Pattaya: Hotel discounts for Thais planned

webfact

Pattaya: Hotel discounts for Thais planned

BANGKOK, 1 April 2015 (NNT) - Tourism operators in Pattaya plan to offer discounts of up to 50% on hotel rooms between April and October this year to alleviate the dropping tourist numbers from Europe.

Thai Hotels Association Eastern Region chief Sanphet Suphabuansathien said travellers from Europe, including Russia, had declined by approximately 30%.

Mr Sanphet said the move to offer substantial discounts will be for Thai people only since many local tourists planned to travel to foreign countries or other parts of Thailand during the Songkran holidays.

He said the association hoped that this move will raise the number of tourists visiting Pattaya by 2 to 5% year-on-year.

He added that roadshows will be held in cities in China, Indonesia and Singapore in order to attract more Asian travellers to Pattaya.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-04-01 footer_n.gif

I thought international tourists number had recovered and we're actually up 12% on this time last year. There was also reports that martial law was encouraging tourists to flock to Thailand.

• Like 1

there's that "for thai people only" bit. how long do us foreigners have to put up with this racist, apartheid double pricing bullshit?

whats next? ferang at the back of the bus only..

I am sure farangs haven't been forgotten the 50% discount to Thais will probably be added to the price farangs currently pay to balance the sheets.
  • Like 1

there's that "for thai people only" bit. how long do us foreigners have to put up with this racist, apartheid double pricing bullshit?

It works both ways, I have had instances where family travelling from Europe can get a Hotel or even flight deal that I cant, I have been told the deals are for foreign tourists only, not for internal market.

Also ask the Florida residents how much they pay for Disney a darn sight less than tourists, don't hear anyone accusing Disney of being racist. As a final resort get you Thai GF/BF/partner to book.

• Like 2

You're not quite right with your statement. It means the end of double pricing, now you've got a discount for locals.

Fatfather

You're not quite right with your statement. It means the end of double pricing, now you've got a discount for locals.

Fatfather

yeah sorry i'm just a bit cranky after i got a haircut yesterday and noticed that i had to pay double, SORRY, that thais get a 50% discount just before i had to pay. owner wasnt too pleased when i pointed out i could in fact read the thai language pricelist

What a stupid idea.

So They initially identify a problem of dropping tourist numbers from Europe and rather than address that problem by making greedy Thailand cheaper for foreign tourists - they completely miss the ball and offer cheaper hotel prices for Thais only - That is of course Thai logic and stupidity at its best - they will reap what they sow

Fatfather

yeah sorry i'm just a bit cranky after i got a haircut yesterday and noticed that i had to pay double, SORRY, that thais get a 50% discount just before i had to pay. owner wasnt too pleased when i pointed out i could in fact read the thai language pricelist

... roger that!

When they tried to ripp me off 250.- or even 300.-THB for a simple 2.6 minute clean razor-cut back on Samui quite several yrs ago it was in fact more expensive than even back in EU. From that day on in this is my best friend & favourite hairdresser:

post-144189-0-39885200-1427863712_thumb.

... amortized 19 times over meanwhile ... doesn't talk me an ear off either ...

• Like 1

You guys really only want to see that the Thais are ripping you off.

Problem: Empty hotels rooms because no visitors are coming from Europe.

Solution 1 Do nothing and take the hit.

Solution 2 Offer the rooms at a discount to encourage locals to use the empty rooms.

Room prices for European package deals are already highly discounted, its the flights that cost.

Stop whinging

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ok put Pattaya on list of places to avoid.

Edited by givenall

Exactly what Thailand needs - alienate foreigners and make then even less eager to come by allowing a report such as this to go around the world, announcing that foreigners must pay double the locals rate. Absolutely brilliant. Thailand STILL doesn't get it - there is something called the internet and there is social media, and this stuff goes around the world in days, if not hours. It is no longer just news to those that read the Thai newspapers.