Is a barometer a reliable indication of rain here?

By the way. Got an app on my phone but I'm guessing this just feeds off online local generic info, not exactly where we are. I also see the cheaper electronic weather stations only seem to measure temp and humidity?

Hangover head in the morning= rain coming. Rain will be forecast by increasing humidity in relation to temperature and there are no apps that do that. Buy a cheap weather station.

Edited by cooked

I've used one and the same barometer on the northern hemisphere and here in Bangkok. In Bangkok I find it completely useless. I believe it is because the weather patterns between the north tropic of Cancer or south tropic of Capricorn of the equator is completely different from the weather pattern outside the same.

Quote: Not that I really know how to use one. We're out of town a bit and our local weather here seems to bare no resemblance to weather in town

Get yourself a couple of Fir Cones. If they are open it will be dry. If they are closed get your wellies out

Rain can be so localized here it is hard to , .

Could not agree withyou more, the TV weather forcast gives weather for our Ampure, am and pm,it is almost never right for us ,and we are certain that the weather recording station is only 5km from us ,and the government weather station is in our local town,as the crow fly's 30 km ,also almost never right for us.

A NZ friend of mine about sums it up when it rains, "it is only one man's rain".

Barometers have a screw at the back to callabrate the barometer to the hight above sea level it is placed, because they work off air pressure and the pressure is different and different hights, in Australia I used to check with the local airfield for the right barometric pressure for my area

I've used one and the same barometer on the northern hemisphere and here in Bangkok. In Bangkok I find it completely useless. I believe it is because the weather patterns between the north tropic of Cancer or south tropic of Capricorn of the equator is completely different from the weather pattern outside the same.

As pitchag explained, your issue is probably with elevation not geographic location. BKK is at sea-level (or below!!!). Your barometer needs to be recalibrated. Ships at sea can use a barometer globally because they are always at sea-level.

A barometer here is as much use as a broken watch. Watch tells correct time twice a day. Set the barometer to read rain for six months and dry for the other six months and it will be correct more often than not.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watch the ants . When they are busier than usual storing food then rain is coming.

I also use the arthritus in the big toe barometer.

Very true. If I see ants heading for higher ground the we usually get rain. Yesterday the very tiny ants were heading up the wall and last night we had rain.