Brit who masterminded UK tobacco smuggling ring captured in Hua Hin

Brit who masterminded UK tobacco smuggling ring captured in Hua Hin

HUA HIN:-- A wanted British national who it is alleged was at the centre of a multi-million pound tobacco smuggling ring has been captured by police in Hua Hin, Prachuap Khirikhan province.

Paul Joyce from Northumberland was said to be the mastermind of a gang who smuggled more than 10 million cigarettes into the UK in 2008, which deprived the country of almost £2 million in lost tax revenue.

Whilst other members of the gang were jailed in the UK for a total of twelve years in 2011, Paul Joyce had remained at large having evaded arrest in 2008.

On Wednesday, Joyce was finally apprehended in the car park of the Sea-Cret Hotel in Hua Hin by officers from Thailand's Central Investigation Bureau, reports the Bangkok Post.

It is unclear exactly how long Joyce has been Thailand after fleeing the UK, although the Bangkok Post says that he could have been in the country since 2008.

During the trial held at Newcastle Crown Court in 2011, local newspaper The Journal reported how the jury was told that Joyce played a key role in the smuggling operation.

“Paul Joyce is at the centre of this conspiracy. On each occasion the cigarettes were being smuggled the prosecution say Joyce played a significant role co-ordinating the operation by phone with individuals on the ground,” said Alex Offer prosecuting.

tvn.png
-- 2015-04-22

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What is it with Thailand attracting these criminals on the run.

Perhaps they see it as a safe haven?

Sounds like he could have been hiding out here for the best part of 7 years too.

Shouldn't 90 day reporting/ Immigration pick up stuff like this?

Then again, I suppose if you're on the run you're not going to go and complete your 90 day report, are you?

That's what the elite card is for...............wink.png

• Like 1

Its a Small amount of Tax to the UK Government, But yes illegal , pity they do not chase the Bankers who nearly bankrupted the British people. Not one Banker in jail. Or prosecuted.

One organisation that one does not cross/tangle-with is HM Customs & Excise (probably known as something else now).

I believe that in many ways these guys have more powers than the police!

• Like 2

Its a Small amount of Tax to the UK Government, But yes illegal , pity they do not chase the Bankers who nearly bankrupted the British people. Not one Banker in jail. Or prosecuted.

Fred "the shred" Goodwin lost his knighthood.

Must have been gutted at the loss of face.

I can remember many years ago smuggling was rife because things were cheaper then people would come with empty suitcases go back home with full suitcases filled with branded clothes and cigarettes on a regular basis .

Fred "the shred" Goodwin lost his knighthood.

Must have been gutted at the loss of face.

I heard he's eying up a recently vacated prime property in Hua Hin as well.

Sounds like he could have been hiding out here for the best part of 7 years too.

Then again, I suppose if you're on the run you're not going to go and complete your 90 day report, are you?

Since the ne'erdowell was privy to a sizeable chunk of a two million quid rip off from the UK's excise mob, I am pretty sure he never needed to do any of that 90-day shit that the proles have to.

Criminals just attract other criminals.

It's the same as in Spain at the Costa del Crime.

Next to that, a criminal in Thailand once told me that being on the run is expensive and Thailand doesn't cost that much.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

One organisation that one does not cross/tangle-with is HM Customs & Excise (probably known as something else now).

I believe that in many ways these guys have more powers than the police!

That's why they were called "The Knock".

No warrants required.........................wink.png

No police photo op. I ask as well, did this really happen?

How would he re-enact tobacco smuggling in the UK?

Bit difficult, no?

tongue.png

No picture of the captured man being put before the public ? did it really happen ?

All the real bad boys go to Cambodia anyway . I am not sure this happened

Thai Visa conspiracy theories at it's very best, do some research on the interweb and you will see it did happen

No picture of the captured man being put before the public ? did it really happen ?

All the real bad boys go to Cambodia anyway . I am not sure this happened

Thai Visa conspiracy theories at it's very best, do some research on the interweb and you will see it did happen

Oh dear! That one went straight over your head didn't it!:rolleyes:

• Like 1

As Berthold Brecht once said:" I am not sure what is the bigger crime...to open a bank or to robb it"...

Edited by Crazy chef 1