Rain again.

backstairs

How long has it been dry for? 6 weeks. My car looks like it is in the Paris-Dakar rally. Rumours from Kamala North report water shortages around soi 10. Weather reports more of the same. Heat and dust. Any wise ones know the real water - hosepipe - shower - tap water - non-well persons situation? Any knock on effects? e,g, no ice in Tesco. All observations welcome. It would help an inbound visitor heading for Kamala. And me in Surin. And as for Laguna; should be renamed Lagunita.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been dry for more like 12 weeks. Forecast says 2 more weeks until we have real rain. Quite a normal annual situation, nothing new here.

Normal is only in the belief the wet season goes from May until November yet in all my years here I have not "normally" seen that. What we are experiencing now with this long dry spell I can only recall several times. It has rained through December more often than not, rains have started in Feb more often than not.

Yes, El Nino officially arrived in December last year and was confirmed last month.

The last two were 2004 - 2005 and 2009 - 2010.

My well went dry in 2005 (a rare event).

In 2010 it was fortunate that the rains didn't start until late May, early June as I was re-roofing the house.

Saying that, the wind direction is swinging wildly and increasing electrical storms with no, or very little rain.

In other words, normal for this time of the year.............so far.

Been dry for more like 12 weeks. Forecast says 2 more weeks until we have real rain. Quite a normal annual situation, nothing new here.

No rain I can agree with you about is normal now but Phuket and Thailand are generally warmer in dry / hot season now than only 10 years ago. This is part of the world wide climate change and Thailand will be extremely hot when it first are hot in the future which the Thai government and most farmers round the country are well aware of and when the government still hanging a bit on to the fence the farmers in many parts of the country are as an example adapting and change some of their production from rice to sugarcane / cassava.

Plenty of dark clouds over Kata, was even darker over Patong about 14.00. The rain is close, just refuses to pour it down ... waiting

No electricity in Rawai - is it raining somewhere now? rolleyes.gif

- or are they fixing the barrier on the Chalong-Kata hill road and decided better to be safe than sorry?

- there were two distinct 2 or 3 second warning outages just before it went off completely, about 3pm - a good indicator that someone is working somewhere on something. dry.png

Plenty of dark clouds over Kata, was even darker over Patong about 14.00. The rain is close, just refuses to pour it down ... waiting

- or are they fixing the barrier on the Chalong-Kata hill road and decided better to be safe than sorry?

- there were two distinct 2 or 3 second warning outages just before it went off completely, about 3pm - a good indicator that someone is working somewhere on something. dry.png

They were working on the lines in Soi Sai Yuan (opposite the Muay Thai there), so that could be there reason. I hope it did not affect my place, not good for the magnums.

They were working on the lines in Soi Sai Yuan (opposite the Muay Thai there), so that could be there reason. I hope it did not affect my place, not good for the magnums.

Is that Champagne in the fridge, ice cream, or do you like to keep your weapons cool?

smile.png

I just checked: my Walls Top Tens are OK. post-35489-0-54072500-1428231901.gif

I go by anecdotal evidence. Car the dirtiest it has ever been. Mind you that is wind and lots of dust from building sites. What else? Heat mid afternoon. Ice and water low in nearby Tesco. Left knee clicking more than usual. Humming Eurythmics song.

It's not hotter than 10 years ago.......

It's been 32, 33 deg C.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/mar/24/warmest-years-record-un-global-warming

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/mar/22/global-warming-hit-asia-hardest

Observed and Predicted Climate Change in Thailand

Climate change is set to drastically affect the world, and Thailand will likely be one of the most affected countries given its geography, economy and level of development. Thailand is already experiencing the impacts of global climate change. Thailand’s Department of Meteorology reported that the annual mean temperature in Thailand rose by approximately one degree celsius from 1981 to 2007 (see Figure 1). As stated by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), the upward drift is very likely due to the increase in greenhouse gas concentrations caused by anthropogenic (human- based) activity.

we had a good soaking about a week ago up North in CM.

Pattaya got 4 hours worth yesterday.

don't worry, it's coming. a few weeks or so.

My staff is camped out on Koh Rang Yai tonight and just before midnight while we were on the phone it started raining there, which turned into a decent downpour for another about 5 min. before turning into a drizzle and petering out. During that time I went up to our rooftop terrace here in Chalong and it was perfectly dry, though I could see clouds and occasional flashes of lightning toward the east and southeast. Could be El Nino effect, not sure, but I have a feeling the monsoon season might actually come a bit early this year...

I got drizzle half an hour ago and right now, real rain. I'm afraid it will not last for long, but at least the air is much cooler now.

not in Rawai it isn't. 5am and i'm baking already. anyhow, tomorrow i'll be in the mountains of North Viet Nam, 14 degress there right now

Chucking it down in south Rawai - and (of course) the power cut started a few minutes before the rain. At least the Internet is still working.

Stevenl: How's your power?

Edited by JetsetBkk