Norwegian arrested in Phuket for visa overstay

Lite Beer

I am assuming this is sarcasm, but "scumbags who refuse to follow Thai law" would include a great many Thai government officials, not to mention Thai citizens. Treating overstays like rape or murder serves no purpose except to further run the Thai economy into a ditch. Follow the Cambodia example: grab the money and run.

This was good news, finally they catch the criminal overstayer in Phuket, good work to the immigration guys, we don't need scumbags here who refuse to follow the Thai law.

No worries, overstayers are not treated like rapists or murderers.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am assuming this is sarcasm, but "scumbags who refuse to follow Thai law" would include a great many Thai government officials, not to mention Thai citizens. Treating overstays like rape or murder serves no purpose except to further run the Thai economy into a ditch. Follow the Cambodia example: grab the money and run.

This was good news, finally they catch the criminal overstayer in Phuket, good work to the immigration guys, we don't need scumbags here who refuse to follow the Thai law.

Yeah they routinely fly in and out of Thailand unchecked.

I was at immigration this morning around 9 when I saw a foreign guy (not this one), handcuffed, being put into a black SUV - four immigration / cops got in with him.

Always sobering, even though I am legit....

Barely three weeks overstay...

Catch of the day 1zgarz5.gif

Post of the day.

What does it matter whether it is 3 weeks or 3 years? Immigration police are just doing their jobs and if they weren't you'd be among the first to complain.

Sure, but why is a 3 week overstay newsworthy, if not for propaganda purposes?

Edited by NamKangMan

• 2 weeks later...

Ever been to IDC? I am not sure how rapists or murderers are treated, but it can`t be much worse than staying at the IDC in Bangkok.

How about not seeing daylight more than 2 hours a week? And that "qualitytime" isnt even outside.

How about sleeping straight on the floor, together with 70 other people, in a room suitable for no more than 50?

The neon lights always on. Smoke thick like a wall all over. The same rubbish "food" three times a day, tasting nothing.

How about staying in such condition for years, because you have no one to bail you out?

How can it be any worse, I wonder.

• 1 month later...

The law is the law. I just got back from a visa run this morning 1am, long, hot and tired uninspiring journey but I did it. He is just lazy, you cant mistake your visa by 3 weeks...maybe 3 days

i overstayed my visa 3 years...no problem. I didn't hurt anyone. so what's the problem? 'The law is the law' is just a cliche. Some laws are just plain silly.

In my youth I used to drink and drive... no problem. I didn't hurt anyone. so what's the problem?

"The law is the law" is just a cliche. Some laws are just plain silly.

drinking and driving...hmmm. How does that even compare to overstaying a visa?