Owning a car in Pattaya Why?

flyingsaucersarereal

That's the reason I'm in Thailand, because I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere. I don't live in BKK where I have to sit in traffic jams for hours, if I arrive 15 minutes later in my pickup than I would on a bike, who cares. At least I arrive with both legs still intact and my brain still inside my head.

You see thats where you have the problem, you have brains to protect.................Others just wear crash helmets to keep them in one place before the Cremation.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there guys so with the traffic situation in Pattaya I just can't justify purchasing a car.

Why would anyone own a car unless they have a very specific need?

Maybe I would use it twice a month to go shopping for groceries.

Can't park it easily without paying for parking.

If it rains I guess it would be nice but even then it floods so fast you can't drive it through the deep water.

I would much rather not have to pay for something I rarely use.

With my motorcycle I can get everywhere fast and park easily far better then a car in my opinion.

If I lived in the western world a car would make total sense but over here in this traffic madness just seems like a pain.

You're wrong on so many levels here. To answer your questions.

1. I own a car because I want to avoid getting injured or killed , I don't want to end up in the statistics of another "farang bike accident".

2. I go shopping 3 times a week, I need my fresh fruit and veggies and some western food. When I finished the shopping I leave the bags in the car and relax , maybe have a cup of coffee.

3. Yes you can park your car easily, and it's free most places unlike in Europe where you have to pay just to exist. Its free parking at Big C, Tesco, Foodland, and Friendship if you show the receipt.

4. Flooding can sometimes be a problem but you need to know when to drive , some days you just stay home.

5. I use my car and I can afford it, besides if you're on LPG it's very cheap to drive.

6. Yes you can park almost anywhere with a bike, sometimes I have to look for a parking spot but thats part of the fun for me.

7. For me it makes sense to drive a car, both in the western world and Thailand. Yes the traffic can be really bad but its up to you how to handle it.

Hi there guys so with the traffic situation in Pattaya I just can't justify purchasing a car.

If it rains I guess it would be nice but even then it floods so fast you can't drive it through the deep water.

With my motorcycle I can get everywhere fast and park easily far better then a car in my opinion.

If I lived in the western world a car would make total sense but over here in this traffic madness just seems like a pain.

1. I own a car because I want to avoid getting injured or killed , I don't want to end up in the statistics of another "farang bike accident".

2. I go shopping 3 times a week, I need my fresh fruit and veggies and some western food. When I finished the shopping I leave the bags in the car and relax , maybe have a cup of coffee.

3. Yes you can park your car easily, and it's free most places unlike in Europe where you have to pay just to exist. Its free parking at Big C, Tesco, Foodland, and Friendship if you show the receipt.

4. Flooding can sometimes be a problem but you need to know when to drive , some days you just stay home.

5. I use my car and I can afford it, besides if you're on LPG it's very cheap to drive.

6. Yes you can park almost anywhere with a bike, sometimes I have to look for a parking spot but thats part of the fun for me.

7. For me it makes sense to drive a car, both in the western world and Thailand. Yes the traffic can be really bad but its up to you how to handle it.

With regards to your first point I'm sure I remember reading in one of your posts that you are a cyclist?

Why do you consider using a motorbike is more dangerous than a bicycle?

Edited by Asiantravel

With regards to your first point I'm sure I remember reading in one of your posts that you are a cyclist?

Why do you consider using a motorbike is more dangerous than a bicycle?

You're right, I do own a bicycle and I do exercise with it . But only from my home which is a few hundred meters from beach road. The traffic is less intense and I ride my bicycle very slowly so I feel its much safer than any motorbike , especially when I avoid the main roads completely. Accidents can happen anywhere I guess , but I try to minimize the risks so you will never find me on a motorbike in Thailand.

Edited by balo

Not everybody is old or stupid enough to do nothing all day. so we need a car.

