Thailand assures U.S. of serious efforts in combating human trafficking

webfact

Thailand assures U.S. of serious efforts in combating human trafficking

BANGKOK, 6 May 2015 (NNT) – Thai Justice Minister Gen. Phaitun Khumchaya and a U.S. charg? d'affaires have met to discuss many issues including Thailand’s crack down on human trafficking.

Deputy Permanent Secretary for Justice Chanchai Chaiyanukit said U.S. Charg? d'Affaires Patrick Murphy and his entourage on Wednesday met with Thai Justice Minister Gen. Phaitun Khumchaya and the ministry’s executives to discuss cooperation in various fields.

The minister asked the charge d’affaires to support Thailand’s operations to prevent and combat narcotic drugs at the Golden Triangle. He also explained the country’s measures against human trafficking to the U.S. envoy, saying the Thai government was tackling the problem seriously, the deputy permanent secretary said.

The minister told the U.S. envoy that Thailand was amending many laws to in line with international standards and with respect to human rights, Mr. Chanchai added.

The U.S. envoy understood that Thailand was in the transition period and on its road map to a general election, the deputy permanent secretary said.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-05-06 footer_n.gif

Just read the Reuters report, offiicials totally involved and profitting by selling people to the gangs. Sanctions should be applied straight away and police jailed. Disgusting so called Buddhists. The world should shun them

This is a connected digital world and slavery has no place in it at all. Things that were ignored and accepted as somehow normal in the past, are now on full display for all to see. And if you see something evil, and do nothing, you become equal to it.

Words and assurances are always comforting to hear, but it is hard to feel soothed by this, unless there is serious action being taken daily by those in power to banish this barbaric trade to the most sorrowful pages of history.

Edited by Yunla

And if you see something evil, and do nothing, you become equal to it.

I don't know about you, but I suspect many of the reported "insurgent" murders down south are really people who stumbled upon evil and had to be silenced.

If I see something evil of this magnitude, I'll report it when I get safely out of the country.

Which is why I forgive the innocent people who don't have the luxury of leaving the country, for keeping their mouths shut in the face of this evil.

And if you see something evil, and do nothing, you become equal to it.

I don't know about you, but I suspect many of the reported "insurgent" murders down south are really people who stumbled upon evil and had to be silenced.

If I see something evil of this magnitude, I'll report it when I get safely out of the country.

Which is why I forgive the innocent people who don't have the luxury of leaving the country, for keeping their mouths shut in the face of this evil.

Yes, I totally agree. If you are a normal person in the street, you have to think about your family first, and you can't support them if you get yourself into trouble with mafia types.

I think my "see evil" line was more relating to those in positions where real action can be applied, laws passed and crackdowns ordered and soforth. I think power is not just about nice cars and such, it is about responsibility and making honourable decisions. Using the power to make life better for everyone, no matter how poor they are or where they were born. Slavery doesn't exist because we somehow need it, it exists because of greed.

I think there's a sort of underclass sweet-spot somewhere inbetween the failed 1990's UK benefits royalty class, where the poor yet able-bodied were basically paid money for nothing, and the other extreme where the poor yet able-bodied are put into slavery and killed. Somewhere between those examples lies a good place, where they can work basic jobs for a fair wage, and fair conditions.

How credible are any of the new laws concerning trafficking when they are created by a military junta whose invocation of Article 44 supercedes people's rights and liberties, who holds itself ABOVE THE LAW, and immunity from any PROSECUTION for its actions?

The USA should look to evidence of convictions of key trafficking organizers before it relaxes its pressure on Thailand. It has no reason to trust the junta for any of its intentions.

How credible are any of the new laws concerning trafficking when they are created by a military junta whose invocation of Article 44 supercedes people's rights and liberties, who holds itself ABOVE THE LAW, and immunity from any PROSECUTION for its actions?

The USA should look to evidence of convictions of key trafficking organizers before it relaxes its pressure on Thailand. It has no reason to trust the junta for any of its intentions.

Perhaps the US is more wary of what Thai governments say after all the lies PTP told.

Now, as Yingluck's FB writers claimed "her" government made in roads on trafficking, perhaps you'd like to tell us exactly what they did, what they achieved, and how many people were prosecuted and convicted during their nearly 3 years in office.

PTP gone, Junta government in. Get over it. More chance they'll actually do something than all the Thaksin regimes that did SFA.

Maybe the Thais asked the US charge d'affaires when democracy was going to be re-instated in the usa?

Oh, zing! Burn! You really got 'em there.

We're all very happy you signed up for yet another "ghost" TV nick to troll the boards. Well done, sir!