How to figure out the baht bus route?

Hal65

Let's say I'm on 2nd road and want a baht bus that'll turn right on Central Pattaya Road (towards the Big C) instead of heading all the way up to N. Pattaya Rd.

How can I tell which one will make the turn? They all look the same to me.

I see. Seems a bit strange they operate that way. Are there any other signs to look out for, such as the driver staying on the right lane even before being flagged down?

I see. Seems a bit strange they operate that way. Are there any other signs to look out for, such as the driver staying on the right lane even before being flagged down?

Yes you can look for signs like that. If you really want to get more systematic there are about 10 buses that take that route regularly/daily.

If you were keep a running list of the bus numbers that make that right turn, 2nd to Klang then you can take some of the chance and randomness out.

Those same buses also park on other side of Klang from big C

Edited by morrobay

Yes you can look for signs like that. If you really want to get more systematic there are about 10 buses that take that route regularly/daily.

If you were keep a running list of the bus numbers that make that right turn, 2nd to Klang then you can take some of the chance and randomness out.

Those same buses also park on other side of Klang from big C

Yeah, but both tourists and locals need something more straight-forward. Is a color code system or some differentiator that difficult?

It shouldn't be tricky to figure out the correct bus when you need to get somewhere.

Edited by 4evermaat

If you were to know which ones you most likely would be waiting some time for one of them to come along. As you may know there is a stand a bit east of 2nd on Klang to transfer to. I think most that make that turn then turn south again on Bukhoa.

If you were to know which ones you most likely would be waiting some time for one of them to come along. As you may know there is a stand a bit east of 2nd on Klang to transfer to. I think most that make that turn then turn south again on Bukhoa.

But some that make the turn keep going to the top of pattaya klang and past big c extra.

Like the OP says it's all very hit and miss. Wouldn't take a lot of effort to display some signs like they have recently introduced in Chiang Mai but I wouldn't hold my breathrolleyes.gif

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/828441-spotted-new-bus-stop-signs-for-the-new-songthaew-bus-routes/

Yes, I think this is one of the reasons the fare is low and yes 10 baht is low. There are no transfers. The buses do unpredictable things. You still need to pay.

For example sometimes buses from Jomtien will turn at Pattaya Tai and usually people are grumbling because they wanted to go further. But still must pay the 10 baht and either walk or catch a new bus.

Happy riding.

This is an old chestnut...

And can easily be fixed by having official bus routes, drivers could have cards displaying their route, route number and each route number could be sponsored by by a shopping mall or supermarket on that route who will pay for the cards to be printed.

A free tourist map (paid for by advertising) guide to routes, how to use the Baht Buses and how much to pay.

The drivers wouldn't like that. They seem to enjoy the degree of independence that they have. That includes some pretty bizarre behavior sometimes, charter passengers hijacking buses and bus passengers either being booted off mid-ride or taken on long detours for the charter people without the driver ever explaining what's happening. Remember these are buses and also potential charter taxis, same vehicle, same driver. By talking to a driver about anything, you do risk being seen as a charter fare, much more expensive of course.

Sure, in theory the driver behavior could be regulated better, and in theory there could be set routes the drivers are obligated to complete, but in practice who is going to actually ENFORCE those regulations and at what cost?

The deal now is the service is cheap because it's kind of a cheap service.

If the price went up to justify paying for better service, that would be no guarantee that better service would actually be realized, would it?

Edited by Jingthing

Just think of them like "Moving footways". Get on one going in the direction you want to go. When it turns in a direction you don't want..ring the bell and get off. Then switch "walkways" and jump on another one going in the desired direction.

http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/pattaya%20blue%20baht%20bus%20routes.pdf

....or just buy a scooter.

Edited by Fullstop

I have it figured out....I just tell someone on the baht bus where I don't want to go and BINGO...the bus takes me right to the spot I want.....it's a mind game all the time....sometimes they will do a U turn for no reason....part of the overall Pattaya mind <deleted>....??

I want to take the baht bus from 2nd Road up Pattaya Tai to Tonys on 3rd Road. But sometimes they turn left on Soi 22.

Or sometimes take a baht bus on Beach Road to Pattaya Tai and 2nd Road. Sometimes they turn left before Pattaya Tai and sometimes during the day they continue up Walking Street.

Keeps me alert. 555

My biggest joy is when the baht bus is commandeered by a Chinese tour and the driver forgets about me. I ring the buzzer and he thinks kids are playing with it and doesn't stop.

My gripe is that the baht bus drivers would rather queue on 2nd road for 3/4 of an hour, so can get a full load, than take me up 2nd Road.

All part of Amazing Thailand though.

You cant. It would sure help if they had a destination sign in front.

That's very true, get on a bus on Second Road around Soi 6, when a bus comes, you don't know if it will turn left at the Dolphin Roundabout

on to Beach Road, or go straight on to Naklau. Just have to flip a coin.

The drivers wouldn't like that. They seem to enjoy the degree of independence that they have. That includes some pretty bizarre behavior sometimes, charter passengers hijacking buses and bus passengers either being booted off mid-ride or taken on long detours for the charter people without the driver ever explaining what's happening. Remember these are buses and also potential charter taxis, same vehicle, same driver. By talking to a driver about anything, you do risk being seen as a charter fare, much more expensive of course.

