Case of police in BKK

Hi everyone,

New to riding in Bangkok and had a strange/worrying experience.

Was riding in BKK today when the police pulled me aside and said I was riding in the wrong lane. Fine 400baht, no receipt.

Pissed off but paid, had to go somewhere. Then it got strange...

I looked at my phone before I went off when the policeman took my keys, and phone and said to stop taking photos. Then wanted to take me to the police station unless I gave them another 1000bht. He kept saying "we go to police station now, you in big trouble. You call embassy".

After 10 minutes of back and forth I eventually gave the money. No receipt given.

s**t happens, an expensive lesson learnt. My question is: When the police pull you over, what steps should you take, especially when all your papers are right, motorbike license legal etc.

400b from driving the wrong line is pretty normal. I've got 3 or 4 this year only. You can pay that on the road without receipt or go to station and pay it. I'm too lazy to go so just giving them the tea money is easier.

Other 1000b could have been avoided by agreeing go to station, just scaring tactics.

Edited by Crowleys

Well, never can say never in Thailand . But I'm pretty sure that He would have let you go if you have said "sure, Let's go" Or actually took you to the station and gave you 1000b fine for some ridiculous reason.

Big problems, no way!

You should always be the first one who says let's go to the police station. Never pay anything on the spot. That's what I have been doing the last decade or so and 9 out of 10 times they let me go. If they do take you to the police station you never have pay more than a fee hundred baht.

Edited by Nickymaster

You should always be the first one who says let's go to the police station. Never pay anything on the spot. That's what I have been doing the last decade or so and 9 out of 10 times they let me go. If they do take you to the police station you never have pay more than a fee hundred baht.

Good advice!

Or don't stop.

Edited by DILLIGAD

That cop ripped u off classic bib style. They just scare you that you pay them on spot and having fun with your cash later. Even If you would have go to the station you just would have to pay the official fine. Bribes for minor thing is 200b nowadays....

Thanks,

So if I just went to police station then nothing else would have happened?

Scare tactics. Doesn't want his photo taken because he just took a bribe and doesn't want it on social media...

At the station they would have just wasted your time, made you wait a few hours and probably done nothing in the end...

It's not illegal to video or photograph a policeman, so if you have time...it could be worth the trip to the station, just for the satisfaction.

Only way Thai authorities do anything is when they are shamed and caught out.

Here they hold your license until you get back from police station with receipt.

Once when I forgot my license he kept the bike and I had to mocy taxi to station and back.

When I got back, cops, bike, all gone.

Eventually found impound yard and paid more to recover my bike.

I'd rather just pay on the spot, <deleted> it.

I've been pulled over countless times in Bkk. They're very hot in my area and getting pulled over daily is common.

I'm always very courteous (though I usually swear out loud in my full face helmet as I'm pulling over).

Smile a lot, comply with what they ask.

I usually speak Thai with them and joke around if they seem receptive to a bit if humour . Never get angry, stay cool, calm and polite and you'll be on your way.

It's a game..

From my understanding, any Thai police roadblock or checkpoint that is manned by less than 3 police officers, and is not setup using pylon cones, is illegal. So if this was an illegal checkpoint that could have been another reason why he didn't want you photographing it.

I can imagine if every motorcycle rider in Thailand wore a helmet cam and just pointed to the cam as soon as being pulled over, then maybe there would never be another extortion fine charged in LOS ever again.

400 Baht is on the high side for any roadside violation paid on the road to a policeman. The fine paid legally at the station normally does not exceed 500 Baht. The standard fine payment amount for "speedy checkout" on the road is usually 200 Baht.

The 1,000 Baht add-on is the first I've ever heard of. Seems like you pissed him off by not just paying your fine and moving on as they expect you to do and so he decided to get a bit more drinking money out of you as well.

My suggestion for making your life easier in the future:

Keep only two 100 Baht notes in your wallet when riding your motorcycle around. Put the rest of your cash separately in your front pocket.

Anytime you get pulled over, no matter how much they ask for, just apologize and show them you only have 200 Baht in your wallet.

After they play hardball for 15 seconds, and then agree to accepting the 200 Baht you are offering, then just give them the money as quickly as possible to seal the deal.

If they resist accepting only 200 Baht for some reason then just apologize a few more times for not having more money in your wallet to give them. Eventually they will come around to accepting your offer if you are polite and friendly and appear sympathetic to their cause.

Once you are paid up, smile, say thank you, start driving away as soon as possible, and don't hang around snapping photos.

The whole event shouldn't take more than 3 minutes if done correctly and cost you no more than 200 Baht.

You could try the "ok, take me to the police station" approach, but you risk them confiscating your driving license and then you later have to really go to the police station to pick up your license and pay up to a 500 Baht fine. Don't risk it. Pay the 200 Baht on the spot and don't resist, act vigilant or righteous. Remain calm, polite, and smile. Thai style.

I know in a previous post I said it is sometimes better to do things "the right way" in this country and not condone corruption. But when the situation is purely a planned money grab (like this was) then there is no real "right way" to do it except to try and play the game to your best advantage. That is when it becomes more of an issue of damage control than anything.

Edited by WingNut

I've been pulled over countless times in Bkk. They're very hot in my area and getting pulled over daily is common.

I'm always very courteous (though I usually swear out loud in my full face helmet as I'm pulling over).

Smile a lot, comply with what they ask.

