Why do some members start topics and then never come back to it?

rawhod

Sometimes people who are in a vulnerable phase of their life are posting, seeking guidance for personal problems. I tend to admire their courage, exposing themselves so much in a public forum. But then the keyboard tigers pounce on them mercilessly, and soon they withdraw into their shell.

A number of off topic posts removed.

FYI the lack of notification on quote is a forum bug, hopefully to be fixed in the next release.

Back on-topic - I agree, it's particularly frustrating when, having taken the time to detail a reply the OP never returns, we don't know if he solved the issue or what :(

FYI the lack of notification on quote is a forum bug, hopefully to be fixed in the next release.

Back on-topic - I agree, it's particularly frustrating when, having taken the time to detail a reply the OP never returns, we don't know if he solved the issue or what sad.png

This could well be the reason. By the time the person who made the OP has come back and reads thru the replies the topic has nothing to do with what he/she started.

What exactly do you mean by "come back"?

I am notified of any replies to my post, or any that I have commented on, via my email and can read them there.

Yes, if I need to reply to a reply I must log in to TV to do so,

But many times, input, reaction, or advise is all I want, and get that just fine from my email account, without ever actually going t the original thread again.

I am notified of any replies to my post, or any that I have commented on, via my email and can read them there.

But many times, input, reaction, or advise is all I want, and get that just fine from my email account, without ever actually going t the original thread again.

If you walked up to someone, asked them for help, or information, they answered you, would you then just ignore them and turn your back and walk away ? No, I would hope not as that would be very ignorant and rude. Why should a forum be any different.

In my opinion its reasonable and good manners to at least acknowledge the replies or response you get to your question, especially if it has helped you in some way.

A brief 'thanks' is always appreciated or perhaps a follow up with further issues or information that may be useful to others.

None of us gets paid for doing this so a positive stroke or a like is our only reward.

Many years ago I would start topics when I had drunk a few to many Chang's.

I would remember the following morning that had started a stupid topic and be too shameful to read the replies.

I now remember my golden rule "don't post anything if I have been drinking". That has kept me warning free for many a year now.....but maybe the fact that I no longer drink has helped too LoL

If you walked up to someone, asked them for help, or information, they answered you, would you then just ignore them and turn your back and walk away ? No, I would hope not as that would be very ignorant and rude. Why should a forum be any different.

In my opinion its reasonable and good manners to at least acknowledge the replies or response you get to your question, especially if it has helped you in some way.

Sorry...

I should have mentioned that I will thank individual posters who provide good information or advice.

Usually when I feel I have received enough pertinent replies and people who don't read other's replies start repeating the same information,

I will post a general reply thanking those who did help and even suggest to the "TV power people" that it is a good time to close the thread.

They almost never do.

Then I will start ignoring the topic.

depends on the question - If i asked someone the time I'd maybe just say cheers and walk off.......writing it down would be a hassle....

For some the time window may have finished and the post is no longer relevant

To others the discussion=may get side tracked or over aggressive.

Some people are simply not happy with writing things down...especially in public and would rather just sit back and observe.

There are several posters on TV who really do not have the ability to write a coherent answer and it would be wonderful if they didn't follow up on any of the threads!

Edited by cumgranosalum

A brief 'thanks' is always appreciated or perhaps a follow up with further issues or information that may be useful to others.

None of us gets paid for doing this so a positive stroke or a like is our only reward.

Yes, no one gets paid for replying.

Some reply just for the gratification of writing down their own thoughts..no matter how bizarre.

How often do you read replies that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic, or those who try to morph any topic into one that is about their own interests and not those of the OP?

No one is paid to reply and also no one is required to reply.

Post removed

10) Do not discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy.

Back on-topic - I agree, it's particularly frustrating when, having taken the time to detail a reply the OP never returns, we don't know if he solved the issue or what sad.png

BTW, when is the next release scheduled - this is a very inconvenient bug? I hope I can remember to return to this thread to check your answerbiggrin.png

Edited by MZurf

Precisely..

Correct...just good manners.

Well said "Crossy"...

As always, a prompt and considered reply from you.

(ps. we used one of your posted free plans for our house and we are well pleased. I may get round to posting an "our build" topic sometime

Usually +1 for the ignore list.

Lets wait what @rawhod thinks about the answers laugh.png

At first, I thought about "not coming back"...

...but then having received so many good answers, thought better of it.

I find it so frustrating when reading a long thread to find that the OP never comes back with additional information, a comment or a thank you, when members take the time and trouble to reply to their original post.

So...thank you.