Thai army chief warns certain political group to back off student movement

webfact

Army chief warns certain political group to back off student movement

6-8-2015-12-24-09-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Army commander-in-chief says a certain political group or politicians was behind the protest movement by a group of student activists against the military junta.

Gen Udomdej Seetabutr said security authorities have known their identities and would summon them for talks soon.

He didn’t named the political group or individuals saying only they are those who are unsatisfied with the government.

They supported this student activist group to demonstrate and the government would not stay put but would invite them to make understanding, he said.

Gen Udomdej said the movement of this handful of student activist during the past few days was still acceptable but cautioned that it could draw opposition from other groups.

This could trigger confrontation and public disturbance again, he said.

The army chief admitted he was concerned about the protest movements as there was indication that they intended to draw more people to join, and this could repeat the previous protest rallies where confrontation of two rival groups would be unavoidable.

He urged their parents and their teachers to help take care of their kids and students.

He added if they still defy the laws, the police will have to enforce the laws.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/army-chief-warns-certain-political-group-to-back-off-student-movement

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-26

That right General. Typical move don't blame it on students who wants to see elections and no more coups, blame it on the Red Shirts.

I have no doubt there is some truth in what he says, it really is amazing what Thais will do for some chump change and since the big players in this nasty game are currently grounded a few backhanders thrown in the right gullible pockets will serve their purpose

Did it every occur to this "genius" that the students are acting on their own, and for their own beliefs, as students all over the world have done in the past?

Sorry, rhetorical question, as that would require him to actually think.

coffee1.gif

That right General. Typical move don't blame it on students who wants to see elections and no more coups, blame it on the Red Shirts.

"blame it on the Red Shirts"

IMHO, both the yellow/Red thing has morphed into a Pro-democracy/Anti-democracy thing.

This article refers to the offending party as being a "certain political group"

When I think of a "group", I think of a dozen or so people."

What were previously known as the Red Shirts, are a huge segment of the pro-democracy side of things. Far removed from being a group...That would be akin to calling the Democrat Party a 'group' of people.

But one must recognize as well, this is a way of the anti-democrats attempts to denigrate their opposites......Calling a majority segment of the pro-democracy side "a group"

These students advocating Democratic practices would naturally be supported by the pro-democracy side.......To therefore tackle the entire majority side of the Thai electorate is a tall order.

Edited by Bannum opinions

the fact is the Reds and Taksin have spent years and countless millions of dollars to further the Taksin grip on this country and to steal every possible baht from it (while killing scores of innocent children and publicly celebrating and condoning those killings). To think for a minute that they have suddenly given up on all that expense and effort is ludicrous.

I don't doubt for a minute that Taksin himself is behind this along with the reds.

Prior to the coup, the only students protesting were doing so against the Yingluck government.

Then the police were shooting them though.

You think the students are doing this from their own ethics and are not being used as pawns by you-know-who and his cronies ??.

Ha ha ha ha. I think you know that, but are quite happy to be a hypocrite if it suits your purpose.

Then I wonder if they were out protesting against Pheu-Thai and the amnesty bill which represented the greatest abuse of power I have seen. I might be wrong, but I think not.

IMHO, both the yellow/Red thing has morphed into a Pro-democracy/Anti-democracy thing.

What were previously known as the Red Shirts, are a huge segment of the pro-democracy side of things. Far removed from being a group...That would be akin to calling the Democrat Party a 'group' of people.

But one must recognize as well, this is a way of the anti-democrats attempts to denigrate their opposites......Calling a majority segment of the pro-democracy side "a group"

These students advocating Democratic practices would naturally be supported by the pro-democracy side.......To therefore tackle the entire majority side of the Thai electorate is a tall order.

Wow, how can you be so wrong. Have you ever been to Thailand ?.

I have been here 10 years and I know both red and non-red shirts. Few of the non-red-shirts are actually yellow shirts. They are just decent people sick of having everything stolen by politicians.

Red-shirts are more-or-less communists who think all the money should be gathered up and shared out amongst them. They have no clue - and no interest - in actual democracy. They think that if they can get elected, it means everything belongs to them and they can do whatever they want. I remember a story from a policeman after Pheu-Thai won : he was fed up with red-shirts, telling him they should not be prosecuted because they had won the election.

Non-red shirts always make a much more intelligent argument than any red-shirt I have met and are basically sick and tired of the old-style corrupt governments in Thailand. They understand democracy much more and they want it.

Everything I have experienced in real life is backed up by the comments I see on this forum. The problem in this world is that there is no cure for greed or stupid. I learnt long ago that there is no point arguing with an idiot.

the fact is the Reds and Taksin have spent years and countless millions of dollars to further the Taksin grip on this country and to steal every possible baht from it (while killing scores of innocent children and publicly celebrating and condoning those killings). To think for a minute that they have suddenly given up on all that expense and effort is ludicrous.