And yes, we prefer a car than a bike because we want to keep our legs: dying is nothing but being handicapped would be terrible, maybe not for you it seems ?

I always had big bikes in the west but in Thailand where I could even afford a full time driver I am not going to risk any part of my body (except willy sometimes :-) )

But I understand that people with kids don't care to die or be handicapped because THEY ENJOY THEIR BIKE SOOO MUUUCCHHHH and it's so important to their life !

Interesting no one has said anything about my point about staying out of the sun- a bike ( unless you are covered up - or only go to meet fellow creatures of the night ) is a no no.

Many of us ( me included) used to think a deep tan was the height of fashion- now any doctor will tell you it's something to be avoided.

It's seems a badge of honour amongst some guys living here to be darker than the indigenous population - mad - buy a car.

Interesting no one has said anything about my point about staying out of the sun- a bike ( unless you are covered up - or only go to meet fellow creatures of the night ) is a no no.

Many of us ( me included) used to think a deep tan was the height of fashion- now any doctor will tell you it's something to be avoided.

It's seems a badge of honour amongst some guys living here to be darker than the indigenous population - mad - buy a car.

I use the bike to get around in Pattaya, but it's never enough to get a tan !

This must be a topic just for the sake of a topic, bored are we?

It all depends, we have a truck in the household, we go place in it, been to Bangkok a couple of times and Koh Chang and super bike race in Buri Ram.

Handy when you got a kid, pack the truck and go.

Hate driving it down town and only doing some shopping in it 2 times a week but drives the little guy to/from school every day as I don't want him killed on the scooter on Sukhumvit road.

Take my big bike for rides alone, love the rides, freedom big time.

I am sure many people in New York don't have/need a car either but I saw a crazy amount of cars when I was there many many years ago and they were not all yellow caps.

The worst examples I see in Pattaya , and this is a daily phenomenon , a farang on the older side riding a bike with his thai wife/gf and a small kid. None of them wear any helmets, if they do it's probably cheap Big C helmets that will not protect them in accidents. And they are speeding up Sukhumvit like they own the road and no worries about anything ,

I just want to yell at them from my car, stupid idiots but what can you do , so many foreigners that left their brain at home , we can't stop Thais from doing it but when foreigners adopt their style and no protection it's just so stupid .

Add alcohol and poor driving skills to it and we have accidents coming up every week.

Edited by balo

I can't agree with you more. I lived in Pattaya for many years and not once do I recall wanting to purchase a car. But many times I recall passing a line-up of cars waiting for a traffic light, on my motorbike, and happy to get to the front of the line.

Agree a car would be handy for major shopping, but a tuk-tuk drivers is always close by and happy to take things for us, anywhere in the city. for 200 Baht or less. But my Thai Wife never ceases to amaze me on how much she can carry on our small motor bike. I wonder what the Guinness's World Records is for that? Which I am sure was won from someone in Nigeria, or possibly India. But for anything large we just had it delivered.

For out-of-town travel we usually take a bus or taxi to the Bangkok Airport and fly-out from there. A taxi, when I go along with the wife. Bus, if she goes by herself. Which the cost to get their is cheaper than Paid Parking at the Airport and you get dropped off at the front door.

I do understand that many people live in a compound in a suburb on the outskirts of the city, which may justify owning a car, but I still think you could get by with a motor bike in most cases. But living on a Farm in a Village is different, and you pretty well need a truck to get by.

Whilst for some people it may be true that you don't NEED a car surely if you can afford it then why not. It's obviously useful to have the car available for the times when it's convenient. I don't do a big mileage so from a purely financial perspective it's not sensible to own a car but hey if you have the money then go for it. No point struggling around town and then dying with a few million in the bank.

Agree a car would be handy for major shopping, but a tuk-tuk drivers is always close by and happy to take things for us, anywhere in the city. for 200 Baht or less. But my Thai Wife never ceases to amaze me on how much she can carry on our small motor bike.

