Enquiry into police who handles actress Anna Reese' fatal police car smash

webfact

When I took the Thai driving test, I am pretty sure the Highway Code, advised pulling OFF the road to get some rest. Not pulling up on the side of the road.

That said, it does not negate from the fact that this is tragic for both parties and probably could have been completley avoidable.

How does anybody know he was asleep?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tragedy all round..she might have been over the limit and he might have been parked up asleep on the road, while he was supposed to be working. What a cluster F.

OFF DUTY ! why don't you read the article again.

well, this is what happened:

she crashed her car;

killed a police officer,

and then somebody made a phone call

that's how she got home right after the 'accident' without an alcohol test

next!

According to a previous article the policeman wasn't sleeping on the job. He was going home to his province, called his wife and said he was too tired to drive and was going to get some sleep.

Going home to his province in a marked official police vehicle? Do the police get 'company cars' now?

'

It happens, cop lives near my house always had several marked police cars outside his house, mostly unused, one was reserved for his wife to go shopping. Same senior cop had 11 civilian employees, most of them hanging around his house.

About 8 months ago he was moved to an inactive post and not allowed to move outside of the moo baan and other cops were prohibited from visiting him. All the cop cars disappeared immediately as did his civilian employees.

This all reminds me of an 'event' I guess about 18 years ago when some 800 senior police were all issued a mid / top range BMW sedan. This made the headlines because it was extravagant and unnecessary.

About two years later the same story hit the headlines again. The auditor general's dept., had just completed a police dept. assets check. Only about 10% (from my memory) of these BMWs could be located.

Edited by scorecard

I feel for the officer and his family but it does emphasize the public's opinion of policemen when they are found sleeping on the job. How do they know that he was sleeping?Was he parked up with his lights on I wonder? No excuse for the crash, but as usual, many questions remain unanswered. RIP

Just wondering, what would I be thinking these days, if I were an ordinary Thai cop?

First the Thong Lor motorcycle cop gets mowed down by the speeding, probably intoxicated Red Bull kid, and the police on scene try to cover it up, and later pretty apparently simply fail to pursue the case or the suspect.

Now this, one of my brother cops gets killed in a car crash by a luk kreung actress, and the officers on the scene let her simply walk/drive away from the crash -- no BAT, not even detained.

In all the reporting on these kinds of cases, we never hear.... what do ordinary Thai cops think when these kinds of things happen?

Do they get angry and outraged? Do they think, boy, I wish I had been there so I could have pocketed some major dosh? Or do they think, well, just another ordinary day in Thailand...

I feel for the officer and his family but it does emphasize the public's opinion of policemen when they are found sleeping on the job. How do they know that he was sleeping?Was he parked up with his lights on I wonder? No excuse for the crash, but as usual, many questions remain unanswered. RIP

I too kind of wondered, how they knew he actually was sleeping in the car at the time of the crash???

But more to the point, the story from police was that the guy had taken a trip to BKK and was returning to his home in the provinces, and had called his wife to say he was late and tired and was going to stop to sleep. There was no indication he was on duty at the time of the crash, despite being in a police car.

In Britain it is not permitted to park even on a hard shoulder beside a road , unless your car has broken down ; then you are advised to leave the car and stand/sit well clear of it .

It is possible that the police car was parked on the road with no sidelights . It is possible too that the girl had been drinking alcohol or perhaps fell asleep at the wheel .

Love means you never have to say you're sorry....love means.....

Sing the rest for me, BIB.

Makes me think of the entertainer arrested last week with ketamine and walked free because "there wasn't enough drugs to prosecute".

Really, now? Isn't that special?

Remarkable. But what happens next?

Edited by FangFerang

Simply check the attending policeman's spending power since. He should be dragged in immediately for failing to do his job properly and preventing any chance of real justice by failing to take a breath test. One does not have to be very smart to see that corruption has taken place here. Lets see if the Police Colonel is for real

"Thainess" IS no breathalyzer after a fatal crash

Yeah.....at least not for those driving a new red plate Benz with lots of cash under the mattress at home....

Just a thought ??

