No invitation to PM Prayut yet for 4th of July party

webfact

I wonder if Thaksin was invited, after all he claims that he was unconstitutionally given the boot back in 2006.. and he still the de facto PM of this country...

Stop it. You know very well that the former PM was not invited and he most certainly does not claim to be the de facto PM of Thailand.

Another OCD afflicted person who did not take the meds. No matter what the thread is, they will find the way to mention/include Mr. T

Even when it comes to Farangs, TIT ! Amazing Farangland !

It would seem to me to be disingenuous IMHO to invite the acting self-appointed PM/Strongman total Thai authority...to a party celebrating "independence" and the beginning of self-rule in the US...

To expect an invitation under these circumstances is absurd...

Beginning of self-rule? Providing you weren't a native American or slave of course.

Organize a revolution, pardon yourself, try your best to exterminate the indigenous population and import vast numbers of slaves.

Now let's pretend we actually invented democracy - yippee hi ka!

Fullstop Posted

I'm not talking about small groups down at the pub or a post from a single individual on a forum ... I'm talking about the WORLDWIDE hoo hah of July 4th initiated by America as a nation in a way that they think the rest of the world actually cares. It's cultural pollution. Keep it local America! The rest of the world doesn't care!

There is no worldwide Hoo Haw and no one cared, until this year when The Nation is desperately looking for any chance to take the piss ... good to see you have joined in.

Strange as it now sounds,, my next door neighbor back when I was growing up, was in Turkey visiting Ephesus and Troy back in the mid 70's. He met a number of folks from the Australian embassy who were heading for a Anzac Day remembrance. They invited him to come as not many people showed up.

That was 76 by the way. I am assuming that The Hoo Haw it has turned into today is 90% the result of a movie starring, get this, an American Actor! Who would have guessed huh. biggrin.png By the way I did take part in the 2010 AZ day in Ambon. Quiet, nice, respectful. Although It would have been nice if more people showed up but ... hey, that's life.

Edited by LomSak27

Ohh Gosh,

I just get all pins and needles when The Nation covers who gets invites and who gets snubbed for the 4th of july bash! biggrin.png It's such a glittering extravaganza, full of hi so folks, and rubbing elbows with Very Important People..

Sadly I stopped attending when they upped the 10 B beers but hey, I always had fun.

This is the party hosted by the US embassy, not the American Chamber of Commerce ID4 picnic.

Most convenient trip to Japan to save face. A most political move indeed.

Saves face for the PM and minimizes the impact of no invite from his US allies. No surprises here.

Jesus wept Halion, tell me you are joking !

Ohh Gosh,

I just get all pins and needles when The Nation covers who gets invites and who gets snubbed for the 4th of july bash! biggrin.png It's such a glittering extravaganza, full of hi so folks, and rubbing elbows with Very Important People..

Sadly I stopped attending when they upped the 10 B beers but hey, I always had fun.

Going by your comments on this forum I bet they miss you like mad. whistling.gif

The subject of invites to official engagements with the USA has cropped up several times.

These aren't private parties where the Ambassador's chums get invited but not the guy who upset him last week. They have strict rules about these things and leaders of a military junta are not on that list. It doesn't differentiate whether they took power for greed and ambition or to stop the last government murdering it's people with terrorism.

No doubt we will go through this same pantomime next month. And the month after. It seems learning is not a strong point of the usual suspects who start posting like 5 year olds having a tantrum on non-stories like this.

I wonder if Thaksin was invited, after all he claims that he was unconstitutionally given the boot back in 2006.. and he still the de facto PM of this country...

Stop it. You know very well that the former PM was not invited and he most certainly does not claim to be the de facto PM of Thailand.

Another OCD afflicted person who did not take the meds. No matter what the thread is, they will find the way to mention/include Mr. T

Even when it comes to Farangs, TIT ! Amazing Farangland !

Are you going to insult and flame the member who had the audacity to mention Thaksin (oh no ! I have done it now !) in post #5 ?

Could America keep it's 4th July hoo hah in the states? You don't see Australia slapping everyone around the head worldwide with "Australia Day"

Thanks.

The US embassy is US sovereign soil so holding a 4th July celebration there would be appropriate.

If Australians aren't proud of their nationality, that's their problem.

I think the reception is going to be held in a Bangkok hotel - which is not US sovereign territory.

i think 'pride' in one's Western country is an outmoded concept. I am a Brit. i am neither proud of it nor ashamed of it. I was shaped by the values of the people who live there. I have family there, I enjoyed my upbringing there and I still enjoy visiting. But I don't much care for anthems and flags and jingoism. I think most Aussies are the same. I also have family in America but some Americans seem to have developed a kind of 3rd world jingoism with schoolkids saluting flags and trumpeting the phrase 'land of the free' (it's only free if you're rich). 4th July is one of those outdated trappings of nationhood. America has been a big grown up independent nation for nearly 240 years. Is it still so insecure that it needs to remind itself and the world that a very long time ago it was a colony?

