General Prayut sacks lottery board and heads the new board

Lite Beer

So the solution to the problem is to use public funds to buy back unwanted tickets??? Does not sound like a practical, fair and long term solution to me. In fact it sounds crazy.

They are REFUNDING tickets that have not been sold. Where are they using ''public funds'' as you mention?

Before or after the numbers are selected ??? facepalm.gif

Why not take the tickets off the streets & make customers buy a "lucky dip" type ticket from high street shops such as 7/11, Lotus, or even larger supermrkets etc using counter services ??

The shop makes a percent per ticket sold & nothing to be returned.

Tickets would be automatically recorded via a link to the lottery center.

Why should you bring logic into this thread ??

Sincere apologies..... I almost forgot where I was

T.I.T wai2.gif

So the solution to the problem is to use public funds to buy back unwanted tickets??? Does not sound like a practical, fair and long term solution to me. In fact it sounds crazy.

how long has it taken them to work out that the current system doesn't work, time to move on and get with the 21st century, deploy a proper electronic networked system like every other country on the planet has, profit the government makes can be pushed back into the community on various projects for the betterment of all, also a 5 number system with more wins would be better suited to Thailand rather than the rollover US UK and Euro system resulting in people winning huge single payouts they have no clue what to do with

It's going to happen eventually so just get on with it

• Like 1

The only legal gambling in Thailand!

I thought it was also legal to gamble at the horse races in Bsngkok.

...and I think I read somewhere that it was legal to gamble on the outcome of a Thai boxing match - providing you were on the premises. Could be wrong of course.

General the buy back is a good idea but augment it with a retail venue like 70-11 Get them selling the lottery tickets at 80 baht and watch all the venders quickly follow suite .

This is called "market force" and within 6 months your problem of over priced tickets will disappear .

No one will buy tickets from street venders for more that 80 baht if 7-11 is selling then for that . This is called capitalism and it works

• Like 2

the Saviour

Yes, most Farangs with brains know he is a saviour... all you liver bellied, middle of the road ,liberalist, almost evangelical Red Shirt sympathisers, pull your socks up... Prayuth is here to stay... If you don't like it...There's the <deleted> door.. Rock on Cha-o-cha..... whistling.gif

I guess you must be one of the yellow shirts. Right?????????????

General the buy back is a good idea but augment it with a retail venue like 70-11 Get them selling the lottery tickets at 80 baht and watch all the venders quickly follow suite .

This is called "market force" and within 6 months your problem of over priced tickets will disappear .

No one will buy tickets from street venders for more that 80 baht if 7-11 is selling then for that . This is called capitalism and it works

Right on man, screw the disabled sellers...I want to save myself 20 Baht...

The disabled can eat cake.Starve for all I care....

Since Thailand has solved all its other national issues there is plenty of time for the PM to be chairman of the lottery board. This must be one of Thailand's most pressing issues, considering the amount of concern the PM is showing for it.

Also it is brilliant to lower the cost of the tickets, so people who couldn't afford to throw their money away, now can. And the money earned goes towards helping these people who can't afford, or are addicted to gambling, to find a way to quit.

I think they they should lower the price even more to get even more poor people gambling so they can help them quit too.

Does anyone remember the closing scene of "Air America" with Mel Gibson and Robert Downey Jr.

Mel won the lottery and Robert was deported for rigging the lottery.

The Thai lottery has been rigged for as long as I can remember at that is 45 years but then again I believe it is rigged in every country.

the Saviour

Yes, most Farangs with brains know he is a saviour... all you liver bellied, middle of the road ,liberalist, almost evangelical Red Shirt sympathisers, pull your socks up... Prayuth is here to stay... If you don't like it...There's the <deleted> door.. Rock on Cha-o-cha..... whistling.gif

Liver bellied??????

• Like 1

the Saviour

Liver bellied??????

I was scratching my head over that one too.

Since Thailand has solved all its other national issues there is plenty of time for the PM to be chairman of the lottery board. This must be one of Thailand's most pressing issues, considering the amount of concern the PM is showing for it.

Also it is brilliant to lower the cost of the tickets, so people who couldn't afford to throw their money away, now can. And the money earned goes towards helping these people who can't afford, or are addicted to gambling, to find a way to quit.

