Fatal police station shooting: Victim's relatives dispute CCTV footage

webfact

Fatal Police Station Shooting: Victim's Relatives Dispute CCTV Footage
By Khaosod English

PATHUM THANI — The family of the 30-year-old man shot dead by a police officer in Pathum Thani province over the weekend says the CCTV footage does not back police's account of the incident.

CCTV footage of the shooting released by police at a press conference on 9 June 2015.

According to police, Assaneechaiyapol Charoenwinit was shot in his right rib cage by Police Lance Corporal Paisit Onsongchan after he rushed into Pratunam Chulalongkorn Police Station with a knife at around 4:30am on Sunday.

Police said Pol.Lc. Paisit, who was reportedly interrogating six Burmese drug suspects at the time, fired two warning shots, but Assaneechaiyapol charged at him, forcing the officer to shoot.

Police are still investigating Pol.Lc. Paisit, who has been charged with manslaughter and extrajudicial killing.

Complying with demands from Assaneechaiyapol's family, police released CCTV footage of the incident in a press conference.

However, relatives of Assaneechaiyapol said they remain unconvinced by the footage, which does not clearly show Assaneechaiyapol holding a knife. The video shows Assaneechaiyapol, wearing white, arrive on a motorcycle, wander around the parking lot, and then later run towards the door, where he falls to the ground after being shot.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1433932426

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2015-06-10

If you look at the door you will see someone dragging what looks like a bag or a small suit case. The guy in white t-shirt runs slowly up to him and then falls to the ground.

Just a guess - case has money belonging to white t-shirt man that was confiscated earlier but no receipt. White t-shirt man waits outside and then tries to claim what is his. Then someone shoots him. What do you think? I know silly- eh!

I viewed the video without the benefit of the story, my first impressions were that the guy was waiting for something, then behaved like the victim of a theft. He started running toward the top of the screen.

Watching again, I see someone walking into the building with a case. The guy seems to be chasing after his case.

No Knife, no warning shots, nothing makes sense in this story.

I have looked this in the Thai News. The police officer said this poor guy came in and he told him to leave, since there was some other drug-dealers questioned. Than he left, but short after he walked in again. Now in the Video he walks in once and get shot. I also do not see that he hold a knife in one of his hands.

from looking at the video there is an element of doubt I cant understand why he actually ran those few yards to the police station . why did he rush .it doesn't actually mention why he was there in the first place .

Just a really odd (and tragic) video that doesn't seem to make all that much sense given the background report of events. Not surprised the family are not happy. I failed to discern if warning shots were fired

And the fact that this police man has been charged makes me suspect the BiB know that this was a 'mistaken case of a fatal shooting'

Doesn't seem to have been enough time for two warning shots and then a fatal shot. It all happened very quickly.

The video doesn't prove or disprove anything. All you see is a man rushing at someone.

About the warning shots, I agree. IF warning shots had been fired, then they were fired before the guy started running.

Where were the warning shots fired? In the air, the ground?

Maybe 3 shots were fired (and they would have been very rapid), but 2 missed, so they were called "warning shots".