What if I Kill Run Over A Songkraner?

Neeranam

<> I can never find that upside down v

It's no secret that the Thais in Pattaya really detest or perhaps resent the hand that feeds them - the farang.

They are allowed a few extra days to get their bottled up hatred out in the guise as a "friendly act" - then it's back to giving old Helmut head, getting pumped by smelly old Norwegian seamen, selling the bloody rude farang idiots pineapple for 50 baht or whatever.

• Like 2

I have an academic legal question.

Suppose on one of the supposed "Songkran days" which in Pattaya can be as long as 10 days that you go out later at night, say 9 PM, clean/dry/dressed decently and not prepared for or interested in water play. Suppose also it is a cooler weather evening.

Then suppose some evil batard throws a large volume of icy dirty water all over you.

Throw in some white powder for good measure.

Your nice clothes are now soiled/smelly/stained, you are all wet, your wallet and cell phone are compromised, you are now cold and in no condition to continue to your intended destination.

Also your ears and eyes are at risk of infection ... or perhaps your expensive eyeglasses have been broken.

Then suppose you strike back at them in some kind of non-watery violent expression.

Or suppose a cop is around and saw the the incident ... can you demand arrest?

While I'm assuming under Thai law, vigilante action is not legal, is that kind of water throwing well beyond the limits of any kind of imaginable civility LAWFUL or not under Thai law during the Songkran period (10 days in Pattaya)?

Not saying it would be enforced, just curious to know if it is legally a violent assault, which is how I do see it.

BTW ... yes I have been attacked that way personally at 10 PM at night and not on the peak day in Pattaya either ... just another random day out of ten.

Unofficially over the period of Songkran, participants during the festivities are given more or less a free hand to play their games, and others just going about their normal business are expected to be tolerant within reason. Also it is expected that those carrying items such as, cameras, phones and so on or wearing clothing they want to keep clean, should try and avoid areas where participants are playing their water games.

But if for example a participant commits an act that causes serious injury to someone else, regardless whether someone else is another participant or not, through negligence or deliberate with intentions of causing harm, than that person can be prosecuted under criminal law. The problem is defining what constitutes as being negligent.

As I said previous, those who venture out during Songkran, do so at their own risk and discretion.

• Like 1

Ya think you'd even survive to make it to court if you plowed through a crowd of drunk, slap happy revellers already primed by the water fight?

LOL....read the OP Title , then looked across and saw you're user name.....made me laugh, they sorter fit together hey?

Went to the festivities in Old CM....and I got to tell you.

There were thousands in the street. You would be best advised to go around, and not through them.

I think you would come up on the short end of the stick.

We parked our car at Huay Kaew shopping mall and walked to Loi Kroh...earlier in the day. Not a problem. However, at 5 p.m. we were unable to get a Songtaew back to the mall. We were partied out...but had never anticipated the crowd. Believe you me...traffic was at a stand still. There would be ..literally...no way...you would need to swerve. People were walking freely in an around the traffic.

If I only knew the "gauntlet" of water throwing pedestrians we had to pass, I would of never have attempted to go down there. The walk back to the car drained me, totally.

Actually, I was the drain for all the water in every single bucket/toy in town.

Edited by slipperylobster

Headlines the next morning would not be good.

"A road rage attack by a foreigner (with bad skin) resulted in a thorough bashing by several hundred Songkranians."

Photo of you sitting on the curb with serveral medics treating the lumps on your head. One old lady pointing a finger at you...the perpetrator.

• Like 1

"A road rage attack by a foreigner (with bad skin) resulted in a thorough bashing by several hundred Songkranians."

Photo of you sitting on the curb with serveral medics treating the lumps on your head. One old lady pointing a finger at you...the perpetrator.

I doubt there would be any need for medics. The outcome would probably be a mob lynching followed by forensics trying to identify the victim from the pools of blood and remaining body parts scattered along the side-walk.

• Like 1

I doubt there would be any need for medics. The outcome would probably be a mob lynching followed by forensics trying to identify the victim from the pools of blood and remaining body parts scattered along the side-walk.

Yes and after short and thorough investigation by the RTPF, their conclusion will be....suicide.....

• Like 1

<> I can never find that upside down v

It's no secret that the Thais in Pattaya really detest or perhaps resent the hand that feeds them - the farang.

They are allowed a few extra days to get their bottled up hatred out in the guise as a "friendly act" - then it's back to giving old Helmut head, getting pumped by smelly old Norwegian seamen, selling the bloody rude farang idiots pineapple for 50 baht or whatever.

then it's back to …. getting pumped by smelly old Norwegian seamen...

Spellchecker has its limitations, huh?

The OP has been around for ages as has the other main whinger on this thread, I just put it down to their being grumpy about putting their respective schedules out of whack for a few days, they surely know what to expect. Talk about mowing people down, cops, lawsuits, sheesh.

• Like 2