Black water on Phuket beach 'is not pollution'

webfact

Black water on Phuket beach 'is not pollution'
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1430218522_1-org.jpg
A technician collects a water sample from the canal.

PHUKET: -- The black water that has been flowing from a klong across Naiyang Beach for the past few days is not human pollution, officials say. It is rotted leaves.

Officials sprang into action after photos posted on Facebook on Sunday (March 26) showed the black water, with comments that it also smelled unpleasant.

Surin Yotarak, Chief of Sakoo Tambon, told The Phuket News, “Today (April 28), we went to check the black water with Thalang District Chief, Veera Kerdsirimongkol. We discovered that it was not polluted water from the village or a hotel.

“We did find a construction project that is located near canal, which we thought might be the source of the black water. The project owner had no documents to show that any water being released is treated first. We will follow up on this point.

“But the main cause was a huge pile of dead leaves that had blocked the canal and then rotted. In the recent rain, water pressure broke through this blockage and pushed the rotted leaves down to the sea.”

Mr Surin said that the OrBorTor had brought in an excavator to dig out the canal so that it flows freely.

He added, “The Provincial Environment Office tested the water, which passed water standards by a number of parameters. It is not polluted water as the posts on Facebook stated.”

As for the smell from the rotted leaves, he said, this will be treated tomorrow by the use of Effective Micro-organisms.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/black-water-on-phuket-beach-is-not-pollution-52084.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-04-29

It's been very dry throughout the high season. Where does the water originate? A stream from the snow capped mountains?

We all know it's resorts pumping their waste water into the klongs just like at every other beach on the island.

It's been very dry throughout the high season. Where does the water originate? A stream from the snow capped mountains?

We all know it's resorts pumping their waste water into the klongs just like at every other beach on the island.

It actually seems that you don't know, neither can you read. This has only happened over the past few days so what were all these resorts doing with their waste prior to this?

Edited by Sviss Geez

I shake my head in wonder how an "official" could utter such BS. I could comment further, but such drivel is not worth the effort.

"I could comment further, but such drivel is not worth the effort."

You're right, it certainly would not be and thank you for saving us from anymore of it.

I shake my head in wonder how an "official" could utter such BS. I could comment further, but such drivel is not worth the effort.

You're right, it certainly would not be and thank you for saving us from anymore of it.

Your ignorant comment is unfortunately quite common among the trolls on TV. I was involved in pollution prevention for over 40 years and recognised by the BSI and ISO as an international expert on environmental management. So, sir I do, unlike obviously you, do know what I'm talking about.

Your ignorant comment is unfortunately quite common among the trolls on TV. I was involved in pollution prevention for over 40 years and recognised by the BSI and ISO as an international expert on environmental management. So, sir I do, unlike obviously you, do know what I'm talking about.

Yes, you made a very indepth comment here "such drivel is not worth the effort.".

It actually seems that you don't know, neither can you read. This has only happened over the past few days so what were all these resorts doing with their waste prior to this?

All the klongs leading to the sands at all beaches on Phuket are full of stench water. Ya nui,Kata, Karon, Patong and Kamala have it all year round. Leaves excuse is bullshit and everyone knows it.

Yes, you made a very indepth comment here "such drivel is not worth the effort.".

"such drivel is not worth the effort."

This could be the standard answer from now on to anything I don't agree with. I like it ! I think I will copy and paste it into a folder and keep it handy.

You are so enlightened so do please tell us what it is?

What the gov't is selling I am not buying

You are so enlightened so do please tell us what it is?

What the gov't is selling I am not buying

Pollution from agriculture and incorrect water management, i.e. regular cleaning of watercourses, canals and streams occur all over the world, this is just an example. What makes it such BS is to say "oh! it's OK it's just caused by a (massive) collection of leaves". The result of this is a massive increase in BOD (biological oxygen demand) and wipe-out of all oxygen dependant species in the water, the generation of foul smells (sulphur based gases) and generally an economic loss to the nearby community. If Thailand really really wants to attract "quality" tourists then "quality" environmental management is essential.

Biological treatment of this type of pollution in a watercourse will take weeks if not months. If the damage is already done, then the best treatment is hydrogen peroxide. Ozone would take days, maybe weeks. However the various posts suggest this is not an isolated incident so this would suggest discharges are being made into water courses without permission (if such rules apply in Thailand) or regard to the fragile environment and eco-systems.

Thailand needs a Thai equivalent of the USEPA or the UKs EA. But would that ever happen in this beautiful but misguided land ?

Come to Krabi's Ao Nang Beach. The Hotels there just drain all their waste water into a Klong and it just enters the Sea as a thick black smelly stream. Untreated of course - the treatment plant broke down several years ago. The story goes that the person holding onto the maintenance money was robbed and now the Tambon has nothing.

But the main cause was a huge pile of dead leaves that had blocked the canal and then rotted." - the answer is simple then, cut down all the trees and build condo's. biggrin.png

Sounds a good idea, but where will all the wastewater from the condo(s) go ? It's what was happening in the UK in the 50s & 60s, raw sewage straight into the nearest coastline. The Irish Sea was just a vast dump for everything, including explosives etc from WW2 and post war radioactive waste.

But the main cause was a huge pile of dead leaves that had blocked the canal and then rotted." - the answer is simple then, cut down all the trees and build condo's. biggrin.png

Sounds a good idea, but where will all the wastewater from the condo(s) go ? It's what was happening in the UK in the 50s & 60s, raw sewage straight into the nearest coastline. The Irish Sea was just a vast dump for everything, including explosives etc from WW2 and post war radioactive waste.

"but where will all the wastewater from the condo(s) go" - you are assuming people will actually be buying them and living in them. biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...