Japan bars relatives from visiting ex-Bangkok cop Kamronwit: Thai Official

webfact

Japan Bars Relatives from Visiting Ex-BKK Cop: Thai Official

By Khaosod English

14358268131435826874l.jpg
A still provided by airport officials showing staff search Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit Thoopkrachang at Suvarnabhumi on 18 June 2015.

BANGKOK — Japanese officials have not allowed the relatives of a former Bangkok police commander to visit him in prison after he was arrested at a Tokyo airport with a firearm, a Thai police spokesperson said.

The former chief of Bangkok’s police force, Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit Thoopkrachang, was arrested with the loaded revolver at Tokyo’s Narita Airport on 22 June while he was preparing to board a Thai Airways flight to Bangkok.

He is currently being held in a Japanese prison while prosecutors decide whether to seek his indictment.

A spokesperson for the Royal Thai Police said Kamronwit's lawyer has asked Japanese authorities to allow his wife and son to visit him.

"These days, only lawyers and diplomatic officials are allowed to visit him," Pol.Lt.Gen. Prawuth Thawornsiri told reporters today.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1435826813

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1435826813

The spokesperson said police are not certain what type of gun Kamronwit was carrying, but believes it was either a small .22 mini-revolver or a .38 revolver. Thai police previously told reporters Kamronwit was carrying the mini-revolver.

"There may be some inaccuracy," Pol.Lt.Gen. Prawuth said.

No shit Sherlock.

i bet he is not sitting on the ground and his cell is bigger than the five foot square one he would be in if he were in thailand. air con too.

The main difference being, there would be no way he would ever he in a Thai prison cell, mates of mates would ensure he was squeeky clean.

Why would he be allowed visitors, at this point he is probably being treated as a terrorist (or he should be) for trying to smuggle a firearm onto an airplane.

Edited by Artisi

"Pol.Lt.Gen. Prawuth said……. told reporters police have not yet determined how the gun ended up in Kamronwit's luggage."

Let's see, hmm, how did it get there….I know…he put it there?

Edited by Bluespunk

"Pol.Lt.Gen. Prawuth said……. told reporters police have not yet determined how the gun ended up in Kamronwit's luggage."

The Burmese gardener did it...silly

i bet he is not sitting on the ground and his cell is bigger than the five foot square one he would be in if he were in thailand. air con too.

I suggest you look up life in a Japanese prison. It is regimented, cold and cruel.

Thais are social creatures. This man will be in solitary. His cell may be clean, but it will be a strict, regimented life. The Japanese are nasty, sadistic people when it comes to prisons. Cruel punishments such as forced standing in uncomfortable positions is not unusual. Beatings are the norm. Ever seen the Bridge Over the River Kwai? The Japanese haven't changed much since then. China often gets shredded by the west, but the Chinese have more compassion than the Japanese, so that should give you a hint.

Now lets get this very straight before it gets off the rails and becomes fact, is this his Thai police mates making an arse-covering statement or the on-the-ball Japanese police making this statement?

I can see a huge difference in a statement such as this - - fact or bullshit.

I suggest you look up life in a Japanese prison. It is regimented, cold and cruel.

Thais are social creatures. This man will be in solitary. His cell may be clean, but it will be a strict, regimented life. The Japanese are nasty, sadistic people when it comes to prisons. Cruel punishments such as forced standing in uncomfortable positions is not unusual. Beatings are the norm. Ever seen the Bridge Over the River Kwai? The Japanese haven't changed much since then. China often gets shredded by the west, but the Chinese have more compassion than the Japanese, so that should give you a hint.

This is spot on. He won't be allowed any reading material not in Japanese either. They can hold him incommunicado for 30 days if they want. Drop a statement in Japanese and get them to sign it. Hence the high conviction rate. They aren't super cops, they are just able to apply a lot of leverage.

OB

I guess, a Japanese Prison must be the hell for Thais. The cells are clean and, compare to Thai cells comfortable. But, the prisoners must follow very strict rules. What they teach the prisoners is discipline.

I guess, a Japanese Prison must be the hell for Thais. The cells are clean and, compare to Thai cells comfortable. But, the prisoners must follow very strict rules. What they teach the prisoners is discipline.

Here's a 3 min you tube breakdown of Japanese prison life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiw2NULDjKM

I am guessing Kamoronwit (aptly named) has been denied family visitors because the authorities are worried they might try to smuggle in some kind of fire arms.

Possibly a .22 or .38 which may or may not be registered, its unclear?

The schadenfreude is really strong with this story. So much so its like a good news story.

Edited by Manbing

I was talking about this the other day. There is still an evil sadist underbelly that runs through Japanese society.

I did not know that. So conditions in a Japanese prison are worse than conditions in a Thai prison?

I feel sorry for him now that you described what he will be going through... NOT!

This is spot on. He won't be allowed any reading material not in Japanese either. They can hold him incommunicado for 30 days if they want. Drop a statement in Japanese and get them to sign it. Hence the high conviction rate. They aren't super cops, they are just able to apply a lot of leverage.

OB

And that's different from Thailand, how?

OB

And that's different from Thailand, how?

Didn't say it was different.

OB

star_big.png
POPULAR

Thaksin put it there??? cummon it's obvious that Lucerfiric Thaksin put it there

star_big.png

POPULAR

Thaksin put it there??? cummon it's obvious that Lucerfiric Thaksin put it there

Hmm now you mention it i think you could have a point here.

ok conspiracy time.

He went to japan to see a rep of the "GREAT MAN" to get an unregistered gun so that a man in black couold make an attempt to kill little sister so that the UDD would rise up against the military

cheesy.gif

Sorry need more caffeine this morning coffee1.gif

I was talking about this the other day. There is still an evil sadist underbelly that runs through Japanese society.

Use IMOP, as in : "In My Own Prejudice" to clarify yourself please.

Awww poor chap, gigglem.gif thats the risk you take breaking laws in another country, harsh eh ? Bit like getting caught with a joint and getting 8 years in Thailand...

Hope the guy gets a good sound thrashing, im sure hes metered or ordered a few out himself in the past. Sam nom na