Rubio tells supporters he is running for White House

webfact

Rubio tells supporters he is running for White House
By PHILIP ELLIOTT and BRENDAN FARRINGTON

MIAMI (AP) — Sen. Marco Rubio entered the presidential race Monday by offering the nation a younger generation of leadership that breaks free of ideas "stuck in the 20th century," a jab at both Democratic favorite Hillary Rodham Clinton and his one-time Republican mentor, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush.

Standing in front of a banner that proclaimed "A New American Century" and repeating that refrain throughout his kickoff speech, the 43-year-old Cuban-American used his first turn as a Republican presidential candidate to take on two of America's political dynasties. In doing so, he bet heavily on the electorate's frustrations with Washington and his ability to change how his party is seen by voters.

"This election is not just about what laws we are going to pass," Rubio told his evening rally. "It is a generational choice about what kind of country we will be."

He said it's also a choice between the haves and have-nots, nodding to his own upbringing by working-class parents. "I live an exceptional country where the son of a bartender and a maid can have the same dreams and the same future as those who come from power and privilege."

Earlier in the day, the first-term Republican from Florida spoke to his top donors and told them many families feel the American Dream is slipping away and young Americans face unequal opportunities. He's banking on the hope that he, alone among many GOP rivals, can make inroads with groups that have long eluded Republicans — young people, minorities and the less affluent.

"I feel uniquely qualified to not just make that argument, but to outline the policies that we need to have in order to achieve it," he said on the donor call.

In his televised speech, he told supporters, "The time has come for our generation to lead the way toward a new American century."

Rubio's remarks came as Clinton was traveling to Iowa on her first trip as a candidate. Her entrance into the race with an online video Sunday is robbing some attention from Rubio's splash into the race.

But Rubio saw an opportunity to cast the presidential contest as one between a fresh face representing a new generation of leadership and familiar faces harking back decades — namely, the 62-year-old Bush and the 67-year-old Clinton.

"While our people and economy are pushing the boundaries of the 21st century, too many of our leaders and their ideas are stuck in the 20th century," Rubio said to applause.

The swipe at Bush was implied; with Clinton, he was more direct.

"Just yesterday, a leader from yesterday began a campaign for president by promising to take us back to yesterday," Rubio said to jeers. "Yesterday is over and we are never going back."

Supporters began lining up in 87-degree heat three hours before the public kickoff at Freedom Tower, the Miami landmark that was the first stop for tens of thousands of fleeing Cuban exiles during the 1960s and 1970s.

Kelly Steele, 50, and her 18-year-old son wore tie-dyed Rubio T-shirts. "We have had a lot of Bushes," Kelly Steele said, comparing Rubio to a youthful John Kennedy.

"Sen. Rubio kind of reminds me of JFK," she said. "He's got that energy and desire and momentum and excitement."

Hours before his rally, the chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida, criticized Rubio as just another establishment Republican with no new ideas.

"He's a follower, peddling the same tired Republican playbook," she told reporters. "Marco Rubio has pandered to the Republican base throughout his whole career."

To counter views of him as a neophyte, Rubio has outlined specific policy proposals both on foreign and domestic issues. He plans future presentations as his campaign gets underway.

On Tuesday, on his first day as a candidate, he is set to return to Washington to join a Senate hearing on a proposed deal with Iran on its nuclear ambitions.

Rubio faces steep challenges to the nomination, including a well-funded one that Bush is expected to offer. The son of one president and brother of another, Jeb Bush was governor while Rubio was speaker of the Florida House. The two formed a close bond, but a presidential campaign was certain to test the strength of their friendship.

Rubio is the third major GOP contender to declare himself a candidate, after Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas and Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky, in a field that could grow to 20 or more.

Rubio could make history as the nation's first Hispanic president — as could Cruz.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-04-14

Sen. Marco Rubio is young, handsome, intelligent, a good speaker and has plenty of political experience - he previously served as Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives (20072009). He is also Hospanic.

