Phuket lucky number plate auction raises B20m

webfact

Substance.

Has road safety improved?

Has traffic law enforcement improved?

Has driver education improved?

Has the number of vehicle related fatalities and injuries fallen?

Substantiate that to prove it isn't just a money making scam.

From the OP:

"Money raised from the annual auction goes to the Department of Land Transport’s Traffic Safety Foundation, which provides support for road accident victims such as buying artificial legs and wheelchairs."

Nothing to do with any of the points you raised.

If the money was used to make sure that all the buses on the island were properly maintained (like the brakes working) and the drivers were properly trained in their job, there would be a drastic drop in the demand of wheelchairs and artificial limbs.

That is my point.

Is that concept beyond you?

They are buying bandages to strap the wound, taking the knife away would be better.

Edited by Thaddeus

Substance.

Has road safety improved?

Has traffic law enforcement improved?

Has driver education improved?

Has the number of vehicle related fatalities and injuries fallen?

Substantiate that to prove it isn't just a money making scam.

From the OP:

"Money raised from the annual auction goes to the Department of Land Transport’s Traffic Safety Foundation, which provides support for road accident victims such as buying artificial legs and wheelchairs."

Nothing to do with any of the points you raised.

If the money was used to make sure that all the buses on the island were properly maintained (like the brakes working) and the drivers were properly trained in their job, there would be a drastic drop in the demand of wheelchairs and artificial limbs.

That is my point.

Is that concept beyond you?

They are buying bandages to strap the wound, taking the knife away would be better.

No, that concept is not beyond me, but part of the daily work of the DLT.

This is a bandage with a specific purpose, which should be kept that way and separate from the daily DLT work IMO.

It seems to me that there is only one person who does not appreciate the benefit of such auctions.

For the rest...

- The ones who take part in the auction are happy to help the society, and at the same time have a nice plate to put on their nice car.

- Many persons with special needs, following road accidents, receive help.

- The department of transport is happy to raise funds.

- The province is happy to promote itself, since these special plates are designed with local artists, and depict local important sites.

- The people are happy to see nice cars with nice plates around the city.

In fact, everybody is winning, but only some jealous farangs seem to dislike these (and all other) types of events. Strange...

I like this picture of a few cars that "helped the society"... (5555,1111,8888,7777) (For the anecdote, 7777 was the most expensive).

post-12654-14331544464331_thumb.jpg

Edited by gerry1011