Edited by CapeThai

In Britain it is not permitted to park even on a hard shoulder beside a road , unless your car has broken down ; then you are advised to leave the car and stand/sit well clear of it .

It is possible that the police car was parked on the road with no sidelights . It is possible too that the girl had been drinking alcohol or perhaps fell asleep at the wheel .

No shit Sherlock, this is not the UK....so dream on...??? the two of us can wait until we're blue in the face for the day rules are being enforced here....no such luck mate.. Edited by CapeThai

Hey!..........if you're rich and you're not ready to be arrested............what can a poor boy do?

I do not know what a poor boy can do but even the reasonably rich, & famous cannot start an endangered species rescue charity with guaranteed freedom of operation.

No shit Sherlock, this is not the UK....so dream on... the two of us can wait until we're blue in the face for the day rules are being enforced here....no such luck mate..

Plenty of places in Thailand where u cannot park, which will be extremely important in this case, if the police car was parked in one of them.

Ur right, this isn't UK, but it doesn't mean lawyers don't look for any mitigating circumstances to protect the accused. If he was parked in an area where he shouldn't be, that may well save the woman's bacon.

Possibilities?

what is a fact is she is at least part Thai and as such her driving skills and awareness of her surroundings while at the wheel are almost non existent.

My experience on Thai roads taught me real quick that poor machine handling ability,no use of or knowledge of road rules, little understanding of the need to drive to conditions (wet or poorly maintained roads), is the Thai way. Belief that a higher power will get you through the day if you say your prayers and have the right garland of flowers hanging from your rear view mirror.

In my country I don't give much credit to the general population of road users, here in Thailand it is a different world altogether, no training or poorly trained drivers, no proactive law enforcement the list goes on.

In this case she has a status that means nothing matters at all, she will always get away with it.

On page 2 of the original thread, PP99 posted a picture of the police car at the accident site. It is a suburban street (service rd) and I can make out 10 other vehicles parked there in a mix of parallel and angle parking. If she had slammed into any one of those, we most likely would have heard little of it. But she picked the wrong car, even though it was a marked police car, which happened to have someone in it. http://static.thaivisa.com/forum/uploads/monthly_06_2015/post-37-0-51420800-1435305521.png

There has been no suggestion that his parking was illegal or even inadvisable, except on TVF.

BTW I can't think of any actions of a person in a parked car (sleeping, drinking, choking his chicken or playing the ukelele naked) which would make him in any way culpable for his own death when a speeding vehicle slams into him.

Edited by halloween

Just TOO many people here making comments without reading the OP.

Read the OP and you will know:

whether the cop was on duty or not.

Why the cop was in a marked police vehicle

why the cop was stopped and parked on the side of the road

why they believe that the cop was asleep...........

Before putting your fingers to the keyboard ........................try ACTUALLY reading the Original Posts.......................or please simply dont post anything.

Come on Thai Police are getting a little better but when it comes to a person with money and friends in high places it is the same as it has always been. Never heard what they did to the Red Bull driver that killed a Policemen and even fled. The death of a fellow Police officer and they still left her go home with out any testing. Police feal sorry for Reese because she is crying but not for there dead brother!

Years ago in the UK I was hit by a car whilst on my motorbike. Had to be carted off to hospital in an ambulance.

One of the policemen who attended the scene followed the ambulance to hospital and did a breath test for alcohol after about an hour when it was obvious my injuries weren't as serious as first thought.

No reason at all that similar didn't happen in this case.

Your comparing West against East way of doing things. I can remember back about 25 years ago in my stupider days I was arrested for DUI and I was polluted. The cop waited a couple hours to test me because he had no breath tester and had to wait for one. In that period of time my alcohol level dropped. It was however over the limit. I contacted a lawyer as I needed my license for work. He said no problem I can get you off. He did quite a job in court from questioning whether the machine used was purged properly after its last use to the type of machine used citing past reading anomalies in its performance. Case dismissed and the critical part was how long did the officer actually wait to test me. This would never happen today as the rules have been tightened up. Here the wrench still has not been applied to the rules. Also not to many years in the past the bicycle was the main mode of travel here. Because the giant leap forward to cars came in such a short period of time I think this is why Thailand is a dangerous place to drive in.