What are the top three restaurant cuisines you would love to see open here?

Jingthing

Not in any order of preference as they're all scrummy :

Spanish Food and Catalan cuisine

Traditional Belgian

Traditional German

Real Fish and Chip Shop / Pie and Mash Shop

Greek cuisine

Lebanese Cuisine

New York Deli style

Just scoffed a good Isaan meal tonight. The choice of Thai food is phenomenal, still trying new things after 25 years. Very good authentic Italian just down the road, and the Chockchai steaks are wonderful. Some good Japanese here, my preference Kasa. Spoiled for choice really!

Off to Japan next week so plenty new things to try.

OK, I'm going to challenge this out of curiosity.

This thread is only about the Pattaya area ... we have some things OK, and some things either not at all or possibly not good enough based on opinion.

Some of them I understand.

But traditional German? Aren't there something like 100 German restaurants in town ... not even one does it for you?

Some Belgian places too ... none are OK?

Fish and chips? So many. None works for you?

Lebanese ... there's that place on 3rd road ... not good enough?

New York Deli ... Pastrami on Rye in Jomtien not good enough?

I tried a lot of fish and chip places and the only decent one has closed. They just don't use decent fish.

Authentic Mex, you can add Tortas also I would even tolerate Taco Bell if it was in Issan, definitely a Good Chinese Restaurant, also

Is that food ? whistling.gif

. Have you seen some of those dishes in Issan...

Yes a lot.

I prefer Thai food over Falang food now days.

only eat falang food once or twice a week for me.

Taco Bell is crap food

Yes, Taco Bell is not what most people would call "Mexican food." But given the grossly overpriced crap that we are being presented with by people who think they know what Mexican (or Mexican-American) food is, Taco Bell is a good alternative. I would love to see Taco Bell in Thailand.

Having said that, I long for Mexican food like you get in good places in the southern states of the USA. I have lived over here for over two decades and still have not had one decent tamale, chile relleno, beef enchilada, fajita, or beef taco in Thailand. Most places do not even know how to make good rice and beans.

Yes, please, can we finally see one good American-Chinese place? They refuse to do it. You can't even find it in Chinatown in Bangkok. Instead, you get "pig face and pig ear" dishes and dumplings. It is no surprise that those places tend to rapidly go out of business, especially in Pattaya-Jomtien.

And how I would love real smoked BBQ, southern USA style. That means smoked beef brisket, pork sausage, and ribs. Yes, you can get smoked ribs over here (usually pathetic versions of the real deal).

Why I am at it, how about one decent gyro place, w/ authentic gyro and Greek bread. I am so sick and tired of that horrible crap they sell on the street--the chicken stuff w/ terrible bread.

People have talked about Cajun food. I love some of it. I would love a bowl of shrimp/crap etouffe.

And not one decent hamburger place in the entire country--certainly not in Pattaya-Jomtien.

• Cuisine from the tri-border area of France-Germany-Switzerland
  • Mexican
  • Hungarian goulash

We are having excellent French restaurants (l'addresse is the latest and a really good one), South German restaurants (Bei Gerhard, excellent, but not from this region), numerous Swiss restaurants. All are good, but they don't offer food from this particular region, where you'll find a product of all the best from the three cuisines (The restaurants there are mostly just a stone throw away from the border).

Mexican... Yes outside of Pattaya. This has been discussed before.

A really good Hungarian goulash? That beats me to know a place in Thailand. Like a Szegediner goulash and other variations.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not in any order of preference as they're all scrummy :

Spanish Food and Catalan cuisine

Traditional Belgian

Traditional German

Real Fish and Chip Shop / Pie and Mash Shop

Greek cuisine

Lebanese Cuisine

New York Deli style

Just scoffed a good Isaan meal tonight. The choice of Thai food is phenomenal, still trying new things after 25 years. Very good authentic Italian just down the road, and the Chockchai steaks are wonderful. Some good Japanese here, my preference Kasa. Spoiled for choice really!

Off to Japan next week so plenty new things to try.

OK, I'm going to challenge this out of curiosity.

This thread is only about the Pattaya area ... we have some things OK, and some things either not at all or possibly not good enough based on opinion.

Some of them I understand.

But traditional German? Aren't there something like 100 German restaurants in town ... not even one does it for you?

Some Belgian places too ... none are OK?

Fish and chips? So many. None works for you?

Lebanese ... there's that place on 3rd road ... not good enough?

New York Deli ... Pastrami on Rye in Jomtien not good enough?

Someone has taken the time to reply to your thread.

Go and eat a cheezebite, JT

Edited by EmptyHead
  • Like 1

I agree with Balo, a good Indonesian restaurant would be nice, British and Scandinavian food are well represented here. A upgrade of the old restaurants in Jomtien complex would also be nice, L'ovier had dicentra food but are now a mediocre Vietnamese, East have gone downhill, one of the lady boy waiters are now cooking and their Monday buffet never have food or desserts unless you are one of the first guests and the new waitstaff are incompetent. I know this was to much but had to get it out.

• Like 2

Despite the pizza thread, I still don't have a favorite place where to eat a good and affordable thin-crust Italian-style pizza where the pizza is priced ok without rip-off on drinks (90 baht for small beer, no thanks !)

So that would be my #1

Number two is northern/continental Chinese with crispy duck and chicken, suckling pig, proper Chinese fried rice, sour egg soup, etc. I just can't stand seafood Chinese anymore and for soft skin duck I just go to MK.

Number three is a dim sum restaurant. The defunct Canton house in Central Festival already didn't quite cut it, but since its disappearance I don't really have a place to go to eat dim sum - Shanghai in north Pattaya has a couple tasty ones on the menu but they are IMO overpriced and they don't offer much choice - other options include the restaurant inside Dusit Thani and the "Marco Polo" inside the Montien Hotel (both expensive and again just about a dozen dim sum to chose from).