I usually speak Thai with them and joke around if they seem receptive to a bit if humour . Never get angry, stay cool, calm and polite and you'll be on your way.

It's a game..

I agree with everything but the speaking Thai part. I always speak English. That puts them at a communication disadvantage and they are more likely to be accepting of your driving ignorance and humble offer to pay 200 Baht to resolve matters amicably as they are in less of a position to be able to actually argue for more. I've even had times where my English frustrated them to the point where they just told me to go away and didn't want any money at all at that point.

That's another approach a friend of mine often used years ago and with excellent success. He used to smile, be polite, but speak only English gibberish and with a heavy British accent. With the officer's typically poor understanding of English to begin with, they would quickly get frustrated, confused, and tell him to just go. It saved him from lots of 200 Baht payoffs.

Edited by WingNut

I have been riding with a helmet cam on the chin bar of my helmet and rarely get pulled now and when I do it is a quick license check and then waved on, thoroughly recommend it as the BiB really don't seem to like cameras, cant think why....

It takes some time Paul and than you will know the times and places on your routes where they check, its usuallythe same. I havent paid a fine in a year or so but still they stop me about 2 times a week. When I drive in the times they are checking, I drive slow and utmost left. If they stop my its same another poster said, I speak thai with them and make a joke, stay cool etc and mostly theyll let you off easily.

A few times they tried to sell me a ticket while I didnt do anything wrong (fat cop on asok, rama 4) than im the first one to say, we go to police station, call ur boss we check cctv together. Come rew rew... Then theyll let you off also.

If I break the law and they stop me, I paid mostly 100-150 baht on the spot. Dont get ur phone though, show nothing which might interest them, do your business and carry on.

I don't ride bikes in BKK anymore, only drive cars nowadays but this is still my default behavior.

No Thai, not even a word. As a foreigner you are an unknown. The cop can't judge who you are the way he can a Thai and this is to your advantage not his.

Being friendly or joking can work but from my experience it usually doesn't and if the cop doesn't respond to that then you are on the back foot. I'm not rude but not friendly and not smiling, even slightly dismissive or nonchalant. If the cop is aggressive I just stare back at him with a blank expression and say nothing.

Never argue the rights and wrongs of your alleged offence. It's not the point of him stopping you so he doesn't care. Again, just puts you on the back foot.

Any irrelevant questions about where you come from, where you're going, you work in Thailand? etc, just ignore or don't understand.

If he demands your licence and you don't mind giving it to him then do so. He is very unlikely to solicit a bribe at this point though he may write a ticket if you really have committed an obvious offence but from my experience 9 times out of 10 he will decide you are potentially more trouble than it's worth and walk away.

I got stopped at the iron bridge in Chiang Mai last year, the guy wanted 400baht if we go to police station, I asked how much here he say 400 baht I started laffing okwe goto station. Then I say ok 200 baht for pay here,he went over and asked the boss and came back and said ok 200 I paid and off I went.

Acting like a cool, hi-so, local with an attitude isn't a good approach for a foreigner on a motorcycle when dealing with local police.

Depends on how expensive the bike is.

I have found that in this country, acting humble and apologetic always is the best approach when dealing with authority to get them to respond in a more cooperative way. To each his own way though.

I don't ride bikes in BKK anymore, only drive cars nowadays but this is still my default behavior.

No Thai, not even a word. As a foreigner you are an unknown. The cop can't judge who you are the way he can a Thai and this is to your advantage not his.

Being friendly or joking can work but from my experience it usually doesn't and if the cop doesn't respond to that then you are on the back foot. I'm not rude but not friendly and not smiling, even slightly dismissive or nonchalant. If the cop is aggressive I just stare back at him with a blank expression and say nothing.

Never argue the rights and wrongs of your alleged offence. It's not the point of him stopping you so he doesn't care. Again, just puts you on the back foot.

Any irrelevant questions about where you come from, where you're going, you work in Thailand? etc, just ignore or don't understand.

If he demands your licence and you don't mind giving it to him then do so. He is very unlikely to solicit a bribe at this point though he may write a ticket if you really have committed an obvious offence but from my experience 9 times out of 10 he will decide you are potentially more trouble than it's worth and walk away.

Maybe fine and well if you have not done anything wrong. Unfortunately, a bike in the right lane has "committed" a traffic offence

I think it's also quite easy for them to come up with something "you did wrong". Aftermarket pipe, frame sliders, and many other mods are technically illegal. Then maybe you don't have your tax emblem displayed properly, your bike is too noisy, you were driving too fast, you crossed a solid line on the road etc. I'm sure they can come up with something if they really want to.

Was let go last week. They didn't have change for my 1000 baht note. Were nice guys.

coffee1.gif

If you had some smaller notes in your wallet they would have taken your money though right? Still nice guys?

I say their laziness to hunt down some change to make a couple hundred Baht is what made them "nice guys".

There was a Thai video floating around on fb. Cop pulls up a young guy on a scooter not wearing a helmet. Kid gives the copper a bank note thinking its bribe. Copper goes into the police box and comes out with a new helmet, puts it in the young guys head, does up the buckle and hands him the change.

Young guy rides off bewildered.

Quite funny helmet advertising.

Thais can make some funny adds

Actually the best answer to all questions regarding where you are coming from and travelling to is always the same unless otherwise clearly better to be something different is. From: my home to: my home.

Instantly with even experienced police reduces their casual or direct attempts at profiling.

Or you could just plead inability to understand, but doesn't work in all countries.