Another point of differentiation.

A lot of us don't have a Thai wife to smooth things out, hold onto stuff while we're steering the scooter, get big parcels delivered (and to the right place) and convince a tuk tuk to take us anywhere for 200 baht or less.

Agree a car would be handy for major shopping, but a tuk-tuk drivers is always close by and happy to take things for us, anywhere in the city. for 200 Baht or less. But my Thai Wife never ceases to amaze me on how much she can carry on our small motor bike.

A lot of us don't have a Thai wife to smooth things out, hold onto stuff while we're steering the scooter, get big parcels delivered (and to the right place) and convince a tuk tuk to take us anywhere for 200 baht or less.

Try finding a tuk tuk to take you anywhere from the dark side. Good luck with that.

Try finding a tuk tuk to take you anywhere from the dark side. Good luck with that.

Apart from private ones owned by Hotels I haven't seen a tuk tuk in Pattaya, also with the price he quoted I believe he's from BKK but of course could be wrong.

Apart from private ones owned by Hotels I haven't seen a tuk tuk in Pattaya, also with the price he quoted I believe he's from BKK but of course could be wrong.

I think GOLDBUGGY made a perfectly reasonable post. But his post also points out differences in people's situations that makes auto ownership more necessary for some than for others. Thai wives and Thai families do change the equations of being...

There's other guys posting that they own a scooter and a car, and use the scooter the vast majority of the time. Again, perfectly reasonable, and good information for anyone contemplating purchasing a car.

I have had to many friends crippled and killed on motorbikes in Thailand. Some of them extremely skilful drivers.

Its car for me all the time. Comfort, Safety plenty of free parking and I enjoy the challenges of driving on Thailand's horrendous roads.

Also Police pull you over fewer times.

If I was a drinker I would use public transport.

I have known roughly the same number of people killed/injured while in a car or on a motorbike. It's all about how you drive them.

When the police are pulling over/checking cars on Sukhumvit I wizz by on my motorcycle. Not been stopped by police for years. Had one who wandered over to me at a red light and asked if I had a license, said yes (true), light went green, he told me to proceed. Keep to the rules, wear a helmet, don't overload the bike and the police seem to leave you alone.

For me, 30 years Pattaya and ride my motorcycle every day, sometimes even as far as Trat. Result, broke collar bone once when I hit a rock at the edge of the road where I was forced by an car.

Everybody has stories to tell. There is no right answer. Up to the individual.

I think GOLDBUGGY made a perfectly reasonable post.

How do you figure his post was "reasonable" when there are no tuk tuks in Pattaya, and even if you substitute taxi of baht bus for tuk tuk, you still would have a hard job finding one when you need to go somewhere, especially from the dark side.

I think GOLDBUGGY made a perfectly reasonable post.

How do you figure his post was "reasonable" when there are no tuk tuks in Pattaya, and even if you substitute taxi of baht bus for tuk tuk, you still would have a hard job finding one when you need to go somewhere, especially from the dark side.

And especially for 200 baht. Rip Off Mafia from outside The Avenue to South Pattaya (just off Ko Pai) want 250-300 baht. I would hate to think what they would quote from Central Pattaya to The Darkside.

Hello!

If you live in Pattaya and you are " single " ( highly recommended ...) You don't need a car or a motorbike! There is no reason apart from being just " bloody lazy " why you can't walk everywhere.If it's a distance of 3 KM or less then just walk.It's also very good for you,it's safer and you get a lovely tan and stops you from looking " hideously white & fat " ....

C.S biggrin.png x

thanks for that great advice thumbsup.gif

in future i will walk the 11km from my home to BPH to see my cardiologist making a stop at km3, km6 and km9. looking forward to get a lovely tan and a healthy heart. on the way back i'll make a detour via Naklua looking for you to kick your hideous àss tongue.png

I have had to many friends crippled and killed on motorbikes in Thailand. Some of them extremely skilful drivers.

