Western Style Chinese Food

Phrafarang

I can across a magazine article about Western style Chinese food in Chiang Mai, sadly it was an old magazine and the restaurant, Panda Express Cafe, appears to be long gone. Then there were two threads on TV but the last one was from last year and the restaurant from that also seems to have fallen by the wayside. I have a serious hankering now for some Western style Chinese so if anyone knows anywhere I would really appreciate it. I don't want ducks gizzard or birds nest just the good old sweet and sour pork, deep fried crispy chilli beef and if they had Peking duck with the pancakes and hoi sin sauce that would be great.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Bkk with the FORTUNE COOKIE is what I have heard and long for as well.......just have to make do with memories I guess....or start eating chicken feet....with fish head.......

In Bkk with the FORTUNE COOKIE is what I have heard and long for as well.......just have to make do with memories I guess....or start eating chicken feet....with fish head.......

With the current Chinese invasion, gawd knows what's going to start appearing to eat!

If there had ever been any decent Western style Chinese food here, I'm pretty sure that I would have heard of it. Boy do I miss the stuff.

There was a place that was not too bad in Pattaya about 10 years ago that did British-style Chinese food. It was not too bad, but nothing like the lovely stuff available in San Francisco.

The best Chinese food I've found in this part of the world was in Singapore.

Edited by Ulysses G.

If there had ever been any decent Western style Chinese food here, I'm pretty sure that I would have heard of it. Boy do I miss the stuff.

There was a place that was not too bad in Pattaya about 10 years ago that did British-style Chinese food. It was not too bad, but nothing like the lovely stuff available in San Francisco.

On second road in Pattaya (west,sea,side) large wooden buddha (yellow wood) outside - south of Mike's - not cheap but really good

I get the impression that maybe some, possibly farang managed, restaurant is missing out on a business opportunity here

"possibly farang managed, restaurant is "

Because in the US or Europe or Asia, for example, there are so many successful farang-run Chinese restaurants and only farang could possibly run a restaurant in Thailand?

With the current Chinese invasion, gawd knows what's going to start appearing to eat!

Yes, because there have never been any Chinese in Bangkok before.

One of the most prominent ethnic groups are the Chinese, who were 75% of the city's population in 1828, which dropped to 50% by the 1950s.
Edited by Suradit69

Ha! If you like Western style "Chinese" food. God! Where are your taste buds? Once you've had the the real thing - and I'm not talking about gizzards and chicken feet and shark fins - I'm talking about quality REAL Chinese food, you'd never go back to that pretend junk.

Yes, because there have never been any Chinese in Bangkok before.

One of the most prominent ethnic groups are the Chinese, who were 75% of the city's population in 1828, which dropped to 50% by the 1950s.

Oops, I thought this was the Chiang Mai forum.

Edited by uptheos

Yes, but they put too much MSG in that stuff - that's why you're hungry about 30 minutes later.

Consider asking them to hold the MSG when you finally find what you want.

MSG is NFG - Bad stuff

Best Regardsgiggle.gif

On second road in Pattaya (west,sea,side) large wooden buddha (yellow wood) outside - south of Mike's - not cheap but really good

I have no idea what place you're talking about ... and I think I would know. gigglem.gif

I sampled about 50 Thai feline "fortune cookies" before I met the sweeter cookie

Yeh, might be time to lock up your pussy-Cat at night.

Ha! If you like Western style "Chinese" food. God! Where are your taste buds?

My taste buds are fine. I like both. I also like British style curries and Mission-style burritos. I am a big fan of quality fusion.

Same as some people like BOTH "Country" and "Western Music."

The closest thing I have come to regarding a western style Chinese meal in Chiang Mai, is the Chinese chicken curry by Curry Nights, sold in a box for 99 baht at the Rimping supermarkets.

Just shove it in the micro wave for 5 minutes, add rice and you have a very nice western style Chinese meal.

Trust me you`ll love it, and if you don`t, you have my personal guarantee that I won`t give you your money back.

An American/Chinese would never make it here. reasons:

Basically only Americans know what it is!

People are too cheap here and they would compare it to the price of local Thai food. UNLESS YOUR DUKE'S. very few question his prices.

An American/Chinese would never make it here. reasons:

Basically only Americans know what it is!

People are too cheap here and they would compare it to the price of local Thai food. UNLESS YOUR DUKE'S. very few question his prices.

that wasn't the question. the question is does a restaurant like that exist here

ABCs we used t call them in Australia - Australian born Chinese run restaurants. Comfort food. But I liked the authentic variety such as really good Szechuans.

Surely there must be a little hole in the wall establishment in Chiang Mai that the aficionados are keeping quiet about?

Come on, spill it.

Ha! If you like Western style "Chinese" food. God! Where are your taste buds?

My taste buds are fine. I like both. I also like British style curries and Mission-style burritos. I am a big fan of quality fusion.

Calling food from China Chinese, is like calling food from France, Germany, Italy etc, European. My wife is from China. Each region has a slew of delicious dishes that might be hard to find in any of the larger Chinatown's of the West. I know when we ate in Chinatown of San Diego and LA 2 years ago, we found the several meals we had to be average tasting. We just came back spending time in Yunnan and the city of Hangzhou. The food was a lot nicer and tastier than I ever had in NYC's Chinatown.

The centre of gastronomic delight is Britain! The Thais here can't cook Thai food like in England; the Chinese food here is not a patch on the stuff you can eat in UK. The same is true of Indian curries - I lived near Burnley/Bradford/Manchester and can't get proper stuff in Pattaya.

Wouw what a lot of useful reply's again !!

Shang Hai Lo does a good job with European styled Chinese food.

Located on Mahidon Rd. just a few hundred meters over the bridge driving west towards the airport.

Hong Kong noodles on Chiang Mai land is not bad also.

Good luck.

Yep, nearly opposite Chiang Mai land,i think it's just before an orangey colour building and a mirrored building, look out for a red and white sign on the Mahidol rd, not the best iv'e had but certainly better than nothing !

Located on Mahidon Rd. just a few hundred meters over the bridge driving west towards the airport.

Good luck.

Yep, nearly opposite Chiang Mai land,i think it's just before an orangey colour building and a mirrored building, look out for a red and white sign on the Mahidol rd, not the best iv'e had but certainly better than nothing !

What if you're colour blind? biggrin.png

Good luck.

What if you're colour blind? biggrin.png

Then KFC is just down the road biggrin.png

Edited by alfieconn

To answer my own question, i just found a review of this place, Hong Kong Lucky cafe, in this months Citylife. Its trip adviser reviews say it's a great place and one reviewer thinks its as good as the Chinese food he has had in Frisco. Has anyone tried it yet and is it worth the trip?

To answer my own question, i just found a review of this place, Hong Kong Lucky cafe, in this months Citylife. Its trip adviser reviews say it's a great place and one reviewer thinks its as good as the Chinese food he has had in Frisco. Has anyone tried it yet and is it worth the trip?

It's on Nimman Soi 7.

Might drop in next time I'm in the area.