I'm starting to think that he might be Hillary's (latest) BIGGEST NIGHTMARE.

It is exactly this way of thinking that is dooming the Republicans. It should not be 'Hillary's nightmare', she has not even been nominated yet and there will be quite a few other candidates.

The republican nomination should be about the Republicans and their beliefs and ideas. Later on in the process you can look at the other party's candidates, but doing that at this stage shows the Republicans mindset: 'we are against'.

Sen. Marco Rubio is young, handsome, intelligent, a good speaker and has plenty of political experience - he previously served as Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives (20072009). He is also Hospanic.

It is exactly this way of thinking that is dooming the Republicans. It should not be 'Hillary's nightmare', she has not even been nominated yet and there will be quite a few other candidates.

Other possible candidates don't matter. Unless there is some very unlikely catastrophe, Hillary will be the democratic nominee. It would be foolish not to recognize that now.

• Like 1

Other possible candidates don't matter. Unless there is some very unlikely catastrophe, Hillary will be the democratic nominee. It would be foolish not to recognize that now.

Yes, as I said, the against thinking is all too dominant.

The republican nomination should be about the Republicans and their beliefs and ideas. Later on in the process you can look at the other party's candidates, but doing that at this stage shows the Republicans mindset: 'we are against'.

"It is exactly this way of thinking that is dooming the Republicans. It should not be 'Hillary's nightmare', she has not even been nominated yet and there will be quite a few other candidates.

Please provide names of these potential candidates.

• Like 2

There's a thread about HRC running for the D party nomination, another thread about H preparing to run for it and a few other threads kicking around. Clinton bashing is welcome there as it helps the cause considerably.

Here, the thread has Rubio's name in the topic headline and is the topic. Can't say anything good about Sen Marco Rubio, maybe don't say anything at all.

Marco Rubio’s wife crashes family car at 2016 summit

http://pagesix.com/2015/01/27/marco-rubios-crashes-family-car-into-porsche/

It wuz at a Rubio fundraiser for his top 500 donors.

Here is Mrs Marco Rubio while she was on course to be a Miami Dolphins cheerleader:

ht_1974_Maureen_McDonnell_nt_120518_wmai

Edited by Publicus for spacing.

Edited by Publicus

He's a very well spoken clean cut and lovely boy. Too bad he's already married!

The subtext of his rhetoric will be an economic threat to baby boomers and he'll be pitting the old vs. the young.

He doesn't have a chance.

Old people vote. Young people don't.

Don't get me wrong.

I like Marco Rubio very much. I'd like to pinch his cheeks.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm not a Rubio supporter--he favors the illegal alien amnesty. But I do admit that a debate b/w him and Hillary Clinton would be devastating for her. I doubt she has the health and stamina to stay on her feet for a 90 minute debate. What is she going to demand for the debate format? Sofas? Rubio will make Clinton look ancient and tired.

• Like 1

I'm not a Rubio supporter--he favors the illegal alien amnesty.

That was my biggest complaint about him, but he did change his position. Nobody is perfect, but IMO he comes a lot closer to it than most of the other choices and he has youth, vitality and charisma in spades. Hillary Clinton looks like a scandal ridden old crone in comparison.

http://www.nytimes.com/1996/01/08/opinion/essay-blizzard-of-lies.html

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 2

Rubio and Sen Rand Paul of KY are up for re-election next year when 24 of the 34 Senators that rotate onto the ballot in their home states are Republicans.

Sen Rubio said he will run for prez and not for re-election to the Senate, opening an R-held Senate seat in FL during a presidential election year. Some high profile Florida Democrats in Washington and in FL are lining up for this plumb among the low hanging fruit of the 24 Republican party seats that are up next year. Polite conversation remains broadly silent on whether Rubio could have won reelection to the Senate.

