Odd, nutty taste and odour in palm oil margarine/butter blend . Why?

roban

Better to use butter. It's better for your health. Search for the Time Magazine with "Eat Butter" on the cover. Better yet, read the recent book "The Big Fat Surprise" about the relative healthiness of butter compared to margarine.

Surely, OP, you've answered the question yourself. It's the palm oil.

Palm oil in Thailand is cheap and widely used.

In products made in the occident other oils such as sunflower, corn, and soya are more likely to be used.

The Allowrie butter products are made particularly disgusting because they don't contain butter. They're made with a chemical emulsion of imported butter oil and god-knows-what. (I believe that's true of all Thai butter brands such as Imperial and Orchid.)

Surely, OP, you've answered the question yourself. It's the palm oil

I don't think so.

My wife uses palm oil for french fries, deep fried chicken, etc. and I've never noticed a flavour like this.

And in the "West", they also use palm fat to produce margarine. (Even Flora)

And almost every margarine recipe contains palm fat.

Will investigate further...wink.png

As Aug says, full of nasty trans-fats which are very bad for you. Real butter contains only saturated fat (I think.)

OK, but this was not the question.

PS: it's not the Palm oil which causes that nasty, rancid flavour.

I've bought a bottle yesterday and the oil is absolutely odorless.

So I guess, the manufacturers add some crappy, chemical flavorings.

The oil will have been hydrogenated to make it a solid at room temperature (and full of tasty trans-fats), so not exactly the same thing.

to be avoided like the plague.banned in the uk.heart attack on a stick.

about 2yrs.ago i started a thread on so called butter in thailand and imported from elswhere with some supprising results.

you have to be on your guard with butter,salted and unsalted as they change the colours of packaging on a regular base's.

the wife got caught out about 4weeks ago with one of the thai brands,BLOODY AWFULL.

well, after informing myself about trans fats and what they can cause, I decided to dispose this
"Best foods" crap with 10% hydrogenated palm oil.

Any ideas for recycling 2kg of this tasty "margarine"?

Melt it and put it my Diesel Pickup truck?

What butter/margarine do you buy?

well, after informing myself about trans fats and what they can cause, I decided to dispose this

"Best foods" crap with 10% hydrogenated palm oil.

Any ideas for recycling 2kg of this tasty "margarine"?

Melt it and put it my Diesel Pickup truck?

What butter/margarine do you buy?

as i was brought up in the welsh valleys,on faggots,brawn,and just about anything that went with a slice or 2 of welsh salty butter,even the brachies when they came over made a fortune in their cafe's with a thick slice of blyth's and hopkin morgans bread and welsh salty butter.sorry to say i have just about tried them all over here but nothing resembles 100% pure butter.there is one that was recommened but sorry to say it failed the test,2 days or more in a very cold fridge and you could still spread it so oil must have been added.right now i am useing orchid.

as i posted back on the 7/6/2014 anchor new zealand is produced in indoniesea and allowrie which has a kangaroo on the packaging is produced here.

oh and one of them has trans fat added,it starts with an A.facepalm.gif

nearly forgot use the tasty marg for GREASING.

Edited by meatboy

welsh salty butter

Shirgar by any chance? The butter of my childhood. Nothing better; nothing comes close.

shirgar oh yes nothing came close to it,won by 8 lenghts epsom derby,as max boyce said I WAS THERE.

as for the butter you could feel the salt coming through the wrapper.

hollybush was not a bad substiute[west wales] lidle's best seller.

well, it seems that all "butter" products at Makro are made from butter-oil and skimmed milk.

I could not find even one product, made from pure cream.

So after googleing a little bit, I've bought 1 pack whipping cream (950cc/100% cream/139 baht) and made my own butter.

I've got ~350 gr. pure butter and ~550 ccm butter milk (for my coffee) out of this pack, so no real loss.

The butter tastes extremely good, will never buy some "butter crap" again.

Edited by roban

So after googleing a little bit, I've bought 1 pack whipping cream (950cc/100% cream/139 baht) and made my own butter.

Are you sure it really was cream? The price seems suspiciously cheap. I'm guessing it may have been Foremost (or possibly Magnolia, which I don't know much about). I certainly know that Foremost's soured cream is a disgusting chemical concoction. I would be inclined to suspect that their whipping cream is similar.

Proper whipping cream such as Emborg is around 240 Baht for 1000 ml.

Are you sure it really was cream? The price seems suspiciously cheap. I'm guessing it may have been Foremost (or possibly Magnolia, which I don't know much about). I certainly know that Foremost's soured cream is a disgusting chemical concoction. I would be inclined to suspect that their whipping cream is similar.

Proper whipping cream such as Emborg is around 240 Baht for 1000 ml.

Emborg is ultrapasteurized which means its whipability is greatly reduced. Usually they have to add things like carrageenan to make ultrapasteurized cream whip properly. Also, like ultrapasteurized milk, ultrapasteurized cream has a "cooked" flavor. Foremost is just pasteurized. My favorite local cream is Meiji. It's also just pasteurized. Whips the easiest and holds its shape the longest.

Edited by stillbornagain

well, my "butter/margarine problem" seems to be solved for now.

Next challenge is to source "non-ultra pasteurized" milk for cheese making.

But I think, I will better open a new thread...

• 8 years later...
On 6/24/2015 at 11:46 PM, DogNo1 said:

As Aug says, full of nasty trans-fats which are very bad for you. Real butter contains only saturated fat (I think.)

Real butter contains trans fats too.

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2015 at 10:58 AM, meatboy said:

to be avoided like the plague.banned in the uk.heart attack on a stick.

about 2yrs.ago i started a thread on so called butter in thailand and imported from elswhere with some supprising results.

you have to be on your guard with butter,salted and unsalted as they change the colours of packaging on a regular base's.

the wife got caught out about 4weeks ago with one of the thai brands,BLOODY AWFULL.

Yeah, wasn't the old stick margarine banned in the 1990s or something?

It's not the same stuff on sale now.

Edited by FruitPudding

On 6/24/2015 at 8:10 AM, AyG said:

I believe that's true of all Thai butter brands such as Imperial and Orchid.)

Really? The picture looks so nice.

What about anchor? What butter would you recommend?

If you hover over a member's name you can see when they last logged in, asking someone who was last seen in 2017 isn't likely to elicit a response.

I too was going to suggest Lurpak, it's what I was dragged up on in the 1960's