one of the CM to Bkk trains last night.

It is on TV as with credits to an Australian News paper, but not a word from either the Nation, or the Bangkok Post. Especially in their "Breaking News Sections. NOT A WORD" Have to give it some thought boys, Might have been an assassination attempt.

The lead car plunged into the river and of course the driver is missing. In this case I hope being missing means just another runner, like a couple years ago, and not a fatality .

Others injured.

I hope no one from CM had friends or loved ones on that train and thoughts will be those that were injured.

It is strange. :o

As of 08:20, still nothing on either Nation/Bangkok Post breaking news sites.

Reported here on thaivisa at:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...st&p=874780

I would say this is an unusual occurence as normally, for Thai news, those sites are pretty quick, with the Nation normally the quicker of the two.

It's not without precedence that they are beaten to the punch, but I would characterize it as rare.

mcot had it on their thai news website this morning , the report was timed at 6.40am.

hmm...not reported yet on their English-language website:

http://etna.mcot.net/

Also, nothing on National News Bureau's English-language website (ThaiNews):

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/index.php

Edited by sriracha john

there is rarely any similarity between the thai news site and the english site.

it's a pity that some enterprising web wizard with good translating skills doesnt offer translations of the thai press.

i dont claim to be an avid reader of them , after 5 minutes of staring at tiny thai script my eyes shutdown , but sometimes my thai teacher will have me read and translate from a newspaper.

articles on crime and and the shenanigans of the police make for good reading , as does the thai slant on events abroad , e.g.american obesity and the british royal family. falangs are kind of admired and despised in equal amounts.

there is rarely any similarity between the thai news site and the english site.

it's a pity that some enterprising web wizard with good translating skills doesnt offer translations of the thai press.

i dont claim to be an avid reader of them , after 5 minutes of staring at tiny thai script my eyes shutdown , but sometimes my thai teacher will have me read and translate from a newspaper.

articles on crime and and the shenanigans of the police make for good reading , as does the thai slant on events abroad , e.g.american obesity and the british royal family. falangs are kind of admired and despised in equal amounts.

Tx just out of curiosity, one may assume your Thai Teacher to be of above average intell & educat. what does he/she feel about the car bomb thing w/ Thaksin and would they even have heard of the Iran Pres. challenging Bush to an unedited debate. Does the average Thai even care about things like this ??

Gonzo

the teacher i have now graduated from chula in english lit and english history , she has an avid interest in thai and european politics , she despises tony blair with a vengeance but she loved thatcher , and she always asks me what i think of the latest political news here. i dont follow thai politics very much , so most of my views are mentally cut and pasted from what i read on this forum.

she is not a big fan of thaksin and thinks although he may not have known about the bomb plot , those close to him may have had a hand in it. the thai news dailies do have extensive coverage of foriegn events , mostly cut and pasted from reuters with little comment or opinion. the war in lebanon was well covered , probably because there are a lot of thais working in israel.

the teachers i had previously (at a language school) were much younger ramkamhaeng u. grads and gave fewer of their own opinions about politics or news , and were less likely to criticize their country , or agree with my criticisms!

single girls in bangkok in their 20's have other things on their mind.