Vertriding

Since mountain biking has become mainstream, it has split into an amazing number of sub-disciplines, such as cross-country, downhill, trials, four cross, dual slalom, dirt jumping, slopestyle and whatnot. One discipline that is not very well know is vertriding, actually some would say it isn't really a discipline. It's basically riding on steep and difficult terrain in alpine and subalpine environments. Technically it's between DH and trials and in Austria and in Germany it's also referred to as "Stolperbiking". It's probably unknown in Thailand, because there is very little alpine terrain here, but I wonder whether people in other countries are riding mountain trails.

Some examples:

Cheers, CM-Expat

Wow. We just took our bikes to the woods and rode whatever we found.

Unless the route was just plain stupid... We walked our bikes over that part.

Of course, none of us had sponsors, or a Youtube following.

nice but hardly new.....was done 20 years ago i Austria

Elite guys like Hans Rey were doing this type of thing for sure. But I think even he would admit that the bikes and the terrain being ridden has moved on. A lot.

nice but hardly new.....was done 20 years ago i Austria

Elite guys like Hans Rey were doing this type of thing for sure. But I think even he would admit that the bikes and the terrain being ridden has moved on. A lot.

The bikes for sure, but the terrain didn't change unless they discovered some new mountains. We used mountainbikes to go where it is not possible and tried but didn't have fancy words for it. no marketing but same thing. Always in the Alps people tried to climb up with the MTB.

what a hoot!! clap2.gif

and here I am, having been all along thinking how adventurous I was - in finding the steepest smooth sealed road, and overtaking some dude's Toyota Corolla, at 76kmh in a 60 Zone...

at least he had a helmet on

Edited by tifino

what a hoot!! clap2.gif

and here I am, having been all along thinking how adventurous I was - in finding the steepest smooth sealed road, and overtaking some dude's Toyota Corolla, at 76kmh in a 60 Zone...

at least he had a helmet on

In the Alps you can get over 100 km/h. Unfortunately my Trek bike doesn't feel as good at high speed. Not sure if it is me or the frame geometry.

I could overtake a motorbike club down the Grossklockner. (actually a true wonder that I survived my youth).