Fatal crash prompts road cleaning near Central Pattaya Underpass Construction Site

webfact

Fatal crash prompts road cleaning near Central Pattaya Underpass Construction Site

sand-3.jpg

PATTAYA: -- On Monday a team of 10 street cleaners, employed by the construction company involved in the Central Pattaya Underpass project, removed sand from the road, close to where a 36 year old man was killed in a road crash on Sunday Night.

We spoke with Khun Lumyai aged 42 who said she was in-charge of the street cleaners. She also claimed the team would clean the roads on a daily basis, a claim which was refuted by shop owners who claimed they would only clean the pavements but would rarely clean the roads. The sand did appear compacted on the road and it was suggested this indicated it had been there for some time.

Shop Owners and nearby residents are also claiming to be suffering from health problems due to the dust generated by the construction site and have sought assistance from Pattaya City Hall who have so far ignored their complaints, according to those we have spoken to.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/192790/fatal-crash-prompts-road-cleaning-near-central-pattaya-underpass-construction-site/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-05-12

More decades ago than I care to remember my ex-wife and I moved to a newly built house in an estate still under development and there was a worker on almost permanent duty with a hose cleaning the road as trucks were leaving the site after delivery because mud and crap on the road attracted fines.

Needless to say it wasn't in LoS.

More decades ago than I care to remember my ex-wife and I moved to a newly built house in an estate still under development and there was a worker on almost permanent duty with a hose cleaning the road as trucks were leaving the site after delivery because mud and crap on the road attracted fines.

They do just that same thing on many construction sites IN LOS.

Yes, they were doing just that at the site on Soi 15 near Soi Buakow. Good to see the construction site manager doing the right thing.

Change "many" to "some" and I might agree with you. Yes, it is better than a quarter of a century ago, but only by a small degree and nowhere near good enough. There is still way too much construction mud and detritus on the roads, and way too many hazards for riders to negotiate. Leaving aside the poor motoring skills in this country, the biggest hazards for riders are road obstacles from construction vehicles and construction sites, followed by poor road management.

'Shop Owners and nearby residents are also claiming to be suffering from health problems due to the dust generated by the construction site ...' No surprise there. Construction workers, whether large sites or small jobs, gaily drill, cut and sand everything from wood to stone, in the open, and in total ignorance of the dangers of dust particles, both on their health and, more importantly, on that of residents and passers-by.

I recently spent a few days in hospital, courtesy of pneumonia, where nurses told my wife that people suffering from dust-generated illnesses were regular visitors. Perhaps the government could take the problem onboard and initiate better safety standards, training and enforcement.