New rules about Red plates on motor Bike and Car.

nasa123

How can this work when most garages tell you white plates not ready for 2 months, at least.

Why let reality get in the way of a law that wasn't thought through before it was enacted and will never rarely be enforced anyway?

Anyway, anybody who is scared of getting done with a red plate after the first month should just do what the Thais do - take it off and drive sans plate.

This is Thailand - laws are just made up for fun. thumbsup.gif

Nothing new about the 1 month, has been the law already for a long time.

And white plates are available on the spot, but the dealer has to go to the DLT and pay the taxes on the sale of the car. That's why dealers like to postpone the issuance of white plates, nothing to do (anymore) with availability.

And white plates are available on the spot, but the dealer has to go to the DLT and pay the taxes on the sale of the car. That's why dealers like to postpone the issuance of white plates, nothing to do (anymore) with availability.

I bought my vehice new from a Toyota dealership. I got my tags in less than two weeks when I bought my new vehicle.

I also think some folks just like riding around with red tags to show-off as long as they can...hey, look at me I have a new vehicle...I must be doing good. And then of course you have those who want to wait forever for an auspicious number.

Edited by Pib

I bought my vehice new from a Toyota dealership. I got my tags in less than two weeks when I bought my new vehicle.

I also think some folks just like riding around with red tags to show-off as long as they can...hey, look at me I have a new vehicle...I must be doing good. And then of course you have those who want to wait forever for an auspicious number.

I thought there were rules for driving at night and for going out of the province on a red plate.

I thought there were rules for driving at night and for going out of the province on a red plate.

There are...and those rules are pretty much ignored by the driver and police unless a traffic cop needs some quick money.

There are. Also a rule for height restriction for goods in back up of pick up.

That is what they told a mate of mine when they fined him 500 bath for having a fridge freezer in the back

That is what they told a mate of mine when they fined him 500 bath for having a fridge freezer in the back

Was that on a tollway?

If not, yes, there are height restrictions, but unless he stacked 3 fridges on top of eachother he would not have been in violation.

If on a tollway: the load has to be covered at all times.

Also the ownership book of the car is issued together with white plates, so if you can drive 1 year with red plates and then change to white... when selling your car will be 1 year younger wink.png

The only trouble with this logic is the BUILD DATE on the id plate whistling.gif

June 2015 is still June 2015 in one year or ten

How about fining the dealers instead? My bike came within a month but the car took over 4!

Thats what i told the thai police on spot but who cares. he kept my thai DL at the police station until i go pay the fine.

Edited by itsmylife

Unless the fridge was taller than 20 feet or so, I can't imagine the cop being able to not laugh his butt off.

Experiences vary as much as mileage, obviously.

I bought a new car from a dealer as well with all the necessary papers including an address verification statement from my local immigration. After some weeks passed, we got a call from the dealer notifying us that my address verification statement was invalid due to expiration of the 30 days validity written on it.

I told them I gave them the paper when it was valid and if they failed to deliver it to the license office in time that was their problem and not mine. I was wrong. As it turned out yes they sat on the paper for a while but it didn't matter. The local license office lady said it takes at least 45 days to process a white plate request.

Now here's the catch. I needed an address verification statement in order to buy the car but as it happens I would need another to get the permanent (white) plates for it along with the blue/green (?) book. All the while the address verification statement from my local immigration needed to be valid.

So it took two address verification statements from my local immigration to complete the process at 2 X 500 THB donation. We asked the boss at immigration about her putting a 60 day validity on any future statement and she said she'll never make one good for over 30 days.

I'll just figure on the same process next time I buy a car. Knowing what's in store, I won't feel the same level of annoyance as I did last time.

Edited by watcharacters

I bought a new car from a dealer as well with all the necessary papers including an address verification statement from my local immigration. After some weeks passed, we got a call from the dealer notifying us that my address verification statement was invalid due to expiration of the 30 days validity written on it.

I told them I gave them the paper when it was valid and if they failed to deliver it to the license office in time that was their problem and not mine. I was wrong. As it turned out yes they sat on the paper for a while but it didn't matter. The local license office lady said it takes at least 45 days to process a white plate request.

Now here's the catch. I needed an address verification statement in order to buy the car but as it happens I would need another to get the permanent (white) plates for it along with the blue/green (?) book. All the while the address verification statement from my local immigration needed to be valid.

So it took two address verification statements from my local immigration to complete the process at 2 X 500 THB donation. We asked the boss at immigration about her putting a 60 day validity on any future statement and she said she'll never make one good for over 30 days.

I'll just figure on the same process next time I buy a car. Knowing what's in store, I won't feel the same level of annoyance as I did last time.

Just get yourself a yellow book ... having one only has a few advantages, but that is one of them ... address verification

You don't need an Affirmation of Address to purchase a car... maybe the dealer requests this, but in truth its not needed - Your money and Passport (as ID) are all thats required.

I'm on my 5th car in Thailand - the last two times the dealer asked for my Affirmation of Address upon purchase - both times I had to tell the dealer that the Affirmation of Address is not required at this stage. Both times the dealer double checked and confirmed my understanding.

That said - You do require an Affirmation of Address (or Work Permit, or House Book (with your name in it)) to have the car registered in your name.

There is now an online system whereby you can choose your number etc and book a queue time at the DLT to collect a 'slip' which you then give to the dealership - your plates should take less than 2 weeks after this point. As is very common in Thailand, you can get your dealer to to this for you, or do this yourself which is often quicker.

The dealer asks for the affirmation of address as they are the ones (usually) that organise the car registration.

Yep - But the Affirmation of Address is not required required specifically for the purchase.

Given the 30 day validity of these documents a second visit to Immigration or an Embassy maybe required...

It all comes down to how efficient the dealer is going to be in applying for the registration. In reality, as a number of comments (on this and previous threads) have shown, its quite common that the dealer takes longer than 30 days to apply for Registration.

Perhaps this is changing / improving... Perhaps part of the Purchase agreement could be that the Registration is applied for within a 30 day time frame.

Edited by richard_smith237

Another "new traffic law" thread biggrin.png

To quote myself from a parallel thread:

-------------------------------

"New traffic laws", just had a good laugh when stumbling upon two TV threads from 2010 and 2013.

New Laws For Red Plates Introduced from 2010

Red licence plate restrictions from 2013

You can guess what is written there about carrying red plates for more than 30 days cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

--------------------------------

Don't want to stress you and what was written in 2010 and 2013:

30 days max, 10000 Baht after that biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