I don't doubt for a minute that Taksin himself is behind this along with the reds.

Prior to the coup, the only students protesting were doing so against the Yingluck government.

Aaa hahahaha, aaaahahahahaha. You're funny.

It's interesting to see how concerned the government is with the student movement for democracy. They know, I think, that as this movement grows it will become more and more difficult to control, because the students are actually the children of the elite who run the country. It was easy to portray the red shirts as the "other", as stupid hicks from the countryside unable to think for themselves, but it will be much more difficult to do so to the children of the generals, admirals, and corporate elite.

interesting days folks.

Edited by In Town

There actually are people in this country that identify with neither the Red or the Yellow shirts, I know plenty of them. Anybody who thinks the situation is black and white (red/yellow maybe?) are just as ignorant as the people in charge at the moment, and the people who were previously in charge.

A paranoid military is a dangerous combination , perhaps they have nightmares of what could happen, indeed it did happen and all the army boy's deserted their post and followed the students and I wonder why General , I remember but do you.coffee1.gif

Aaa hahahaha, aaaahahahahaha. You're funny.

What's so funny? "the Reds and Taksin have spent years and countless millions of dollars to further the Taksin grip on this country and to steal every possible baht" TRUE

"killing scores of innocent children and publicly celebrating and condoning those killings" Maybe not scores I remember 3 two infant children (if memory serves) near MBK who were murdered by having a bomb thrown at them and a nine year old girl ,who was just doing washing up at here Mum and dad's outdoor noodle restaurant, shot to death and then the following day a red shirt cop in a redshirt meeting in Korat very clearly celebrated her death on stage

" don't doubt for a minute that Taksin himself is behind this along with the reds" No way to prove true or false but it's not really that much of a stretch to believe Thaksin is causing trouble AGAIN!!

"the only students protesting were doing so against the Yingluck government" Every stroke of Thai society was at those protest sites including students, farmers and just about every province was represented and yes there were guns fired at protesters by the police check out the videos of what went on at the ministry of labour at the beginning of Dec 2013

Again Rykbanlor why the laughs?

There is a group of posters on TVF that seem to relate every political issue to Thaksin. They accuse everyone with a different opinion than theirs of being a paid stooge of the evil one. But as this group grows smaller and smaller their claims become more and more outlandish, and it seems more and more likely that in fact they may be paid propagandists for the anti-Thaksin business group. Anyway, these days they don't even try to argue, or hide their agenda.

Edited by In Town

Did it every occur to this "genius" that the students are acting on their own, and for their own beliefs, as students all over the world have done in the past?

Sorry, rhetorical question, as that would require him to actually think.

coffee1.gif

Yep, to add to this, what do the authorities know do they have good intel to monitor the situation. Even if they do would it stop these generals from making statements like this.

There is a group of posters on TVF that seem to relate every political issue to Thaksin. They accuse everyone with a different opinion than theirs of being a paid stooge of the evil one. But as this group grows smaller and smaller their claims become more and more outlandish, and it seems more and more likely that in fact they may be paid propagandists for the anti-Thaksin business group. Anyway, these days they don't even try to argue, or hide their agenda.

That the reds are fully sponsored by Thaksin is clear and they don't even deny it....

I have been here 10 years and I know both red and non-red shirts. Few of the non-red-shirts are actually yellow shirts. They are just decent people sick of having everything stolen by politicians.

Red-shirts are more-or-less communists who think all the money should be gathered up and shared out amongst them. They have no clue - and no interest - in actual democracy. They think that if they can get elected, it means everything belongs to them and they can do whatever they want. I remember a story from a policeman after Pheu-Thai won : he was fed up with red-shirts, telling him they should not be prosecuted because they had won the election.

Non-red shirts always make a much more intelligent argument than any red-shirt I have met and are basically sick and tired of the old-style corrupt governments in Thailand. They understand democracy much more and they want it.

Everything I have experienced in real life is backed up by the comments I see on this forum. The problem in this world is that there is no cure for greed or stupid. I learnt long ago that there is no point arguing with an idiot.

The trouble is the yellow shirts say they want democracy but wont accept the outcome when the reds are voted in over and over.

Can't say i blame them but they cant have it both ways..to keep the populace stupid so their massive fortunes are protected AND expect them to vote for those that want to keep them down.

One thing i dont understand though, every government here scrambles to change the charter to suit themselves, now Prayuth has give himself free range and power..why not just make some REAL restictions on qualifications of prospective MPs??

Not to mention lifetime bans on formerly corrupt pollies.

what do they expect,letting the same dirty dinosaurs back in after 5 years or so?

5 years break makes them snow white again? Haha

Some may not call that 100% democratic, but what democratic country in the world would allow a bunch of very dubiously educated hillbillies at the helm?

