British passport renewal - proof address help please?

Hi guys,

I'm going to renew my passport next month and I have found a few great previous posts explaining the whole process in detail, however one thing I just wanted to clarify is how best to prove my address in Thailand.

So the guidance notes tell me to refer to table A, and to provide proof of identity and address/residence dated within the last year.

Here is Table A:

r7vvir.jpg

I'm concerned because I don't currently possess any of the documents listed in the proof of address/residency section.

I work at a school who I'm sure if I asked could produce me an official letter with my address on it but then when I read again, it says proof of address OR residency, does that mean I could tell them to refer to my current visa stamp in my passport (I will enclose a colour photocopy too of course), and not actually provide any document with address on it?

If anyone has done this recently I would be happy to hear from you and whether or not you had any issues with this.

Cheers guys, smile.png

If your contract is in Thai it will need to be translated. Also the contract must be dated within the last 12 months.

Check to see if the passport office would accept a photocopy, because I doubt your employer is going to let you send the original.

If the passport office won't accept a photocopy go for the letter - it works well and it's the easiest way forward.

Edited by blackcab
  • Like 1

If your contract is in Thai it will need to be translated. Also the contract must be dated within the last 12 months.

Check to see if the passport office would accept a photocopy, because I doubt your employer is going to let you send the original.

If the passport office won't accept a photocopy go for the letter - it works well and it's the easiest way forward.

Instead of going through all that, why not just get an original letter from the employer in English and stamped by the company ?

confirming thingswink.png

seems to me making a rather simple thing more complicated than it needs to be

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I think you both have the solution with the letter from the company :-)

I'll ask for that to be typed up and buy the boss a coffee for her troubles biggrin.png

Do you have any official letters from the UK sent to your residential address in Thailand? For example; a bank statement, letter from your tax office, from your pension or insurance company, or a P60. Any one of those will suffice.

• Like 2

No P60s for me I'm afraid, I have never received any tax or bank letters during my time in Thailand smile.png

The letter should do the trick and if not, I will have to just explain that I don't have anything else with my address in Thailand on it facepalm.gif

Cheers for all the replies guys, much appreciated smile.png

No P60s for me I'm afraid, I have never received any tax or bank letters during my time in Thailand smile.png

The letter should do the trick and if not, I will have to just explain that I don't have anything else with my address in Thailand on it facepalm.gif

Cheers for all the replies guys, much appreciated smile.png

the letter will do the trick as its listed as a document that is accepted in the table - Employment -official letter from employer

• Like 1

Yep, me too - as far as I know I've never seen (or heard of) a P 60 - until now. Never received one, here in in TH, that's for sure.

Good luck OP with the pisspot application - it's an overly expensive affair for us guys not living anywhere near BKK, that's for sure!

• Like 1

Yep, me too - as far as I know I've never seen (or heard of) a P 60 - until now. Never received one, here in in TH, that's for sure.

Good luck OP with the pisspot application - it's an overly expensive affair for us guys not living anywhere near BKK, that's for sure!

I pay UK Tax on my pension every month and my pension provider sends me a P60 every May.
  • Like 1

What if I'm not employed here but have a 3 month Education Visa and don't have any addresses to my name, since I just stay with my girlfriend.

I hear that the Edu Visa stamp is not enough?

The "visa stamp" does not provide evidence of address .................

What if I'm not employed here but have a 3 month Education Visa and don't have any addresses to my name, since I just stay with my girlfriend.

its not but if you refer to the table your can get a school record or one assumes an official letter from the school will suffice

its not but if you refer to the table your can get a school record or one assumes an official letter from the school will suffice

But I'm not actually attending classes.....I just know someone in immigration who arranged the visa for me!

But I'm not actually attending classes.....I just know someone in immigration who arranged the visa for me!

If you can't prove your name at an address in Thailand with in the past year, then you will have to start planning for a trip back to the UK to apply for your replacement passport there.

What I would suggest to anyone in difficulty in meeting HMPO's address evidence requirement would be to write a snail mail letter of complaint to them about the lousy passport renewal procedures to which we are now subject, around a year before your passport is due for renewal. All being well, you should then receive a reply in the post in sufficient time to enable you to use it as the necessary evidence!laugh.png

The HMPO sent my friends 13 years old daughter the standard proof of address letter with her address on that she had put on the passport forms,stating that they were not satisfied with her address.she returned the same form thinking this would be proof of address

But Four weeks went by before she received another standard proof of address letter but this time someone with an ounce of common sense hand wrote at the bottom of the letter to just go to her school and ask for a letter that says she goes to this school and her address on record is etc.So simple if they would have said in the first place that this school letter would suffice she would not hold the record of 18 weeks to renew a British passport.

Another friend as just applied to renew his passport,he and his wife own their house but is wife as given him a one year lease in English signed with her maiden name as proof of address.

So far they have not contacted him after 3 weeks so he will wait and see if this is acceptable

oh dear....think we will leave this one here with no further comment ...rolleyes.gif

Guess you will needing to go to the UK then to apply

Edited by Soutpeel