Sen Rand Paul is trying to change the state law in KY that prohibits running for two offices simultaneously but the bill is stuck in the KY House after having passed the state senate. Democrats have majority control of the KY House and the governor is a D so Rand Paul and his US Senate seat in Washington may become an open seat election. Or Paul would have to decide to run and campaign for one of the offices.

Rubio's course is clear, i.e., he's campaigning for one office only which is prez. Looks like in January 2017 he can get a 7-figure job with a top Miami law firm that controls business between the Americas and works to keep Cuba isolated. If I were Rubio, I'd invest in the former and not the latter.

Hasta la vista Marco.

Something I don't think I'm young, you're old is going to be enough.

It's a good start. I still LOVE his rags to riches story and I've heard it many timers.

Ultimately, Rubio is unparalleled in terms of his ability to eloquently articulate conservative philosophy. And putting aside the obvious fact that any nominee must be qualified to govern (and I think he clearly passes that test) one could certainly argue that there is nothing more important that Republicans should be looking for in a nominee. I've been in the room when Rubio speaks -- even a cynical scribbler who's heard a million speeches feels the hairs on the back of his neck stand up.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/04/13/why-rubio-can-go-all-the-way.html

Edited by Ulysses G.

The subtext of his rhetoric will be an economic threat to baby boomers and he'll be pitting the old vs. the young.

Don't get me wrong.

The wife thing could be a coverup.

Don't get me wrong.

The wife thing could be a coverup.

Well I have no opinion about that, but I do know that despite his modern appearance his political views are EXTREMELY against gay civil rights. He has even supported a right wing fundamentalist Christian organization that promotes "cures" for gay people. Given Hillary Clinton's current pro gay civil rights political positioning, that would certainly make an interesting contrast if both are nominated ... and Hillary would be the winner on that one as the country is much closer to her on those issues.

Senator Rubio's foreign policy fluency, four years of study on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, his detailed understanding of global hotspots and a travel itinerary that has taken him to Afghanistan, Kuwait, Pakistan, Malta, Libya, Spain, Germany, Haiti, Colombia, Jordan, Israel, London, Japan, the Philippines and South Korea.will serve him well.

• Like 2

With his anti-gay agenda, he should get along swimmingly with Russian dictator Putin. Mildly pretty boy Cubano Americano Rubio claims he wants to lead America into the future. Funny concept of a future. Jerry Falwell is dead yet he proposes to lead the country back to having a president that would have gelled with that hateful relic.

Edited by Scott

Senator Rubio's foreign policy fluency, four years of study on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, his detailed understanding of global hotspots and a travel itinerary that has taken him to Afghanistan, Kuwait, Pakistan, Malta, Libya, Spain, Germany, Haiti, Colombia, Jordan, Israel, London, Japan, the Philippines and South Korea.will serve him well.

So which button do I press to get the next canned policy blurb from the Senate Republican Campaign Committee....or was it from the Rubio for Prez Campaign office?

That's straight out of the Congressional Directory into which each Member of Congress writes his/her own entry singing his own praises at taxpayer expense. The only thing omitted is the name of each expensive hotel in each country specifically named.

Four years in the Senate and two more years campaigning make Marco Rubio little more than somewhat literate in geoeconomics and international relations, foreign policy, global regions and organizations, global organizations, global leaders etc. Rubio's world is each Little Havana in dozens of Florida cities and all of 'em together, along with a bunch of Republicans in Washington. Rubio signed the letter of advice, support, consent to the Ayatollah.

Rubio hasn't ever held a job besides. This 43 year old kid seems to have spent the past 15-20 years in law school, then elected office or previously as a Cuban-American community organizer.

Which buttons do we press again cause this is hilarious.

• Like 1

Puke. Every republican has to end every speech with "God bless you, God bless the USA" . Fresh face but same old right wing religious conservatism at the end of the day. No thanks. Hilary is the go, even better if she were to choose Nancy Pelosi for running mate

• Like 1