Two Minutes Hate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Within the book (1984), the purpose of the Two Minutes Hate is said to satisfy the citizens' subdued feelings of angst and hatred from leading such a wretched, controlled existence. By re-directing these subconscious feelings away from the Oceanian government and toward external enemies (which probably do not even exist), the Party minimizes subversive thought and behavior."

It's interesting to see how concerned the government is with the student movement for democracy. They know, I think, that as this movement grows it will become more and more difficult to control, because the students are actually the children of the elite who run the country. It was easy to portray the red shirts as the "other", as stupid hicks from the countryside unable to think for themselves, but it will be much more difficult to do so to the children of the generals, admirals, and corporate elite.

interesting days folks.

As of 2008, there were around 500,000 students enrolling in uni every year. http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20080731152558319

Do your "elite" breed like flies, or are there many more of them than you would like to admit? Is anybody with a modicum of education and not subsistence farming considered "elite"?

If you really wished to develop an understanding of the nature of power in Thailand, instead of spouting drivel about "Communists" you could try searching on "Eastern Tigers". It's quite easy; just enter "Eastern Tigers Thailand" into Google and you will get a short course on exactly who is in charge here.

In brief, this is the shadowy military clique that intends that neither the likes of the Shinewatras or any other democracy preaching upstarts will ever rule in this land while they control the tanks and the guns. They watch each others' backs, assist each others' promotions and bring out the heavy guns when needed. They were undoubtedly behind the pre-coup chaos organised by Suthep (he more or less admitted this, although General/Mr P quickly denied it). Their aim is to ensure that power and privilege in Thailand will essentially remain with the people who have traditionally held it.

Give it a try. The articles are well written by people who really know Thai politics. You may learn more in 20 minutes than you seem to have grasped in your 10 years here.

"Within the book (1984), the purpose of the Two Minutes Hate is said to satisfy the citizens' subdued feelings of angst and hatred from leading such a wretched, controlled existence. By re-directing these subconscious feelings away from the Oceanian government and toward external enemies (which probably do not even exist), the Party minimizes subversive thought and behavior."

wretched, controlled existence - rice farming

the "enemy" - "elite"

the Party - PTP

I see nothing wrong for the student movement to get any sort of help even though they did not solicit for any. They are brave and are sacrificing their lives for a noble cause of raising awareness of power crazy generals and totalitarian rule. What they have are only their voices but enough to rattle the junta and have the army chief spinning conspiracy theories.

the "enemy" - "elite"

the Party - PTP

You have either not read the book or are intentionally misinterpreting it.

If you really wished to develop an understanding of the nature of power in Thailand, instead of spouting drivel about "Communists" you could try searching on "Eastern Tigers". It's quite easy; just enter "Eastern Tigers Thailand" into Google and you will get a short course on exactly who is in charge here.

In brief, this is the shadowy military clique that intends that neither the likes of the Shinewatras or any other democracy preaching upstarts will ever rule in this land while they control the tanks and the guns. They watch each others' backs, assist each others' promotions and bring out the heavy guns when needed. They were undoubtedly behind the pre-coup chaos organised by Suthep (he more or less admitted this, although General/Mr P quickly denied it). Their aim is to ensure that power and privilege in Thailand will essentially remain with the people who have traditionally held it.

Give it a try. The articles are well written by people who really know Thai politics. You may learn more in 20 minutes than you seem to have grasped in your 10 years here.

Very good reply there Doctor B but I hope you know you are wasting your time with the Junta cheerleaders, truth is they are like the hi-so Thais in that they genuinely believe they know better than the vast majority and cannot be seen to admit they are wrong, sad bitter old men in the main I reckon...

The students will inherit the consequences of decisions and mistakes made today, cant blame them for wanting their voices heard?

But then again you must wonder about government here in 20 years time.

probably will be no-one sitting in parliamentry sessions, all done on mobile phone and LINE

the "enemy" - "elite"

the Party - PTP

You have either not read the book or are intentionally misinterpreting it.

I have read the book and it wasn't even the comic book version. The quote from it was referenced to the situation in Thailand, and I merely made it clear where those references best fit, especially as the first poster In Town had made a claim that Thai uni students, all 2,000,000+ of them, are children of the elite.

as OJ's lawyer said "If the glove don't fit......"

ministry of truth - UDD

Edited by halloween

Yes the red shirts are dirt and should be erradicated from this country. We should identify them and chase them into the south where they can live with the muslims. They dont deserve to have the vote as they are uneducated and buffalo's. On the other hand we have the yellow angels that never do wrong. They are never involved in killing of innocent people and policemen or shutting down airports or government house or paying people to protest. They are all of high standing and can be trusted with our tax money. They should rule the red shirt majority scum with an iron grip, maybe even taking some plays from the apartheid governments play book to suppress any views thats not acceptable.

Before you wake up with a wet one let me make it clear to you that neither the reds nor yellows are right. Your anti red shirt rant are oh so very out dated. We need to unite this country and you don't do it by pointing fingers at the other party and never take any responsibility for things gone wrong in the country.