Its car for me all the time. Comfort, Safety plenty of free parking and I enjoy the challenges of driving on Thailand's horrendous roads.

I have known roughly the same number of people killed/injured while in a car or on a motorbike. It's all about how you drive them.

For me, 30 years Pattaya and ride my motorcycle every day, sometimes even as far as Trat. Result, broke collar bone once when I hit a rock at the edge of the road where I was forced by an car.

Traffic fatality statistics are published on the order of deaths per billion km traveled. If you were to add your experience to the experience of about 1,000 other riders this year, you still wouldn't have enough data to draw any conclusions.

The people who have done that kind of analysis tell us that riding a 2 wheeler is 20-40 times as dangerous as driving a car. It's still minuscule on a per km basis, but the danger is real because no matter how good we are (or think we are) we share the roads with others...

Traffic fatality statistics are published on the order of deaths per billion km traveled. If you were to add your experience to the experience of about 1,000 other riders this year, you still wouldn't have enough data to draw any conclusions.

The people who have done that kind of analysis tell us that riding a 2 wheeler is 20-40 times as dangerous as driving a car. It's still minuscule on a per km basis, but the danger is real because no matter how good we are (or think we are) we share the roads with others...

I watch the Thai news with my partner every morning, and the amount of graphic motorcycle accidents shown every day is just horrific, and these are only the ones they find newsworthy. Most caused by speeding or drunk car/truck drivers and where the motorcycle didn't stand a chance because the car driver rear ended them or ran a red light.

When the police are pulling over/checking cars on Sukhumvit I wizz by on my motorcycle. Not been stopped by police for years. Had one who wandered over to me at a red light and asked if I had a license, said yes (true), light went green, he told me to proceed. Keep to the rules, wear a helmet, don't overload the bike and the police seem to leave you alone.

Everybody has stories to tell. There is no right answer. Up to the individual.

It's the complete opposite in Pattaya. They never check cars here , only motobikes. Inside my car I can only watch all the bikes they stop at every police check point , fining them for not wearing helmets or speeding etc.

I feel like I'm VIP or something in my car, they just never stop me LOL. And I drive a cheap Nissan.

Another reason to own a car , not a bike in Pattaya.

Edited by balo

) I think it also depends a lot on the rider.

Well at least it does until it doesn't...

Me: Broken collarbone, skull-fracture, eight broken ribs a couple hundred stitches and the tattoo on my upper arm removed.

Him: nothing

Who's fault was it? When you're on the bike, it doesn't really matter who's fault it is.

) I think it also depends a lot on the rider.

Well at least it does until it doesn't...

Me: Broken collarbone, skull-fracture, eight broken ribs a couple hundred stitches and the tattoo on my upper arm removed.

Him: nothing

Who's fault was it? When you're on the bike, it doesn't really matter who's fault it is.

Sure it does depend on the rider for a large part but some things you just can't avoid.

And your right on the bike it does not matter who's fault it is.

Did you ever ride again after that accident ?

Well it's not just about having money! even with " loads of money " i would still take a stroll now and again from Naklua to Jomtien ( immigration ) it's rather pleasant in fact ( it wouldn't even enter my mind of catching a baht bus or risking my life on a motorbike ) a nice Kenny Lynch suntan and a bottle of water and you feel " bright and dandy " ...... x

C.S thumbsup.gif

Well it's not just about having money! even with " loads of money " i would still take a stroll now and again from Naklua to Jomtien ( immigration ) it's rather pleasant in fact ( it wouldn't even enter my mind of catching a baht bus or risking my life on a motorbike ) a nice Kenny Lynch suntan and a bottle of water and you feel " bright and dandy " ...... x

C.S thumbsup.gif

true! i never feel more bright and dandy than on those weekends when i walk from Pattaya to Bangkok to savour a beer and take a look at the fair maidens in Soi Cowboy.

crazy.gif