Sure, in theory the driver behavior could be regulated better, and in theory there could be set routes the drivers are obligated to complete, but in practice who is going to actually ENFORCE those regulations and at what cost?

If the price went up to justify paying for better service, that would be no guarantee that better service would actually be realized, would it?

I remember years ago in the UK bus drivers had a key the put in a clock when left the depo, when they reached the terminus, when they left the terminus, and on top of that were the dreaded bus inspectors, nowadays they are monitored buy GPS and linked to a central control rooms by 2 way voice and data radio link.

I could design and manufacture A LED 100 to 150mm Sqr route number display with inbuilt GPS that could down load data when passing certain places on their routes for less than 10,000B, probably less than 5,000B per unit, could also incorporate key pad so every time the bus stopped the driver logs the number of passengers on/off.

Thing is there has to be official routes with allocated numbers, that's down to City Hall.

Drivers need a rule book, and if they do not comply the lose their licences.

If there were a central control room monitoring how many passengers were on buses they could take buses off quite routes allocate buses to busy routes and stop buses running around empty wasting fuel.

Edited by Basil B

Yes it could be done.

Will it?
Do the drivers and powers than run the system here want that?

I think obviously NOT.

Remember in effect these buses represent most of the TAXI system here as well.

Let's get real.

In many ways the current system is pretty ridiculous but what it does works very well for limited parts of town.

Indeed, there "should" be major reform.

The baht buses "should" only be used as buses on set, marked routes.

More of the city "should" be covered by these routes.

High volume routes "should" be served by much bigger buses.

Real taxi meters should replace the buses which are now most of the "taxi" system here.

Going further ... there "should" be more advanced transport here as it really has become a big traffic congested city ... subway / skytrain / streetcars, etc.

There are obviously strong interests here that will not allow such rational reforms.

Oh well!

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, I think this is one of the reasons the fare is low and yes 10 baht is low. There are no transfers. The buses do unpredictable things. You still need to pay.

For example sometimes buses from Jomtien will turn at Pattaya Tai and usually people are grumbling because they wanted to go further. But still must pay the 10 baht and either walk or catch a new bus.

Happy riding.

I was on a bus on Second Road going towards Pattaya Central Road, I thought the bus would go straight on, but it turned left

into Central Road, I stopped the bus, I was the only passenger on it, I made sure there was no one or any other bus nearby, then

told the driver I was not going to pay him. Being a Thai, there was no way he was going to tackle a big guy like me by himself.

He probably knew he would get more passengers turning left in to Beach Road than going straight on down Second Road.

Everyone on here seems to expect that the Thais can organise themselves, when we all know that is impossible. But the reason they don't have set destinations is because, as has been written, they can also be chartered. I have been going to Pattaya for years for a weeks work and often tried to hail a bus outside the Dusit, just before Beach Road. They would slow down, and as I went to get on board pull away and almost leave me falling onto the road. I finally worked out that those were the empty buses looking for a charter, and when I assumed it was a circular and didn't say where I wanted to go they weren't interested. Dangerous practise, but why should they care.

The way to stay semi-sane here is to just accept the warts and adapt. It's up to the Thais to change these systems and most of the Thais living here seem to have a transient attitude ... so most of the Thais here really don't seem invested in improving things here.

I remember years ago in the UK bus drivers had a key the put in a clock when left the depo, when they reached the terminus, when they left the terminus, and on top of that were the dreaded bus inspectors, nowadays they are monitored buy GPS and linked to a central control rooms by 2 way voice and data radio link.

I could design and manufacture A LED 100 to 150mm Sqr route number display with inbuilt GPS that could down load data when passing certain places on their routes for less than 10,000B, probably less than 5,000B per unit, could also incorporate key pad so every time the bus stopped the driver logs the number of passengers on/off.

Thing is there has to be official routes with allocated numbers, that's down to City Hall.

If there were a central control room monitoring how many passengers were on buses they could take buses off quite routes allocate buses to busy routes and stop buses running around empty wasting fuel.

Does fare remain 10b?

Does fare remain 10b?

yes in all fairness bump them up but then if the continue to overcharge maybe the bring in the Revenue guys to investigate them as they are doing with the lottery ticket sellers.

There is no system here for understanding routes. How about just asking the driver if he plans to turn right at Pattaya Klang or go straight up 2nd Road?

I have found that if you ask the driver specifically which way he is going, they feel that a contract has been established and will demand 100 baht each when you arrive. Thank goodness I have a motorbike and don't use them often.

There is no system here for understanding routes. How about just asking the driver if he plans to turn right at Pattaya Klang or go straight up 2nd Road?

I have found that if you ask the driver specifically which way he is going, they feel that a contract has been established and will demand 100 baht each when you arrive. Thank goodness I have a motorbike and don't use them often.

That's a risk.

You could try reconfirming the 10 baht fare after the little talk and see what he says.

Personally, I pretty much NEVER speak to the drivers.

I don't even look them in the eye.

I like the Baht Bus system.... Believe me, you are so well served compared to Phuket!. As soon as you see that the bus is not going the way you wanted just hit the bell and walk back to the nearest junction and get on one going your way. Don't let it wind you up!... It's only a cheap bus service FGS!