At least 60,000 Shiites protecting Baghdad against IS

webfact

At Least 60,000 Shiites Protecting Baghdad Against ISIL

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – Up to 60,000 Shiite militiamen are deployed in the Iraqi capital to protect the city from ISIL, as the extremists are stepping up their offensive, the Erbil-based Rudaw reports.

"Experts believe sending Shiite fighters into Ramadi puts Baghdad at major risk, but it is not true because up to 60,000 fighters of Hashd al-Shaabi [shiite Popular Mobilization Units] are inside Baghdad now," the online newspaper quotes the Security Committee of Baghdad Provincial Council as saying in a Tuesday statement.

According to the committee only five percent of Shiite forces have been sent to Ramadi, a city in central Iraq captured by ISIL on Sunday.

Full story: http://sputniknews.com/middleeast/20150520/1022348304.html

-- SPUTNIK 2015-05-20

Where is the mighty, big mouth Iranians army when you need them to fight the Sunni ISIS?

Wouldn't mind to see them both going head to head and see some blood spilled there

but this time for a good cause... best of luck to both sides...

I feel sorry for the poor people of Ramadi now living under the control of these medieval monsters. You can be sure the mainstream Western press will not bother to let us know about the atrocities going on : might cause some anti-Muslim sentiment. Better people don't know.

Any comments from the USA haters here ?. It's because of people like you they are being left alone to be slaughtered.

I expect you blame them for ISIS too. Poor, innocent Muslims pushed over the edge by American corporations eh ?.

I feel sorry for the poor people of Ramadi now living under the control of these medieval monsters. You can be sure the mainstream Western press will not bother to let us know about the atrocities going on : might cause some anti-Muslim sentiment. Better people don't know.

Any comments from the USA haters here ?. It's because of people like you they are being left alone to be slaughtered.

I expect you blame them for ISIS too. Poor, innocent Muslims pushed over the edge by American corporations eh ?.

Hate to break it to you sparky , but the whole mess is a result of US doing, invading Iraq and helping to remove Assad in Syria

Hate to break it to you sparky , but the whole mess is a result of US doing, invading Iraq and helping to remove Assad in Syria

Well I'm glad you cleared that up. All this time I thought it was that notorious Muhammad video on YouTube.

Well I'm glad you cleared that up. All this time I thought it was that notorious Muhammad video on YouTube.

Yes, video invaded Iraq and video supplied weapons to rebels in Syriathumbsup.gif

Direct blame can be put on the US and its allies for this. They started or supported wars they couldn't finish. Guess what? It's now in your own back yards. Western Foreign Policy has done nothing but create chaos and death in the middle east and a police state at home. Well done!

What I'm getting at is that the Bush's, Obama's, Blair's and Cameron's of politics are as bad or worse as the people they sought to overthrow.

Stop buying into it!

Edited by Local Drunk

What happens if they take Baghdad?

I was going to do a top-10 list. But, hey, (in the immortal words of Nigel Tufnel) eleven is "one louder"!

1) There will be a huge marshmallow roast at the fabulously expensive [ex] U.S. Embassy.

2) Bush gets blamed ... again.

3) Someone will probably have to collect 60,000 dropped AK 47s.

4) The great Obama air campaign will have to switch to B-52s.

5) The"Green Zone" be renamed to the "Red Zone".

6) The Iraq Museum will be permanently closed due to a severe dearth of artifacts.

7) Baghdad's "Population" sign will have to be adjusted drastically downwards.

8) Armed people will be going door-to-door but they won't be looking for WMDs this time.

9) Obama will get the sudden urge for a round of golf.

10) Most casualties will be from the stampede to the city limits and beyond.

11) ISIS receives a Nobel Peace Prize.

Edited by MaxYakov

They removed Assad in Syria? That's news to me. Somebody might want to tell him as well.