Military orders Naklua retailers to clear sidewalks, streets

Rimmer

Military orders Naklua retailers to clear sidewalks, streets

n6military1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Retailers along a stretch of Naklua Road have been told to clear sidewalks and parking space outside their shops after complaints of encroachment on public property.

Municipal authorities backed up by soldiers hit Naklua Road near the Lumpini condominium project office April 7. They found businesses placing chairs, posts and other objects in the street to prohibit parking as well as taking over sidewalks.

Some vendors had expanded their signage and were showcasing their products, making it impossible to walk on the sidewalk.

Officials spoke to business owners, telling them their actions were not only selfish, but illegal, and asked for cooperation in returning the streets and sidewalks to the public.

Retailers, however, fought back, forcing the military to step in. Soldiers told them to obey the law and clear the public property before April 20. They promised to return for another inspection.

No arrests were made now, but vendors who don’t comply by the end of Songkran will face being detained.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/military-orders-naklua-retailers-to-clear-sidewalks-streets-46295#sthash.BMOcXNu2.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2015-04-17 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

How about the scooter shops that do their repairs right on the sidewalk. What a mess...

Spot on There is one on the west side of Thrappaya Road, just south of the Third Road overpass as you are heading to Jomtien. They throw their oil and refuse down the storm drain and the entire sidewalk and adjacent area is contaminated with oi and solvents.

The waste and contamination ends up in the bay, which is the "showplace" of Pattaya and Jomtien.

Vendors consider govt property/sidewalks/etc., as space they have a right to use. Well, they think it's their Buddha given right when in fact like the article said they are just being selfish. Basically they have have no concern for impact on the public. Thainess.

If all of the parking spaces were available for parking, it would help to alleviate traffic congestion, just by eliminating many cars driving around in circles looking for somewhere to park.

Maybe parking should be limited to 4 hours in the daytime as well. You could employ a few dozen people to each work a small area, marking plate numbers and time seen, at the

parking spot, then ticket or clamp overtime parkers.

Not forgetting the huge coach busses parking on Pattaya South, 3rd Rd, Theppraya, Jomtien 2nd Rd.....

However blocking and misusing parking space will never stop - parking like that is not for free in a Pattaya, it is one of the incomes sources of a certain group in Brown.

If all of the parking spaces were available for parking, it would help to alleviate traffic congestion, just by eliminating many cars driving around in circles looking for somewhere to park.

Maybe parking should be limited to 4 hours in the daytime as well. You could employ a few dozen people to each work a small area, marking plate numbers and time seen, at the

Better yet, tow the offending vehicle and make the owner pay a fine plus storage and towing fees in order to get the vehicle back. I'm sure things would get much better, real fast. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Totally agree with all that Cake Monster said. It's a wonder it's not worse than it already is. There needs to be VISIBLE enforcement of all laws with stiff fines--not this 100 baht and 500 baht nonsense. And, it needs to be enforced all the time, not just at special times.

I tend to agree........

Retailers, repair shops, restaurants etc lay claim to the pavements and even out into the road all over the place.

It is a sort of selfish land-grab.

Problem is they have gotten away with it for so long there is a sense of entitlement.

Edited by jacko45k

Or Thailand might like to join the 20th century and use parking meters.

• Like 2

So we have motor bikes for hire taking up road parking space; selfish business owners who prevent parking in front of their premises; coach drivers; I would also like to nominate another group - laundries. They erect metal drying frames near their businesses on the sunny side of the street. I have some sympathy but not when they leave the frames out empty & overnight.

So we have motor bikes for hire taking up road parking space; selfish business owners who prevent parking in front of their premises; coach drivers; I would also like to nominate another group - laundries. They erect metal drying frames near their businesses on the sunny side of the street. I have some sympathy but not when they leave the frames out empty & overnight.

Regarding the laundry drying frames, I saw a man walking along a soi, not paying enough attention, and since the drying rack was unused at the time, it did not catch his attention, until it caught the side of his forehead with a sharp rap!

I had a lot of empathy for him, because this is the kind of thing I would do too!

I prefer the venders. they provide shade during the day

You must be what's colloquially know as a short-arse. Those awnings are too low even for most average farangs and some of the Beach Road ones are lowered or extended even more so that they shade the lazy buggers that run these 'stalls' as they laze in their lawn chairs and drape themselves over their motorbikes.

Memo to Swiss Geez. I think you totally missed the point of Bangkok Barry's reply. He knows it's the 21st century but what he was saying, with humor, is that things like parking meters have been around for a long time and maybe it's time for Thailand to bravely move forward to the 20th century and embrace some of these newfangled inventions.