Chequebook Buddhism offers Thais stairway to heaven

webfact

Comparing this with the wealth the Vatican and other churches possess in Europe and America, it's not such a big deal.

Also comparing the life style and habits of the clergy in other religions again there is no much difference here.

All wrong.....here and there, but nobody had the guts up to now, to put an end to this.

Again selective reading by our Greek friend...............

<<But few expect the junta to make much headway against such an entrenched group.<< Quote

• Like 1

>>The Sangha -- a Sanskrit word used to describe a community of monks -- is composed of a handful of the most influential monks in the country, and they alone decide when and whether clergy should be punished for transgressions and excesses.<< Quote

Sounds a little like article 44 for monks..................whistling.gif

The people not only foolishly throw money at them, but defend them and their actions, getting downright indignant if you challenge their monks or their religion in any way.

Just as well I have my plastic Jesus to protect me against such people...

• Like 2

For 5.000 Baht I offer Buddhist heaven

6.500 Baht Muslim heaven, for the 12 virgins 1500 Baht each

10.000 Baht for roman catholic heaven (with Vatican it is a bit more expensive to bribe the right angles)

100% success rate, no complains. Full guarantee and refund if it does not work as expected.

Other religions, drop me an email.

Stairway to Heaven or a Super Slider to Hell?

Comparing this with the wealth the Vatican and other churches possess in Europe and America, it's not such a big deal.

Also comparing the life style and habits of the clergy in other religions again there is no much difference here.

All wrong.....here and there, but nobody had the guts up to now, to put an end to this.

Again selective reading by our Greek friend...............

<<But few expect the junta to make much headway against such an entrenched group.<< Quote

I'd have to agree with Costas on this one ... there is zero difference here with regards to religion and money than any other religion anywhere else in the world ...

Agree.

But my reply was to this: but nobody had the guts up to now, to put an end to this., where our Greek friend is indicating that under Mr P things have improved!!

• Like 1

For 5.000 Baht I offer Buddhist heaven

6.500 Baht Muslim heaven, for the 12 virgins 1500 Baht each

10.000 Baht for roman catholic heaven (with Vatican it is a bit more expensive to bribe the right angles)

100% success rate, no complains. Full guarantee and refund if it does not work as expected.

Other religions, drop me an email.

Stairway to Heaven or a Super Slider to Hell?

Hell I can do for half the price....supposed to be more fun there, because all the interesting people meet there.....

I was sitting outside a pub sipping a bourbon, recently, when a barefoot monk walked past. He walked past the next door shop house where there was a pair of shoes on the doorstep. He stopped, turned back, and slipped the shoes onto his feet, then carried on. Other people saw him, nobody even took a second glance.

• Like 1

People who still give money or other gifts to the monks after seeing what the monks are doing with the money is at their own will.

But FORCING children in school to give money or other gifts every week to the monks after seeing what the monks are doing with the money is CRUELTY.

On top of that, most schools make the end score depending on the amount of the gifts by the children.

• Like 1

The Thai Christian churches of the Protestant denomination offer a very different approach. I have been in a few of them and the Thai version intentionally avoids the excesses. It explains why a small but growing number of Thais are interested in the Churches which focus on non material activities and emphasize equality and spiritual aspects.

Even in the Thai version of Islam, there is an absence commercial business. No idols, no relics, no payment for indulgences.

Because Jesus himself drove traders and moneychangers from the temple accusing them of turning the temple into a den of thieves.

• Like 1

Since time in memorial and the first ever religion formations, men knew that you can atone

for your sins in many, many ways, one of the them is by using goods, chattels and money in lieu

of prayers, self beating and soul cleansing, kinda short cut.. so far it was a win win situation for

every one, the sinners rejoiced and felt pious gain, the clergy smirked and mumbled to them

selves saying, may he sin a lot and come see us soon... nothing much has changed since than,

and nothing much will change any time soon....

• Like 1

When groups are organized, with a hierarchy of leadership, corruption seems to follow thereafter.

I prefer to practice my beliefs are at home, without fanfare, tithing or false piety.

• Like 1

Yes, one way or another Christian churches sell indulgences or hint at divine grace generated by financial support that often does benefit the poor. Wealthy Muslims build impressive mosques and comply with the third pillar of Islam, zakat or compulsory charity. Jews donate to sustain synagogues and community services.

These are all very human institutions and suffer from human frailties, but if you are a believer and make as a well-intended financial sacrifice, the fact that there are less than exemplary monks, priest, imams, et al does not detract from your good intentions. Whether you think it's an act to ensure eternal salvation or that it absolves some of your sins or it just makes you feel good for helping someone else, your act is not diminished by the poor behavior of a small number of clergy. That's their problem not yours and often used as a flimsy excuse to abstain from any acts of charity (once again, the familiar farang mantra ... "it's the principle not the money")

In contrast to the increasingly empty pews and coffers of many European churches, temples remain a boom business in Thailand.

At St. Nikolaus in Pattaya, there are 5 masses on Sunday plus two on Saturday evening and I've never attended any that had empty pews. If anything, most are standing-room-only. And I know we all can recount horror stories of things done by priests and nuns, but the church in Pattaya does some great work with orphans, the disabled and the poor.

To claim that people who donate Baht 20 as act of generosity are foolish is disingenuous and usually a self-serving justification for being parsimonious. If you choose to not have faith or to not contribute to religious or charitable organizations, that's entirely up to you, but why would it bother you if someone else chooses to do so? Surely people should be allowed to do what they choose with their own money without getting everyone else's knickers in a knot.

If someone wants to buy the latest iPhone or some ludicrously expensive bling that's their choice and not something that compels me to label them as stupid no matter what I may think. If it makes them happy, up to them.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

In one corner of the temple complex sits a monk in an air-conditioned box.

"Donation means sacrifice. You sacrifice your things, sacrifice your time, sacrifice your money, sacrifice your heart," the monk, Pra Maha Noppadom, explains.

'...and receiving donation also means sacrifice. I sacrifice my time, I sacrifice my goal of getting the latest model if there is not enough money, I sacrifice my backside sitting here in an air-conditioned box." the monk continued.

Edited by klauskunkel

It came third globally, behind Myanmar and Malta, with 77 percent of the population giving money to charity.

Oh sorry they forgot about red nose day, sport relief, children in need etc in UK and Thailand 3rd - doubt that!