Could America keep it's 4th July hoo hah in the states? You don't see Australia slapping everyone around the head worldwide with "Australia Day"

Really? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794848-to-all-the-aussies-happy-australia-day/ smile.png

Yes, really.

Not one of those posts was Australia slapping everyone around the head worldwide with "Australia Day" they were all posts from ThaiVisa members about a day that ThaiVisa OP'd about.

It should be a honor to not be invited by this US government.

You mean the government that has reduced the senseless slaughter of America's youth in countries where their sacrifice was unappreciated and where the supposed local ally government betrayed the USA at every opportunity? Or do you mean a government that was in large part responsible for the policies that supported a strong recovery from a worldwide catastrophic economic downturn? Or do you mean a government that has maintained international peace despite the idiotic actions of some?

I suppose for political extremists, bigots and ignorant US bashers the invite has no meaning. However, the government is acting on behalf of the US people. This means that it represents all of the USA, including people of various political views. That's what is so great about the USA. In the USA, unlike much of the world, free speech and civil rights are taken seriously by the majority.

I guess if we had not sent them packing in the war of 1812 we would be participating in all of this hoopla. Yes our dear cousin to the south was only to happy to buy our dirty oil before all this shale oil craze( The depletion rate on these wells is 40% a year and they must drill thousands more annually to keep production level. I get a big kick out of all these forecasts that the US will be energy sufficient for decades to come). Now they declare our oil to dirty and refuse to OK the Keystone pipeline. How soon they forget when it suits them. Well they will be back as water will be more precious than oil in the future and we have it all in spades. They will dust off NAFTA looking for water loopholes and we will all be kissing cuzzins agin. Its amazing how their priorities change when it suits them and them only.

I will be In NYC with my Thai wife.

We're going to enjoy the day, maybe visit Central Park and do some people watching, and watch the big fireworks show at night. The next day, we are going to visit the Statue of Liberty. It's a nice boat ride in NY Harbor.

To the typical American, the 4th of July celebration is about relaxing, getting together with friends, having a cookout outdoors, going to a carnival, watching the fireworks. The patriotic aspect is minor, more to do with the style of the decorations. Lots of stars and stripes in red, white and blue.

I have always enjoyed Thai holidays, and I have been to a few events hosted by the Thai Embassy in Oman. What I remember most is the hospitality and the soft undercurrent of Thai pride.

Lighten up, guys. wai.gif

Yes I don't think the Americans would invite a crooked fugitive even if he happens to be a billionaire mate of the Carlyle Group.

another dreary "Poodle in the Microwave" contribution.

I wonder if Thaksin was invited, after all he claims that he was unconstitutionally given

the boot back in 2006.. and he still the de facto PM of this country...

It doesn't make sense to invite one to an event in Bangkok when one has fled the country to avoid the fascist thugs in BKK.

555 cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You men when one has fled to avoid the criminal conviction and charges that one would like to pretend are "political". Bit like inviting the head of any crime family.

"criminal conviction", yes. but from the most reactionary element of the parasites class in BKK. In Taksin's case, the "conviction" is a point of honour as History will record.

I wonder if Thaksin was invited, after all he claims that he was unconstitutionally given

the boot back in 2006.. and he still the de facto PM of this country...

It doesn't make sense to invite one to an event in Bangkok when one has fled the country to avoid the fascist thugs in BKK.

555 cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You men when one has fled to avoid the criminal conviction and charges that one would like to pretend are "political". Bit like inviting the head of any crime family.

"criminal conviction", yes. but from the most reactionary element of the parasites class in BKK. In Taksin's case, the "conviction" is a point of honour as History will record.

gag gag hack barf ! Come off it Muirton, you can't possibly believe that !

..............."a point of honour as History will record"..................

The only thing history will record is that Thaksin was the worst criminal Thai politics had ever known. It's not going to get any prettier than that ! thumbsup.gif

It would seem to me to be disingenuous IMHO to invite the acting self-appointed PM/Strongman total Thai authority...to a party celebrating "independence" and the beginning of self-rule in the US...

To expect an invitation under these circumstances is absurd...

+1...Good point.

This is the party hosted by the US embassy, not the American Chamber of Commerce ID4 picnic

Yes and I expect they did have a private party too, but I'm sure they used to have it at the embassy, then moved it to AUA in 86 or 87. However not positive on that date, how about checking up on that for me dekestone ................. .Age, Adderall, Alzheimer's and Alcohol ... 'living hard will take its toll' wink.png

Journos creating news. The General/PM will be in Japan. If he got an invite and was unable to attend because of his trip the headline would be something like "PM SNUBS US INVITE AND FLEES TO JAPAN". Talk about devil's advocacy.

There is no news here.