95 vs E20 fuel consumption question

jadee

Unless you have a high compression / tuned engine , 91 octane fuel will be fine if its E 10. Other wise use 95 octane E 10.  I would prefer not to use E 20 for the reasons ive tried to explain above.  If your riding off-road and have no choice , then OK. Just top up with 91 or 95 E 10 when you can.

For an engine designed for E20, the compression is boosted to get optimal performance. That basically means that if you don't use E20, that engine will require 95 octane. If your engine doesn't require 95 octane that means your performance and economy will suffer using E20.

21 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

If anybody could try to be a bit clear, this thread would be more useful :-)

Theres only so far one can "dumb down" an answer.  Sadly , it seems , you are below this level , by a good amount.

5 hours ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Yes I must be stupid or nobody has been able to clearly explain what s the difference between 91, 95 and E20.

Talking about octane number of 91 and 95 but not of E20.

But I understand that you also don't know. Just wondering why you are pretending.

Ethanol doesn't have an octane. However E20 is usually sold as having a rating of equivalent to 95 octane, though in a report  gave PTT blue  Gasohol E20 collected from September 2011- February 2012 as minimum and maximum RON of 98.4 and 99.3

(RON) = Research Octane Number

you will use about 5% extra or more E20  for an equal distance than pure petrol 

Edited by sometimewoodworker