Number four is a restaurant serving proper Bavarian grilled pork knuckles - the German Garden in Naklua soi 12 has announced it will close at the end of May and I have never heard about another place in Pattaya serving grilled cured pork knuckles (no, frying the knuckles is strictly verboten!!).

As a number five I would nominate a place in general that would serve Western classics at good quality at an affordable price - I am thinking about a 300g ribeye steak with shoestring fries, a Wiener schnitzel, proper spaghetti carbonara or bolognese, etc.

Places I know in Pattaya either do it too cheap, so the quality is bad, or they do it at the right price but the recipe/preparation is "strange" or they do it too expensive.

I haven't so far found a place that does these things well with no unwanted extras and no rip-off on drinks.

Edited by manarak

First of all I would like to see an all round good Thaifood restaurant. Sounds corny but I have yet to find one that has an extensive Thaifood menu with generally good food - not just a few dishes. I'm sure if you went to Royal Cliff or Mantra you would get great food but I'm talking about non-special occasion restos.

The closest I have gotten to finding such a place was the old Vientiane restaurant on 2nd Rd, and later on South Pattaya Rd, before they changed management.

I also miss that special bakery that makes sandwiches just the way I want them - fresh, golden and slightly crispy baguettes with a choice of salamis, various other cold cuts and the best cheeses from Europe.licklips.gif

Authentic Mex, you can add Tortas also I would even tolerate Taco Bell if it was in Issan, definitely a Good Chinese Restaurant, also

Is that food ? whistling.gif

. Have you seen some of those dishes in Issan...

Yes a lot.

I prefer Thai food over Falang food now days.

only eat falang food once or twice a week for me.

Taco Bell is crap food

Yes, Taco Bell is not what most people would call "Mexican food." But given the grossly overpriced crap that we are being presented with by people who think they know what Mexican (or Mexican-American) food is, Taco Bell is a good alternative. I would love to see Taco Bell in Thailand.

Having said that, I long for Mexican food like you get in good places in the southern states of the USA. I have lived over here for over two decades and still have not had one decent tamale, chile relleno, beef enchilada, fajita, or beef taco in Thailand. Most places do not even know how to make good rice and beans.

Yes, please, can we finally see one good American-Chinese place? They refuse to do it. You can't even find it in Chinatown in Bangkok. Instead, you get "pig face and pig ear" dishes and dumplings. It is no surprise that those places tend to rapidly go out of business, especially in Pattaya-Jomtien.

And how I would love real smoked BBQ, southern USA style. That means smoked beef brisket, pork sausage, and ribs. Yes, you can get smoked ribs over here (usually pathetic versions of the real deal).

Why I am at it, how about one decent gyro place, w/ authentic gyro and Greek bread. I am so sick and tired of that horrible crap they sell on the street--the chicken stuff w/ terrible bread.

People have talked about Cajun food. I love some of it. I would love a bowl of shrimp/crap etouffe.

And not one decent hamburger place in the entire country--certainly not in Pattaya-Jomtien.

. Dannyboy666 . I Judge Mexican places on their rice and beans, if not good whole meal is gonna be Bad, I hate those chicken gyros they sell here, yuk, some good BBQ and Red Beans and Rice Edited by Dannyboy666

As I'm from Hawai'i, I'd love to see a "local" place. That's plate lunch, mac salad, mahi mahi, stuff li dat

Huli Huli Chicken BBQ and Mahi Mahi fish sandwiches....mmmmmmmm.

so good...you have to say the words twice.....Bra.

Mac salad and one scoop rice...same like in da "ki's" (Waikiki)

Edited by slipperylobster

I have been following these posts and it is interesting to see all the different types of cuisine everyone desires.

I know that it is not in Pattaya, but if you are in Bangers there is a new American restaurant that serves authentic American BBQ, ribs, pulled pork sandwiches etc etc.

It is called "Smoking Pug" and they are getting rave reviews on TripAdvisor, we visited a few weeks ago and enjoyed our evening and the food.

They also serve many interesting American and Japanese beers and they play great Blues music.

I am sure that if any Americans are missing authentic BBQ style food then they will be enjoy the Smoking Pug, give it a try the next time you come to Bangers.

I have been following these posts and it is interesting to see all the different types of cuisine everyone desires.

I know that it is not in Pattaya, but if you are in Bangers there is a new American restaurant that serves authentic American BBQ, ribs, pulled pork sandwiches etc etc.

It is called "Smoking Pug" and they are getting rave reviews on TripAdvisor, we visited a few weeks ago and enjoyed our evening and the food.

They also serve many interesting American and Japanese beers and they play great Blues music.

I am sure that if any Americans are missing authentic BBQ style food then they will be enjoy the Smoking Pug, give it a try the next time you come to Bangers.

Wow! Even though expensive, I can't wait to try it. I went to their website (Facebook) and found some pictures of the food. It actually looks like smoked BBQ and they do serve beef brisket (and ribs, and pulled pork, and fried okra, and smoked chicken wings, and hamburger, and they also have a Mexican food menu (which I think is a mistake from the get go.....should focus on smoked BBQ, southern USA style). The only thing I did not see is smoked sausage, cole slaw and potato salad, which are a must for a real smoked BBQ place. Here are the pics:

Beef brisket sandwich:

post-110622-0-28261100-1430026604_thumb.

What looks like a genuine burger:

post-110622-0-14241700-1430026624_thumb.

Pulled pork sandwich:

post-110622-0-64388800-1430026634_thumb.

Ribs:

post-110622-0-92315000-1430026645_thumb.

Yes, we are getting off the track. I just got excited hearing about this place and decided to post pics here.

• Like 1