I think they they should lower the price even more to get even more poor people gambling so they can help them quit too.

No need to lower the price, poor people have always been able to gamble on the lottery in some form.

The underground version will accept as little as 10 baht for a 2 digit number.

...and I think I read somewhere that it was legal to gamble on the outcome of a Thai boxing match - providing you were on the premises. Could be wrong of course.

Yes, betting at the track and at some boxing is allowed.

Actually, it is a very sensible idea - similar to newspaper producers buying back their copies of unsold print. They just have to ensure that the lottery ticket vendors are given a sensible amount of tickets in the first place in order to satisfy demand but not lead to over supply. They should run out of tickets at some point or just return a handful.

Why are these people so incompetent ... this issue has gone on for far too long

There is an easy solution -

1- only sell tickets thru online machines

2- stop selling en masse to wholesellers - 5 tigers

The only reason I can see that this has not been solved is that the people in power are too scared to do something

The must be too scared of the reprecussions of stopping certain peoples easy gravy train

Actually, it is a very sensible idea - similar to newspaper producers buying back their copies of unsold print. They just have to ensure that the lottery ticket vendors are given a sensible amount of tickets in the first place in order to satisfy demand but not lead to over supply. They should run out of tickets at some point or just return a handful.

Other than newspaper orgs are private companies and the GLO is Government/public money.........

Other than newspaper orgs are private companies and the GLO is Government/public money.........

But it illustrates the methodology.

Didn't the 600 billion baht lost by Yingluck come out of the public finances? I'm sure that the buy back of unsold lottery tickets won't cost that much!!

Actually, it won't cost the tax payers a single baht as all it means is that the government will make slightly less than the (not less than) 20% it currently makes and the vendors should benefit also as well as the buyers of tickets not being ripped off, so cheers all round!!.

Edited by lucky11

It's been a year and he still hasn't figured out the lottery, his number one task. thumbsup.gif

Obviously (as everyone else has mentioned), they should just sell the tickets in 7/11 etc.. makes you wonder who is making that 20 baht.

They are REFUNDING tickets that have not been sold. Where are they using ''public funds'' as you mention?

Will they refund the 80 baht they should cost, or the 120 baht they sometimes charge?

Neither , they will be refunding what the vendors paid for them .

The 80 baht price tag already includes the commission

But it illustrates the methodology.

Didn't the 600 billion baht lost by Yingluck come out of the public finances? I'm sure that the buy back of unsold lottery tickets won't cost that much!!

Actually, it won't cost the tax payers a single baht as all it means is that the government will make slightly less than the (not less than) 20% it currently makes and the vendors should benefit also as well as the buyers of tickets not being ripped off, so cheers all round!!.

No,it illustrates awful methodology, and is irrelevant to YS.

Prayut is now the new chairman of the Government Lottery Office. Does this mean he gets another salary too?

He is also Chairman of the Superboard for State Enterprises. Is that yet another paid position?

Add his salary as Chief of NCPO and as PM, Prayut not only does the work of many people but would seem to get paid as many people.

And of course this is all aside from his position as a director on a nnumber of the nation's corporate Board of Directors and military retirement.

Invoking Section 44 of the interim constitution, General Prayut Chan-ocha, in his capacity as head of the National Council for Peace and Order, ordered the sacking of the board of the Government Lottery Office and setting up a new board with him as the new chairman.

This is one sector of the government that has been plagued by corruption ... pretty much like the rest of gov. Will Prayut be any different? Is he corrupt? Of course these questions remain unanswered as Prayut, like all those in power, refuse to be transparent in their dealings.

Prayut continuously talks about eradicating corruption but it's all smoke and mirrors and nobody is every really bought to justice. Until Prayut is willing to be transparent then any effort he makes to root out corruption will fail and he'll be yet another to go down in the Thai history books as a miserable failure with unexplained excessive wealth.

Yes Mr. Article 44 stands to make a bundle.

Are not most lotteries run buy a monopoly ? The monopoly runs like a corporation running off of 10% profits then sends everything else do government coffers . Is that not the way to do it ? Why does the Thai government do it so inefficiently ? Must be Thainess.